Saturday 16th September saw F7 locomotive (road number 4201) operate its first heritage train following a major overhaul costing $120,000.
4201 entered service in November 1955 with the New South Wales Railways. Construction was in Sydney by the licence holder from EMD. Differences from US F7s include a longer frame and body which allowed for 3 axle trucks (Co-Co) instead of 4, and the use of the 567C engine with its associated upgraded components. This was a significant improvement from the 567B. In all respects it is an F7 with some customisation to suit local operating conditions.
The colour scheme carried was first applied in 1980 to commemorate the 125th anniversary of NSW Railways. The image depicts the locomotive during a layover at Moss Vale in the Southern Highlands south of Sydney while working a heritage train to the annual Spring Tulip Festival in nearby Bowral.
Image exceeds Forum display limit of 300000 bytes. (451895 bytes, 750x500 pixels)