Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Mar 27th, 2017, 2:49am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Abandon Train Outside Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Locomotives and Rolling Stock
   Diesel Locomotives
(Moderators: Lfire83, YeOldeEnjine, jdstew)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Abandon Train Outside Philadelphia, Pennsylvania  (Read 260 times)
Doc5252
TRAINing
View Profile  

11894579_931996476842042_3617242114361309186_o.jpg - 73337 Bytes
« on: Oct 7th, 2015, 9:13pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I photographed this a couple miles north of 30th Street Station in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania while heading south.  It looks like this train has been sitting there since the 80s.

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (73337 bytes, 1638x864 pixels)

Click Here to View Image 11894579_931996476842042_3617242114361309186_o.jpg - 73337 Bytes

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Abandon Train Outside Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

« Reply #1 on: Oct 12th, 2015, 8:19pm »

Car looks like it was in AMTRAK service before it was abandoned. Engine MIGHT have been (bloody nose, eh?) - an E8/E9 do you think? Awful blurry, can't see much, car MIGHT have been a Keystone car.

Doc5252
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: Oct 12th, 2015, 9:08pm »

To me it looks like a good candidate for restoration.  Looks like it's been sitting there for a while.

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Oct 13th, 2015, 10:54am »

Doc5252 - Clyde - Lodge Members -

The very tired looking, apparently BUDD built venerable Car. The earliest KEYSTONE Train equipment had the obvious,  
much lower line of windows in the larger part of the seating area. That is, at each end of the Car, one needed to walk  
down (IIRC) two steps for access to seats. PENNA RR found riders did not favor it...

Can't recall particulars of AMTRAK use of KEYSTONE name, going forward from 1971...

............................Vern............................

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: Oct 14th, 2015, 9:59pm »

on Oct 13th, 2015, 10:54am, HwyHaulier wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Doc5252 - Clyde - Lodge Members -

The very tired looking, apparently BUDD built venerable Car. The earliest KEYSTONE Train equipment had the obvious,  
much lower line of windows in the larger part of the seating area. That is, at each end of the Car, one needed to walk  
down (IIRC) two steps for access to seats. PENNA RR found riders did not favor it...

Can't recall particulars of AMTRAK use of KEYSTONE name, going forward from 1971...

............................Vern............................

Darn - you are right, Vern. NOT a Keystone car (thinking of the special Keystone set AMTRAK took over from Pennsy). Didn't they use a ramp instead of steps for the level change? But does look like a Budd car. Maybe - I THINK I see a corrugated roof, diagnostic for Budd equipment.

« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2015, 10:01pm by ClydeDET » Logged
HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #5 on: Oct 15th, 2015, 7:37am »

Clyde - Lodge Members -

SIGH! Old memories are often not all that reliable. For fact, can't recall whether the KEYSTONE Cars used a ramp or steps  
at each end to get to/ from the seating. Either could have been problematic if surfaces became wet.

The KEYSTONE Train (and seems to me there was only one) indeed the 'Last Stand' for PENNA RR thinking on how to do  
higher speed NEC Rail. The somewhat later METROLINER project was US DOT, FED thinking and design all the way...

In the instant Photo, the aging Car in view. IMHO, it a BUDD. Used to be your writer could look at the window arrangement,  
and know the Car type. With this one, Photo not of such quality so to easily figure type and floor plan...

.......................Vern.....................

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
FrankieJ
Enthusiast

« Reply #6 on: Jun 20th, 2016, 7:47pm »

I just came upon this thread. I believe what you see is the equipment and building that is owned by Juniata Terminal. Not sure if that is the correct name for this outfit. They restored 2 E8s in PRR livery that had been used on various fan trips.

Frank
Doc5252
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #7 on: Jun 20th, 2016, 9:04pm »

The photo was taken in late November of 2014 about 10 miles north of Philadelphia, PA on the Northeast Corridor.  It can't be the PRR E8s, because I think I saw them completed at Streamliners at Spencer, earlier that year in NC.

Henry
Historian

« Reply #8 on: Jun 21st, 2016, 1:14am »

That would be be ex-Amtrak E9 401, exx-B&O E9 36/1455 at Bennett Levin's Juniata Terminal. I think it was moved there in 2002. I have read that it is a parts source for their PRR E8's. It was built in May of '55 with builder #20378 as B&O 36 and retired by Amtrak in 1981. I believe it is now known as JTFS 36.

FrankieJ
Enthusiast

« Reply #9 on: Jun 21st, 2016, 8:49pm »

As far as I know, that E, about 2 passenger cars, and at least 1 caboose are still sitting there. If you look on Bing maps, you can see them. The building is a bit west (rr south) of Frankford Jct .The building is between B and G street overpasses on the south side of the tracks. You will have to rotate the bird's eye view 180 degrees so that you are looking south.

Frank
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »