Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Mar 27th, 2017, 2:42am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

SW1200 with an unusual feature
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Locomotives and Rolling Stock
   Diesel Locomotives
(Moderators: Lfire83, YeOldeEnjine, jdstew)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: SW1200 with an unusual feature  (Read 717 times)
CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

« on: May 1st, 2002, 11:29pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

At the Trains forums some one asked about the addition on the hood in front of the cab on this locomotive
http://gelwood.railfan.net/drgw/drgw133ags.jpg
Any ideas?
CHESSIEMIKE  

« Last Edit: Sep 27th, 2013, 9:21pm by CHESSIEMIKE » Logged

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
sd50
Railfan
View Profile  

Re: SW1200 with an unusual feature

« Reply #1 on: May 6th, 2002, 12:51am »

I work with SW1200s and I can't see anything strange about this one. I see a battery box between the steps and cab, a radio antena on the roof, exhaust stack extensions so you don't kill the crew.  If you could be more specific I could provide a better answer.

CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: May 6th, 2002, 8:13pm »

Look at the section of the hood where the Dynamic brakes would be if it had them and you will see what I am asking about.  Most all SW1200 that I have seen have the hood taper down to the cab.  If you look you can see this taper outline but there is something on top of it.
Hope this is good enough to get an answer.
CHESSIEMIKE

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
sd50
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #3 on: May 6th, 2002, 10:25pm »

Yeah I see it. I looked at one of our units and didn't notice this before. That is right above the generator. I don't  see any cooling fans or vents that would indicate dynamics. I would like to see inside the cab and generator compartment on this unit.

CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: May 7th, 2002, 8:21am »

Me too!  Ask around, someone knows what its for.
CHESSIEMIKE

CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #5 on: Dec 14th, 2002, 10:49pm »

on May 1st, 2002, 11:29pm, CHESSIEMIKE wrote:       (Click here for original message)
At the Trains forums some one asked about the addition on the hood in front of the cab on this locomotive
http://gelwood.railfan.net/other/drgw/drgw133ags.jpg
Any ideas?
CHESSIEMIKE

I find it hard to believe, , that someone has not been able to let us know what is under the addition.
CHESSIEMIKE

pontiac59
Railfan
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #6 on: Dec 15th, 2002, 2:41am »

All the engines in this series shown here have this addition (131-134).  It's likely for the addition of dynamic braking, as on Lehigh Valley SW8M's and Reading MP15's.  The link came up as bad, but here is a correct one:

http://gelwood.railfan.net/drgw/drgw131abn.jpg

The newest photo shows one in 1998 so these units likely still exist although UP has probably disposed of them by this point - X2200S or Diesel Era may shed some light on this.

Chesapeake
Chaser

« Reply #7 on: Dec 15th, 2002, 4:29am »

Might be a electrical Cabnet update, most dynamic equiped switchers utilized large boxes above that covering the 2 center cab windows facing the long hood.

Matthew Mitchin
Chessie SD50 8563

Maumee & Cuyahoga Rail System.
NARA Member #22

TO-RA Founding Member.
http://evans.railfan.net/TORA.htm
CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #8 on: Dec 15th, 2002, 7:01am »

on Dec 15th, 2002, 4:29am, Chessie_SD50_8563 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Might be a electrical Cabnet update, most dynamic equiped switchers utilized large boxes above that covering the 2 center cab windows facing the long hood.

That was my first thought when the question was asked.  However, the two styles of DB on switchers that I can find are different from this.  Also I don't see any fan or vents.  Thanks for looking.  
CHESSIEMIKE

NJ Railfan
Historian

« Reply #9 on: Dec 15th, 2002, 1:17pm »

Here's another view:

« Last Edit: Dec 15th, 2002, 1:20pm by NJ Railfan » Logged

Check out My Railroad Photos!

http://www.railroad-photography.com/

*All photos posted on this site and my website are copyright protected, please do not use without my permission. Thanks.*
CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #10 on: Dec 15th, 2002, 3:52pm »

Sorry, did not notice my link was dead.  Thanks NJ railfan for the help.
I also think an eastern road had this on some of their's, don't remember the one though.  
CHESSIEMIKE

cn2220
Historian
  302.jpg - 17238 Bytes
« Reply #11 on: Jan 5th, 2003, 6:05pm »

Here's a Canadian Forest Products SW1200 with Dynamic Brakes. This is unit 302, a Cat-repowered SW1200 with DB. Gordon Hall photo.

Canadian Forest Products owns 4 of these units. 301-304. Unit 304 was bought second hand from the Coos Bay Lumber Co. 301-303 were purchased new from GM. Number 303 has been delcared surplus and could be up for sale soon.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/DieselTypes/302.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
EMD_TRAIN_FAN
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #12 on: Jan 14th, 2003, 8:36am »

It took me a while to get my hands on  it, but I have a copy of the EMD build order for the D&RGW 130-139.  

Aside from unseen operational extras, this order shows that they were built with an oversize 930 gallon fuel tank equipped with EMD direct reading gauges and Air Maze panel type oil bath engine air intake filters.  Could these filters have a special housing requirement?  

Other extras include things like metal awnings over the cab side windows and wind deflectors.  There doesn't seem to be anything else that different in their "as built" configuration.

EMD_Train_Fan

Keepin' The Old Ones Rollin'
CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #13 on: Sep 27th, 2013, 9:30pm »

Jumping around at this site: Fallen Flags and Other Railroad Photos shows this feature changed during the D&RGW days.
Look at the different photos for #130-#139 and see.
CHESSIEMIKE

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »