Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 22nd, 2017, 11:08pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

D&H Roll Call
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Delaware & Hudson
(Moderators: Matthew_L, x600, NKP759fan)
   D&H Roll Call
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: D&H Roll Call  (Read 176 times)
NKP759fan
Historian
View Profile  

D&H Roll Call

« on: Jan 10th, 2012, 10:36pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I saw this on other forums and thought it would be a good idea to get to know each other better. I know this forums been slow but I'm sure alot of people just browse this forum for the pictures and information etc. I'll start off with a little background about myself. I grew up in Taylor, PA not far from Taylor yard. I remember many a time I overlooked the railyards there from a vantage point at a local carwash. I'm sure I may have seen some D&H units but I was too young to remember. I volunteered my time at Steamtown National Historic Site around 2005-06 and wish I still had time to do that because I learned so much from volunteering there and the awesome behind the scenes commmoraderie that visitors cannot truly experience. My current profession is in the law enforcement field which takes up most of my time. I first gained interest in the D&H when I was at a local Barnes and Nobles bookstore and saw the D&H book written by Jim Shaughnessy and immediately gained an avid interest in the D&H, and all local anthracite railroads for that matter. It's amazing how they did so much with so little back then. L.F Loree is by far the most interesting President of the D&H mainly with his ambition to push the limits of the Steam Locomotive's efficiency. Other than that rf.net is my relaxation time after work LOL, bringing me to an era where everything was much simpler people took pride in their work. Any other questions for me dont hesitate to ask! I look forward to hearing from you all!

Nickel Plate Road "Berkshire" #759
Built: August 1944
Builder: Lima Locomotives Works
Driver diameter: 69 inches
Boiler Pressure: 245
Coal: 22 tons
Water: 22,000 gallons
Retired: 1958
Used on the famous High Iron Excursions
http://www.cr.nps.gov/history/online_books/steamtown/shs2o.htm
Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

Re: D&H Roll Call

« Reply #1 on: Jan 11th, 2012, 8:37pm »

Great idea! I am a native of the Southern Tier in upstate NY... living in Elmira and then Hammondsport as a kid. I became aware of the D&H after it gained trackage rights on Conrail's Southern Tier Mainline (ex-EL). It was a treat to see those old Alcos make their final stand on a Class 1 during the late '70s and '80s. I live in Rochester (NY) now, but I make a point of getting out to see former D&H locomotives wherever I can find them... chasing the C424ms on the B&H, photographing the rare RS36 that was on the Upper Hudson RR or riding an excursion pulled by the Bicentennial RS3m #506 on the Tioga Central RR.  Besides the D&H and the B&H, my RR-related interests include the EL, LV, NS, CP, CSX, LA&L, FGLK and various other assorted shortlines across the Northeast and Great Lakes.

« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2012, 8:39pm by Matthew_L » Logged

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

moderator- D&H, Erie Lackawanna/Erie and LA&L/B&H/WNYP

P.S. All aboard for the last train to Hammondsport!
x600
Historian
  DHuboats.jpg - 64754 Bytes
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13th, 2012, 3:37am »

I'll chime in here as the other Mod, so's not ta be left out.....
.... I grew up in South Scranton, along side off the Penn Division Mainline.
The D&H was Black RS3's and S-Series switchers and the wooden caboose when I look back to my early memories. One set of grandparents lived next to the Wyoming Ave. branch on Capouse Ave. and the the other one lived along the Lackawanna main in Gouldsboro. Everywhere I went there was railroad activity, including the CNJ across the river and a peek at the Bloom coming through Bellevue from behind the smoking culm pile. I guess I was destined to be a railfan.
 Later, the Lightning Stripes and Extended Vision caboose brightened up the D&H, Lackawanna became E-L their stuff was turning black, my little pea brain couldn't figure it out, but the sight and SOUND of 4 or 5 Alcos  and 2 or 3 pushers making for Carbondale and beyond is etched deeply in that pea brain!
 After a tour in the Army in the late 70s, I came back to find pretty much everything changed.   The D&H was running on the ex EL, Conrail was taking up the tracks in the Poconos, and when I tried to share the history with my kids, it was like some of these these things didn't exist anymore.
 The bright spot was the coming of Steamtown and being around at the beginning was great. I got a chance to share the excitement of trains with my two daughters and they have an appreciation for railroads and railroad history because of the time we shared trackside.
 Around the same time, I got back into model railroading in N-Scale and have spent my time since then trying to recapture my memories in my models.
Because of several false starts and moves, I was never able to complete a layout to capture some of what I saw, but through the years I have collected and painted a large roster of D&H equipment. A move to Washington State in the late 80s and getting involved with an NTrak club allowed me to run my trains without having to build a layout.  
I pretty much have everything in print and video relating to the D&H and almost all of the D&H n-scale models produced, so a few years ago, I started to work on collecting and building my roster of Lackawanna and E-L trains.
 The development of the internet has probably been the best thing to happen for me, being far away, in that I can still be in touch with people who were there and have pictures and information to share.
 I  always look forward to seeing pictures or hearing stories or information about the railroads of my youth.
Greg O.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/DH/DHuboats.jpg
Click Image to Resize

NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #3 on: Jan 20th, 2012, 6:52pm »

I am a Jersey boy, born and raised here. As a kid in the 70's we visited my relatives and stayed with my grandparents in Carbondale Pa. What a great place for a young railfan to watch and photograph trains. The D&H crews were very friendly and more times than not, I got an invitation by the local crew to come aboard the engine or caboose for a ride through the yard. My favorite RR's at the time were the EL and NYS&W. The D&H to me was BIG TIME railroading with the large trains and pushers struggling to climb Ararat. In later years I was able to visit and photograph many other D&H locations - one of my favorites being Mechanicville NY.  
I've posted some of my favorite D&H photos on this site and have learned quite a bit  here. Thanks to all that have contributed.

scottychaos
Historian

« Reply #4 on: Jan 24th, 2012, 10:09am »

I first picked up a camera and pointed it in the direction of a train when I was 14 years old in 1983..I lived in Waverly NY, 45 minutes east of Binghamton on Conrail's Southern Tier Main, and D&H, Guilford and Susquehanna power ran though Waverly daily during that era..(running via the D&H traffic rights on Conrail between Binghamton & Buffalo)..great time to be trackside! D&H & Susquehanna Alcos still in the mix daily, and the amazing variety of Guilford power..this is what made me a D&H fan..Once I started to drive, I took many trips to the D&H mecca of Binghamton. I now live up in Rochester, NY, but I still visit family in Waverly all the time, and I will be a D&H fan for life!

Also, since I was born in nearby Sayre, PA, I was also a LV fan! but I was only 7 years old in 1976..I missed the LV by only a few years! The D&H Alco C420's and GP38-2's that were still running through Waverly were a nice link to the LV..(notice the LV nose stripes showing through on D&H 7317!)

Scot

Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #5 on: Jan 24th, 2012, 8:35pm »

Hi,

I'm Charlie and my first interests in trains were first rooted in Albion, NY, which is about a 40 minute drive west of Rochester. As a 4 year-old in 1975, my brother and I would count the cars of Penn Central freight trains blasting though the village, blowing for 6 grade crossings.

However, I didn't become a big time railfan until my older brother asked me if I wanted to drive down to Altoona for their Railfest in 1998, along with a couple other guys. We went to the fest, which included tickets to Horseshoe Curve, the Railroader's Museum and a tour of then-Conrail's Juniata Shops. That was all it took and I was hooked for life!

Since then, I started shooting video footage in 2003, but now prefer still photography. Today I live in Greece, a suburb just northwest of Rochester and enjoy spare time getting shots of the local railroads around Rochester, and anywhere across the Empire State.

My favorite "fallen-flag" railroads are LV, Erie-Lackawanna and NYO&W, as well as the D&H. I like the old diesels, Alco in particular.

Charlie

~Charlie Ricker

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »