Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 24th, 2017, 6:06am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

D&H 34 foot yellow hoppers..Any info?
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Delaware & Hudson
(Moderators: Matthew_L, x600, NKP759fan)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: D&H 34 foot yellow hoppers..Any info?  (Read 169 times)
LV LOU
Historian

« on: Nov 4th, 2012, 12:51pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Just wondering if anyone has any info on the yellow D&H 34 foot hoppers? Were these coal,or ore cars? Any approximate build date,numbers,how many were built,what they hauled,from/to where,ETC? Atlas makes a yellow 3 bay in N scale,I figured put how to make them into a 34 footer without repainting them,and I have a pile of them.

When it hits the fan,be the fan...
infantry327
TRAINing
Re: D&H 34 foot yellow hoppers..Any info?

« Reply #1 on: Nov 5th, 2012, 10:22am »

The Yellow D&H hoppers you asked about were built by Bethlehem steel and delivered in 1965 #'s 100- 240 then #'s 241- 365 were built the next year, they were painted yellow with black ends and blue lettering. Sometime around 1977 the cars were painted black with yellow and or white lettering. The cars were used to haul ILMENITE ore from the Tahawas mines just north of North Creek, NY. After the ore traffic died the cars were used in a variety of service. Hope this helps.

infantry327
TRAINing

« Reply #2 on: Nov 5th, 2012, 10:36am »

I forgot to mention that the ore was mined for its Titanium. National Lead opened the mine just after WWII and the mine closed in 1982, the ore was hauled to two locations, New Jersey and St. Louis.

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #3 on: Nov 5th, 2012, 7:07pm »

Interestingly enough, the Saratoga & North Creek RR is working to restore service to Tahawas on the old D&H branch.

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

moderator- D&H, Erie Lackawanna/Erie and LA&L/B&H/WNYP

P.S. All aboard for the last train to Hammondsport!
firstbelt
Historian

« Reply #4 on: Nov 5th, 2012, 8:30pm »

on Nov 5th, 2012, 10:22am, infantry327 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
The Yellow D&H hoppers you asked about were built by Bethlehem steel and delivered in 1965 #'s 100- 240 then #'s 241- 365 were built the next year, they were painted yellow with black ends and blue lettering. Sometime around 1977 the cars were painted black with yellow and or white lettering. ...

I was trying to recall color of lettering - thanks.

D&H #188 around 1971 hauling coal:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=3153268

« Last Edit: Nov 5th, 2012, 8:32pm by firstbelt » Logged
LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #5 on: Nov 5th, 2012, 10:03pm »

Thanks guys! Just about what I needed to know.Did the D&H run solid blocks of these cars? How many at a time? Being the ends/bottom are black,the job just got easier..LOL!!

When it hits the fan,be the fan...
infantry327
TRAINing

« Reply #6 on: Nov 6th, 2012, 9:04am »

Not sure how many car were in a block but most pictures I have seen seem to be between 6-12 car blocks but not sure if this was standard practice, also just from a modeling standpoint some of the cars remained in their yellow paint for the remainder of their careers, in fact #191 was in yellow in Oneonta, NY back in the early 2000's until it was scrapped. Also the weight of the ore did not allow the cars to be filled to capacity. When these cars were loaded the ore was hot and would blister the paint so the reporting marks and capacity info were on plates that were attached to the carbody ribs so they wouldnt peel or blister. The D&H's color guide by Morning Sun Books has pictures on pages 73, 74, 75 which show both paint schemes and how the cars weatherd from ore service.

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »