Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 18th, 2017, 5:36am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Erie's Newark Branch
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Erie Lackawanna
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, Matthew_L, paultup)
   Erie's Newark Branch
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Erie's Newark Branch  (Read 5774 times)
manoferie
TRAINing
Re: Erie's Newark Branch

« Reply #100 on: Sep 7th, 2012, 11:51pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

This is definitely not the station.  It was constructed on the station property during the late 1980s after the station was torn down after a suspicious fire.  the current bldg was never used by the railroad, and was purpose-built as professional offices.  Franklin Ave station was located on the same property approx 100 feet west of the current structure.  

on Apr 6th, 2006, 10:03am, njvike wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Here's where I get confused. I have been told by one resident that this building had nothing to do with the Railroad whatsoever and that the station stood about 100 yards further up. Another resident says this building is not the orginal station but was used by the RR pror to becoming a medical office.  

Robert Millmore's book shows what the station looked like in the 70s which is nothing like the picture I'm showing.

manoferie
TRAINing

« Reply #101 on: Sep 7th, 2012, 11:53pm »

correct.  the west end of the station was about 20 feet to the left of the folks pictured.  the team track switch was located about 100 feet to the right (timetable west).

manoferie
TRAINing

« Reply #102 on: Sep 8th, 2012, 12:05am »

nothing of merit at Paterson Jct.  Originally the Newark Branch passed underneath the DLW Boonton Branch (traces of the bridge abutment can still be seen).  I believe there was a connecting track from the Erie into the DLW's paterson yd.  during EL days, as part of the Route 80 project, the Newark Branch was swung into the Main Line (former Boonton Branch) at Paterson Jct, and a new alignment was created that eventually rejoined the original Newark Branch west of Pat Jct at around Hazel St in CLifton, allowing EL Main Line trains access to the Erie Main at XW in Paterson, and on to Suffern and pts west.  During my youth, the double track main line (Boonton) singled up at Paterson Jct, into which the Newark Branch swung several hundred feet west.  The new main continued as single track to XW where double track resumed.  Recently, NJ Transit double-tracked the route from Pat Jct to XW, eliminating the single track bottleneck.  the actual junction is located at the point where the Garden State Parkway passes over the RR.  nothing remains of the former DLW paterson yard, and to the best of my knowledge, there are no traces of the former Nwk Br alignment between the underpass and the Hazel St Clifton area.

on Apr 6th, 2006, 9:32am, njvike wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I didn't stop at Paterson Junction as I was in a hurry. Anything to see there?

Anyway, the next stop is the Athenia station in Clifton.

manoferie
TRAINing

« Reply #103 on: Sep 8th, 2012, 12:11am »

Nope - XW tower is long gone.  on the former Erie Main Line, HX (hackensack draw), BJ (Rutherford Jct), WJ (Ridgewood Jct), WC (Waldwick) remain.  can't remember whether PAterson lower level tower still exists.

on Apr 6th, 2006, 9:23am, njvike wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Is there a tower still there  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »