Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 23rd, 2017, 4:07am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

C&NW "Transfer Cat", ex-GP7?
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Locomotives and Rolling Stock
   Diesel Locomotives
(Moderators: Lfire83, YeOldeEnjine, jdstew)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: C&NW "Transfer Cat", ex-GP7?  (Read 54 times)
WVa_Jon
Chaser

« on: Feb 18th, 2016, 12:22am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Way back around 1984, "Railfan & Railroad" magazine had a photo and brief text about a "TC10" or something like that. IIRC, the unit was originally a GP7, rebuilt with RS-11 like louvers on the long hood, and had a Cat (TM) diesel installed. The text said the TC stood for "Transfer Cat' and maybe it was rated at 1000 hp.

That was a long time ago, and I wonder if anyone has photos (or where to find them) and final disposition of this basically unique unit. TIA for any assistance.

Norm_Anderson
Historian
Re: C&NW "Transfer Cat", ex-GP7?

« Reply #1 on: Feb 18th, 2016, 11:54pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

WVa_Jon, I did a bit of looking around, and found some photos of a rebuilt engine called a TC-10.  If this is the loco you are looking for, it was originally a GP-9, built in 1958, I think, and rebuilt in the 1980s by Norfolk Southern (or one of its predecessor roads-- maybe SOU or N&W?)  There were five of them, numbered 100 through 104.  The Caterpillar prime mover delivered 1,050 hp.  I believe at least some of them were later sold to shortlines or leasing companies.  Here's a Dave Ritter photo of No. 100 at Decatur, Illinois in 1985, posted on the railroadpicturearchives.net website:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=4058607

Regards,

Norm

« Last Edit: Feb 18th, 2016, 11:56pm by Norm_Anderson » Logged
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »