Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 24th, 2017, 7:41pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

The Gravity & the Honesdale branch
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Delaware & Hudson
(Moderators: Matthew_L, x600, NKP759fan)
   The Gravity & the Honesdale branch
« No topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: The Gravity & the Honesdale branch  (Read 1470 times)
NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

Re: The Gravity & the Honesdale branch
  DH_Waymart_Pa.jpg - 122854 Bytes
« Reply #20 on: Jan 28th, 2011, 9:10pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Almost forgot about this one. In Waymart it is also possible to locate and follow the Honesdale branch which was is a different alignment than the Gravity it replaced.  

Here is the Honesdale branch station which is a few blocks away from the Gravity station. Nice to have this in your backyard.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/DH/DH_Waymart_Pa.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Geoff
Railfan

« Reply #21 on: Feb 2nd, 2011, 4:06pm »

Here is a link to a Lackawanna County map Ca 1923 showing the layout of the Honesdale branch at Carbondale. Note that the branch had a wye with one leg going to Carbondale and the other towards Archbald: Scroll to the right margin to find Carbondale.

ftp://ftp.dot.state.pa.us/public/pdf/BPR_PDF_FILES/Maps/Type_10_GHS_Historical_Scans/Lackawanna_1923.pdf

This second map is from 1953, notice the Honesdale Branch has been cut back below White's Crossing. The Switchback is gone, the honesdale branch was abandoned in 1931, but part of it was kept in service to allow rail access to the Coal Breaker above Carbondale. (Racket Brook Breaker?)

ftp://ftp.dot.state.pa.us/public/pdf/BPR_PDF_FILES/Maps/Type_10_GHS_Historical_Scans/Lackawanna_1953.pdf

The 1966 map shows the leg to Archbald gone:

ftp://ftp.dot.state.pa.us/public/pdf/BPR_PDF_FILES/Maps/Type_10_GHS_Historical_Scans/Lackawanna_1966.pdf

The 1980 map shows the abandoned Archbald Branch cut short of the wye and no evidence of the track above the wye:

ftp://ftp.dot.state.pa.us/public/pdf/BPR_PDF_FILES/Maps/Type_10_GHS_Historical_Scans/Lackawanna_1980.pdf

Lots of missing info here, but the maps give a good idea of the track layout.

The former Honesdale branch is indeed interesting, having been in operation for just over 30 years.

« Last Edit: Feb 2nd, 2011, 4:32pm by Geoff » Logged
Geoff
Railfan

« Reply #22 on: Feb 2nd, 2011, 4:30pm »

The next map shows the track layout for the Honesdale branch in Wayne County in 1916: Scroll halfway down the left margin to find Waymart.
ftp://ftp.dot.state.pa.us/public/pdf/BPR_PDF_FILES/Maps/Type_10_GHS_Historical_Scans/Wayne_1916.pdf

Note how the steam Road had to use a loop track to loose altitude on the way to Honesdale! This almost mirrored the "Shepherd's Crook"on the old gravity line that was turned into a switchback because the loop was too tight for steam lokies.
The grades on the gravity were too steep for steam to utilize.

mike_nepa
Historian

« Reply #23 on: Feb 2nd, 2011, 5:54pm »

That map is very helpful, I will have to go check this out when the snow melts. Of course I will post my findings.

Mike

on Jan 25th, 2011, 9:15pm, NEFAN wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Mike - The section of the Honesdale branch that I am familiar with left the main in Carbondale and looped back over the town. I see on your site where the line from Archbald connected. The section that runs through Carbondale to "old" Rt6 is easy to locate on Google maps. I outlined it in red. It crosses "old" Rt6 about a 1/4 mile before the junction with "new" Rt6. It is still dirt and doesn't look much different than the photo from the '70's. ( the Chrysler is gone though  ) You can also follow it in White's Crossing which is above Simpson.  
I haven't walked it in many years, so if you go, take pics and let us know what you find.

Geoff
Railfan

« Reply #24 on: Feb 3rd, 2011, 11:40am »

If the snow melts!

The steam RR station in Waymart is owned by a local historian IIRC. The stone base to the water tank is still there also, it is used for something (Garden Shed?) and has a door and roof. Water tank is long gone.  

The station at Farview still exists. It is owned by the prison and is in use, be careful if you take photos of it, they might get antsy given all this Homeland Security stuff currently in vogue. Farview was once a popular tourist stop.  

Remnants of the Honesdale branch and the north leg of the Wye still exist but mostly on private property. The wye itself is on some commercial property that is posted and off limits.  

NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #25 on: Feb 3rd, 2011, 8:40pm »

Hopefully we can all get out if the snow melts!  

Thanks for the map links.
Is that what that round building was? I though it was something out of a Harry Potter movie! Interesting.  

In the early 90's I worked for a Laboratory system company that installed systems in Jails in PA & NJ. After finishing up, I left the jail and drove over to the Fairview station to take a picture. I had just lifted my camera when I heard the dreaded "HEY YOU!!". A guard in a pickup truck wanted to know what I was up to since NO PICTURES were allowed anywhere near the jail. I told him that I was just going to shoot the station but he wouldn't allow it. He pointed toward the exit and I left.  
The last time I was in the area I noticed lots of warning signs, so I passed on trying that again.

henryS
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #26 on: Feb 5th, 2011, 3:40pm »

None of those map links don't open for me. Is anybody else having problems with this? Thanks!

Here's the message I get:

Safari can’t open the page.
Safari can’t open the page “ ftp://ftp.dot.state.pa.us/public/pdf/BPR_PDF_FILES/Maps/Type_10_GHS_Historical_Scans/Lackawanna_1980.pdf ”. The error is: “The operation couldn’t be completed. (NSURLErrorDomain error -1.)” (NSURLErrorDomain:-1) Please choose Safari > Report Bugs to Apple, note the error number, and describe what you did before you saw this message.

« Last Edit: Feb 5th, 2011, 3:41pm by henryS » Logged
henryS
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #27 on: Feb 5th, 2011, 3:51pm »

OK, links seem to be working now. BTW, the 1923 map is inaccurate: it doesn't use the correct symbol for electric railroad for the L&WV (Laurel Line), a (mostly) outside third rail line betw. Scranton and W-B.

NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #28 on: Feb 6th, 2011, 8:44am »

[This second map is from 1953, notice the Honesdale Branch has been cut back below White's Crossing. The Switchback is gone, the honesdale branch was abandoned in 1931, but part of it was kept in service to allow rail access to the Coal Breaker above Carbondale. (Racket Brook Breaker?)

The Racket Brook Breaker was just on the other site of Rt6, so possibly it still was in business after 1931. (Anyone know for sure?) I was told that coal was still being loaded on the branch. This may have been minerun coal that was transported to another D&H breaker. Interesting stuff.

mike_nepa
Historian

« Reply #29 on: Feb 10th, 2011, 5:08pm »

Sounds like exploring the northern section might be a problem.  

Mike

on Feb 3rd, 2011, 11:40am, Geoff wrote:       (Click here for original message)
If the snow melts!

The steam RR station in Waymart is owned by a local historian IIRC. The stone base to the water tank is still there also, it is used for something (Garden Shed?) and has a door and roof. Water tank is long gone.  

The station at Farview still exists. It is owned by the prison and is in use, be careful if you take photos of it, they might get antsy given all this Homeland Security stuff currently in vogue. Farview was once a popular tourist stop.  

Remnants of the Honesdale branch and the north leg of the Wye still exist but mostly on private property. The wye itself is on some commercial property that is posted and off limits.  

Geoff
Railfan

« Reply #30 on: Feb 11th, 2011, 11:23am »

When the Jail was built many artifacts of the gravity were removed. One of the stone posts was relocated to the parking overlook on Rt 6 that has the historical marker and lump of Anthracite.  

Part of the old roadbed has been obliterated by the prison.  

There was a publication done on the history of the Honesdale branch, it is listed on the Honesdale historical society's web page but is no longer available. Also the Historical Society has a VHS program on the branch, they had a showing at Steamtown several years ago.  

Would love to find a copy of either or both!

NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

DH_Honesdale_Br_Carbondale-2.jpg - 383603 Bytes
« Reply #31 on: Feb 12th, 2011, 9:11am »

on Feb 11th, 2011, 11:23am, Geoff wrote:       (Click here for original message)
When the Jail was built many artifacts of the gravity were removed. One of the stone posts was relocated to the parking overlook on Rt 6 that has the historical marker and lump of Anthracite.  

Part of the old roadbed has been obliterated by the prison.  

There was a publication done on the history of the Honesdale branch, it is listed on the Honesdale historical society's web page but is no longer available. Also the Historical Society has a VHS program on the branch, they had a showing at Steamtown several years ago.  

Would love to find a copy of either or both!

Sounds interesting, I didn't know they existed. I'll also have to see what is available.  
I added the yellow line to the map which shows the Gravity loaded track above plane one in Carbondale. In the 70's you could find it easily on the other side of Racket Brook. With the new housing, it may be more difficult to get to, but it should still be easy to locate.

Image exceeds Forum display limit of 300000 bytes. (383603 bytes, 2400x1350 pixels)

Click Here to View Image DH_Honesdale_Br_Carbondale-2.jpg - 383603 Bytes

NKP759fan
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #32 on: Feb 12th, 2011, 10:09am »

I'm sorry for my lack of presence in this forum Gentlemen, work has taken up most of my time LOL, but very interesting pics, keep em coming! I was offroading on the old PCC Gravity Railroad in the Elmhurst Area and went through the old tunnel carved out of solid rock, very amazing how intact it still is. Although it's not D&H related, I will post pics of it along with many other relics of that era!

Nickel Plate Road "Berkshire" #759
Built: August 1944
Builder: Lima Locomotives Works
Driver diameter: 69 inches
Boiler Pressure: 245
Coal: 22 tons
Water: 22,000 gallons
Retired: 1958
Used on the famous High Iron Excursions
http://www.cr.nps.gov/history/online_books/steamtown/shs2o.htm
mike_nepa
Historian

« Reply #33 on: Feb 14th, 2011, 5:45pm »

I too have offroaded that area and been through the old gravity tunnel. There are some remains of the planes in the area. There is also an old trolley line that once served Moosic Lakes when it was an amusement park. The pictures are posted on my site. (the old one for now until I move them over)

Mike

on Feb 12th, 2011, 10:09am, NKP759fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I'm sorry for my lack of presence in this forum Gentlemen, work has taken up most of my time LOL, but very interesting pics, keep em coming! I was offroading on the old PCC Gravity Railroad in the Elmhurst Area and went through the old tunnel carved out of solid rock, very amazing how intact it still is. Although it's not D&H related, I will post pics of it along with many other relics of that era!

NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #34 on: Mar 25th, 2011, 6:45pm »

on Feb 6th, 2011, 8:44am, NEFAN wrote:       (Click here for original message)

[This second map is from 1953, notice the Honesdale Branch has been cut back below White's Crossing. The Switchback is gone, the honesdale branch was abandoned in 1931, but part of it was kept in service to allow rail access to the Coal Breaker above Carbondale. (Racket Brook Breaker?)

The Racket Brook Breaker was just on the other site of Rt6, so possibly it still was in business after 1931. (Anyone know for sure?) I was told that coal was still being loaded on the branch. This may have been minerun coal that was transported to another D&H breaker. Interesting stuff.

It looks like the Racket Brook Breaker was in business until 1957. It's out put was very low, so I doubt it was still a rail shipper at that time. I'm still interested in finding out when the track above Carbondale was finally ripped out.

dhsxdf
TRAINing

« Reply #35 on: Oct 25th, 2012, 11:15pm »

The question was asked how did they get to the Honesdale Branch from the D&H main at Carbondale.
Just North of Pike St. on track #2 was a switch call Lookout Jct. which took you onto the Honesdale Branch. Later yeas after Honesdale Branch was removed it was called the Racket Brook Lead which ended at a point north of Wayne St. (it crossed Wayne St.) The track ran along side Courtland Ave to the Racket Brook Breaker. (I knew it in my time as the Jim Beddy Breaker) The tracks (2) extended all way to Lincoln Ave were empty hoppers were kept. This area is still a empty lot on the South side of Lincoln Ave,( 4 houses East of Marion Community Hospital)if you look north it is now Morgan St and is now paved, follow to E. Garfield Ave, North side of  E. Garfield the right of way is still visable, should be able to follow it to Rt 6.
About one or two miles South of Wayne St there was another switch called Quackenbush and went to the DeAgelis Breaker which was located behind Russell Park sports field. Operations on this lead end in 1970 - 71. The DeAgelis breaked worked many years later with the use of trucks. I am not sure when it finally closed, I think it had a fire that did it in. I am not sure when the Racket Brook Breaker closed and when the tracks were taken up.
I do hope this helped you guys out. If anyone would like me to show you some of  the area I would only be happy to do it.
tpeagle@echoes.net

dhsxdf
TRAINing

« Reply #36 on: Oct 25th, 2012, 11:53pm »

I want to make a correction to my last post.

It is not Morgan St it is Morgan Place, I forgot they had to change it from St. to Pl. city already had a Morgan St.
The switch to the DeAngelis breaker is Bushwick not Quackenbush, where I got that I will never know, that's what happens when you get old.

NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #37 on: Oct 27th, 2012, 10:19am »

thanks - Great information! I walked most of that branch back in the mid 70's, but it was torn up by that time. I have a photo I took of a crossbuck posted here. It was where the branch crossed over Wayne St near that retaining wall.  

I remember the line crossing Pike St. I thought is was on Gordon, but my memory is from along time ago also.  

I find it interesting that the branch existed up to Lincoln ave  into the 70's. Where exactly was the Jim Beddy breaker street location? Amazing that it was that close to the hospital.  

I am familiar with the DeAgelis Breaker. Most of those old breakers seemed to have burnt down in their last years.

The D&H also served the Powderly breaker. Would you know when that trackage was last used?

dhsxdf
TRAINing

« Reply #38 on: Oct 27th, 2012, 3:59pm »

The Racket Brook Breaker and the Jim Beddy breaker were one in the same, it changed oweners over the years.
The Powderly Breaker was long gone but sideing was still used for a long while. The sideing was fixed up in the late 70's and coal loading plant was being built at the Northend of Carbondale Yard behind ready mix co. There was a deal in the making about using the culm for fuel, it was to be shipped to Korea and there were test loads sent to the docks in New Jersey that were shipped to Korea. The hoppers were loaded at the Powderly sideing. It was to be used in their power plants. There were great expectations on all sides and the Koreans felt that it was a good enough grade to use in their power plants. For some reason the deal fell through and that was the end. The steel was up for the loading plant and thats where it stood for a few years until some one took it down.
I had some pictures taken when the inspection train was in Carbondale  looking at the plant being built. I cannot find those pictures if I do I will scan them for all to see.

dhsxdf
TRAINing
  scan20001.jpg - 72323 Bytes
« Reply #39 on: Oct 27th, 2012, 6:09pm »

Here is the photo I promised of the inspection train. If you look on the left side over PA 19 you will see the steel work of the breaker.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/DH/scan20001.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2012, 6:16pm by dhsxdf » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« No topic | Next topic »