Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Aug 21st, 2017, 9:38pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

GE/EMD Loco Info/Specs Here For The Asking.
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Locomotives and Rolling Stock
   Diesel Locomotives
(Moderators: Lfire83, YeOldeEnjine, jdstew)
   GE/EMD Loco Info/Specs Here For The Asking.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: GE/EMD Loco Info/Specs Here For The Asking.  (Read 4409 times)
RogerThornhill
TRAINing
I have to ask what may be considered a dumb question

« Reply #40 on: Jul 4th, 2007, 5:50pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

But, I've read lots of info on locomotives, and one basic question I still don't know the answer to is;

What does "MAC" stand for?  For example, the SD90MAC has DC traction motors being run from rectified AC current from the alternator.  And I see that true AC locomotives with AC motors are labeled "AC", so what's with the MAC?  "Motified" AC or something?

CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

Re: I have to ask what may be considered a dumb question

« Reply #41 on: Jul 5th, 2007, 12:00am »

on Jul 4th, 2007, 5:50pm, RogerThornhill wrote:       (Click here for original message)
But, I've read lots of info on locomotives, and one basic question I still don't know the answer to is;

What does "MAC" stand for?  For example, the SD90MAC has DC traction motors being run from rectified AC current from the alternator.  And I see that true AC locomotives with AC motors are labeled "AC", so what's with the MAC?  "Motified" AC or something?
The "M" is for "Modified". The designation was first used on some UP SD60s that were the first ones built with the North American Cab. At the time this was a modification from the then standard cab. My how times change.
CHESSIEMIKE

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
mattchew
TRAINing
Re: GE/EMD Loco Info/Specs Here For The Asking.

« Reply #42 on: Oct 30th, 2007, 7:31pm »

You wouldn't happen to have access to the wiring schematics for a GP 7 would you? I'm having trouble tracing down a problem. The unit I'm working on was rebuilt in 84 and converted to a 9. They rewired but left some of the old wiring, I have been getting a draw off my batteries and I trying to find the short. I know that the only two hot lines when the night switch is pulled should be the water dump and the radio, but wondered if it might be specific to this particular engine.
Matt

CN Sparky
Enthusiast
View Profile  

Re: GE/EMD Loco Info/Specs Here For The Asking.

« Reply #43 on: Mar 28th, 2008, 4:13pm »

on Oct 30th, 2007, 7:31pm, mattchew wrote:       (Click here for original message)
You wouldn't happen to have access to the wiring schematics for a GP 7 would you? I'm having trouble tracing down a problem. The unit I'm working on was rebuilt in 84 and converted to a 9. They rewired but left some of the old wiring, I have been getting a draw off my batteries and I trying to find the short. I know that the only two hot lines when the night switch is pulled should be the water dump and the radio, but wondered if it might be specific to this particular engine.
Matt

I've got a plate of a GP7 on my work computer... still in need?

Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »