Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 24th, 2017, 5:58am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Ge to Move Loco Production to Ft. Worth
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Locomotives and Rolling Stock
   Diesel Locomotives
(Moderators: Lfire83, YeOldeEnjine, jdstew)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Ge to Move Loco Production to Ft. Worth  (Read 298 times)
towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« on: Apr 9th, 2013, 8:08pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Well after reassuring the citizens of Erie that the new Texas plant would not spell the end of production in typical business fashion GE announces today up to 950 jobs will be eliminated from the Erie plant.  

http://www.goerie.com/article/20130409/NEWS02/304099917/GE-to-move-950-jobs-out-of-Erie?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Railfan Safely, And always respect private property.
George_Harris
Historian
Re: Ge to Move Loco Production to Ft. Worth

« Reply #1 on: Apr 9th, 2013, 9:55pm »

They probably figured out that doing business in Texas was far cheaper than doing business in PA.  Along with everything else, for that matter, cost of living, etc.

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: Apr 10th, 2013, 11:15pm »

Very true,  

Texas would be much cheaper for labor costs, southern states in general are. This is an issue that the Northeast has faced for decades. Texas is a right to hire state or as some say "right to fire" Employees rights are not as well established as they are in the north. Ergo the bottom line for me is that these are not numbers but 900 plus lives being effected by the move. For many of these 900 workers have wives, husbands, children, etc.

Its just a shame GE spent a good amount of time reassuring Erie that GE was there to stay. Oh well never trust big business or big government, neither care much about the middle class..

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #3 on: Apr 11th, 2013, 6:12pm »

The workers would be welcome here. Tejas is a pretty good place to live. Friendly to people who want to work and enjoy the fruits of labor. Don't even have anti-union laws (though the unions don't like us being a right-to-work state, meaning no closed shops or union shops). House costs and general cost of living is moderate. Firearms friendly.

If the workers wanted to follow the jobs, i reckon GE would happily hire them on for the Tejas plant.

Oh - the link to the article doesn't work - claims the article "may no longer exist".

« Last Edit: Apr 11th, 2013, 6:14pm by ClydeDET » Logged
k5sss
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: Apr 15th, 2013, 2:42am »

on Apr 10th, 2013, 11:15pm, towny72 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Employees rights are not as well established [in Texas] as they are in the north.

That's the thing, though.  Texas acknowledges the right of people to work if they want without having to pay protection money (aka "dues") to union bosses/mobsters.

It's not "Southern States" in general, either; over 80% of jobs created over the last decade have been in one state: Texas.

And non-union doesn't always mean lower-paid, either.  The highest-paid auto workers in the country are at non-union plants in AL and MS.  Not only do auto workers in MI et al see a large chunk of their paychecks stolen by union bosses, they also get paid less to start with--and over 90% of them have lost their jobs anyway over the last two decades, while the auto industry is growing rapidly in other states that are more worker- and business-friendly.

Last person out of the Rust Belt, turn the lights off!  (If they haven't already gone out due to the failing infrastructure, that is.)

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #5 on: Apr 15th, 2013, 10:17am »

I cant disagree with what you guys are saying. My job has me working all over the east from Alabama up to Maine, and I see growth everyday down south and loss up north all the time.  

Sad part is in the north people keep voting for the same people/party that promises jobs, going after big business, and social programs for those with out jobs but for the past 30+ years they have not delivered...

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #6 on: Apr 15th, 2013, 5:54pm »

on Apr 15th, 2013, 10:17am, towny72 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I cant disagree with what you guys are saying. My job has me working all over the east from Alabama up to Maine, and I see growth everyday down south and loss up north all the time.  

Sad part is in the north people keep voting for the same people/party that promises jobs, going after big business, and social programs for those with out jobs but for the past 30+ years they have not delivered...

And if you find a time machine and jump ahead thirty years, I predict the fools will STILL be voting for the same failed programs which will STILL be failing.

Lfire83
Historian

« Reply #7 on: Apr 15th, 2013, 7:42pm »

I moved out of the western New York area as soon as I had the money to do so, fortunately at the age of 22 before having kids or a house payment. I spent some time in Amarillo and Ft Worth and both are very attractive places. I even entertained going to work for the KCS TexMex Sub after the roadmaster of that line was interested in hiring me. However, on my first trip to Georgia I was hooked, and by the second trip I was bidding on houses. Business flourishes here, and many new plants have opened in the short time I have been here. The largest coal fired plant in the country is in the county I reside (although far downwind and out of the water table from me) and is expanding, Caterpillar announced a brand new facility near Athens producing small equipment, a major nuclear power plant expansion near Augusta, and closer to where I work, a major new plant is soon to be announced on the short line I work for.

George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #8 on: Apr 16th, 2013, 1:43am »

Clyde, I think you have it exactly right.  

And, while we are talking about businesses moving south, I cannot understand why the gun manufacturers have not long since done it.  Staying where they are makes as much sense as having a pig processing plant in Jerusalem.

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #9 on: Apr 16th, 2013, 7:42am »

towny72 - All -  

Ah! This one a Never Ending Story! Now (and has it been this long?), five decades after the fact, had much the same ring to it to be Buffalo all over again.

Even then, the Upstate NY Business community made constant noises that: It couldn't deal with high costs, much associated with the Legislature treating  
Upstate as a "cash cow" so to subsidize "Five Boros" ambitions and burdens. A great deal of signaling that moves to the South appeared more and more  
attractive. Which is exactly what many did!

When I was at Buffalo, there was such a huge manufacturing base! Example, check any garage for CRESCENT TOOLS. Used to be, I used to make this  
sales call on the firm, which had been sited in near Downtown Buffalo! It was simply one of a huge list of firms which subsequently left town...

.........................Vern......................

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
penn_senseless
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #10 on: Apr 23rd, 2013, 11:08am »

I wouldnt get too cushy about texas or the south. If international corporation GE finds its cheaper to build engines in India, Mexico, Singapore, or more likely China, which, trust me, they will, well...kiss your Fort Worth plant goodbye.  Give it about 10 years. It will be gone eventually. but not till they try to bleed more concessions out of texas state government.

As for workers...they will just as likely hire workers from Algiers than Abilene. Ever hear of our wonderful H1B visa program that companies like Caterpillar push? They are GLOBAL companies...and thats what that means. they can hire anyone from anywhere. Im sure that new plant will be as AUTOMATED as possible. Im beginning to think these companies would rather contract a social disease that hire people. to me, its just  more proof the US is in permanent irreversible economic decline regardles of whats going on in Texas. And, when you get swamped with displaced northerners, which you will, you'll require more roads, schools, infrastructure,  schoolteachers, police (they are union BTW thanks to President Kennedy), jails, etc and HIGHER TAXES to pay for it all, on top of your electric bills, which are the highest in the country. Ask former BN chairman Louis Menk about that. Will you then be gloating about all that money you then are supposedly are making "down south"?

And as well, Just wait till that immigration amnesty goes through. Theyll be going to texas and california. after all, they want it back. And all the associated issues that brings....MORE TAXES. Its inevitable.

Meantime, they can pay people to stay home. I know I would appreciate the extra leasure time if I was a GE Erie ex employee. So good riddance, GE.  

Who wants to live in an OVEN anyways?

« Last Edit: Apr 23rd, 2013, 11:42am by penn_senseless » Logged
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »