Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jun 26th, 2017, 8:06am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

GE vs. EMD-from a professional railroader's perspective
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Locomotives and Rolling Stock
   Diesel Locomotives
(Moderators: Lfire83, YeOldeEnjine, jdstew)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: GE vs. EMD-from a professional railroader's perspective  (Read 883 times)
jcpdeke
Railfan
View Profile  

« on: Oct 14th, 2011, 8:47pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I apologize if this topic has been brought up before; I searched but couldn't find it.

A question for any professional railroaders out there (not foamers who rant)-why do EMD locomotives appear to enjoy more longevity than GEs? I picked up a copy of Sterling's used railroad equipment catalog, and I saw several ads for C30-8s, B40-8s, and other fairly new GEs, looking like Class 1's were getting rid of them.  

These GEs, I believe, are younger than EMD's SD40-2, yet the GEs are being sent out to pasture, whereas the SD40-2s, in large numbers, continue to run on Class 1's.  

Many thanks for your insights on this. I'm curious about this, since GE supposedly outsells EMD.

Les_Shepherd
Historian
Re: GE vs. EMD-from a professional railroader's perspective

« Reply #1 on: Oct 18th, 2011, 6:39am »

This is a very good question. The answers are just as applicable here.

The iron ore lines in Western Australia were originally equiped with Alcos and these were upgraded to GE's mostly Dash8's and Dash9's. It has only been in the last decade or so that they have commenced equipping with EMD's.

The reasons can only have an engineering and technical base; but what is it?

It should be remembered that these locomotives are operating in climatic conditions diametrically the opposite of those in North America.

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: Oct 22nd, 2011, 8:40pm »

Have a friend who is an engineer on coal trains out of the Powder River Basin (for UP). He started on C&NW and became a UP employee with merger. He considers current GEs superior to current EMDs from the view of the operator in the cab. Run better, pull better, easier to control, are more reliable over the road.

cn2220
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Oct 25th, 2011, 11:04pm »

I'll take a Dash 9 over an SD70 or 75 any day.

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
bagus70
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: Jan 21st, 2012, 12:54am »

Hi, I'm a newcomer from Indonesia. I'd like to comment about the competition between EMD and GE.

It seemed that the competition between both builders doesn't always took place in North America, but also on overseas too.

In West Europe, the competition is between the Class 66 (EMD) and Blue Tiger (GE). In that case, it seemed that Class 66 is the dominant one.

In my country, the rivalry between GE and EMD does exist, unless they don't always go head to head.

Eggroll
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #5 on: Mar 14th, 2012, 1:39am »

I work for the CN in the locomotive repair shop... and the CN from what I understand having not worked on other railroads, has one of the largest varieties of engines, the only standard being that we don't have any AC engines yet.  All our traction is DC.  

I'd say I enjoy working on 70s more than GEs because they're more fun.   I think the GEs are a little more reliable.  They have impressive fault logs that get uploaded to Erie, PA and it'll spit out a troubleshooting sheet to isolate the problems.  Also, kudos to GE because their schematics have a LOT of information crammed in them.  Big kudos again to the evolution series because you can see just about everything on the engine, including contactor status and all kinds of stats and figures on the computer screen in the cab.  

Also, the newer SD70m-2 engines have had all kinds of problems that the 70s and 75s never saw.  We've had to have prime movers and generators replaced while it was under warranty.  We've had computer chassis catch fire, all kinds of wild stuff happen to those engines.  I think I prefer the EMDs a bit but that's because it's probably just a bit of bias on my part.  EMD dynamic brakes have better extended range capabilities which make track testing more fun.  

I don't know man, that's just my 2 cents.

arielemd
TRAINing
View Profile  

Imagen_885.jpg - 279069 Bytes
« Reply #6 on: Apr 3rd, 2013, 8:28pm »

Hi all:

I want to discuss a case outside the U.S., where they presented a rivalry between GE and EMD. In 1957, Argentina reached 25 locomotives EMD G12-W, Bo-Bo, 1.425 to 1310 HP. And in 1962 came 45 GE U13C, Co Co, HP 1420-1300. The rivalry that existed in the U.S. appeared to be susceptible to 'abuse', that is, the hard work, which the'' tired'' mechanically, while the G12 were pure hot road!. But the U.S. had the advantage of an excellent electrical and pneumatic system, which made ​​them stand out compared to the electrical system of the G12.

The FIAT brand repowering engines showed that these were less reliable than the supposedly unreliable FDL. And until one of them received a used engine Alco 251 B!, Which retains to this day.

However, some still working and U13C G12-W. Here some pictures:

G12W

This units operates on a passenger railroad named Ugofe Linea General Roca:

http://forums.railfan.net/images/resize/g12.jpg

http://forums.railfan.net/images/resize/Imagen_885_880x653.jpg

U13C

This unit operates on a freight railroad named Ferrosur Roca:

http://forums.railfan.net/images/resize/6008_836x627.jpg

This unit operates on a freight railroad named ALL:

http://forums.railfan.net/images/resize/3u_13_concordia-2.jpg

This unit operates on a public passenger railroad named Ferrobaires, and this motor have a Alco 251 engine. Note the'' hump'' on the hood to accommodate the engine room:

http://forums.railfan.net/images/resize/u136022_1600x1200.jpg

[i][/i]

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (279069 bytes, 1600x1188 pixels)

Click Here to View Image Imagen_885.jpg - 279069 Bytes

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »