Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 22nd, 2017, 11:05pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

D&H in Carbondale Pa
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Delaware & Hudson
(Moderators: Matthew_L, x600, NKP759fan)
   D&H in Carbondale Pa
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: D&H in Carbondale Pa  (Read 4582 times)
TJ_1867
Chaser
Re: D&H in Carbondale Pa

« Reply #60 on: Dec 20th, 2010, 5:39pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

The track that came off of WC Cabin was called the Thoroughfare and it ran from WC, south and connected to the north end of the yard. You could actually run from one end of the yard to the other. As far as using it, i was on it maybe twice, because to come out at WC cabin you had to get the Albany dispatcher involved. Also when i hired out they where still working on that bridge, we had a flagman on duty during work hours, a protection job, i never caught that job to low on seniority.
 For your info, the Penn Division went to a place just south of Windsor NY.
 Regarding the spur going into that building it was gone by the time i came around.
            TJ

NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #61 on: Dec 20th, 2010, 7:26pm »

on Dec 19th, 2010, 7:13pm, Matthew_L wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Regarding your last picture- is the D-L going to revive this spur?

As Mike mentions, it would be pretty unlikely. The old mainline track runs the length of the yard. If the development of the yard continues, then a spur could be run off it. I would like to see the steel company property at the north end redeveloped into a rail cutomer, if only to see additional track back in service.   It is interesting to watch  the Carbondale yard redevelopment.

NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #62 on: Dec 20th, 2010, 7:32pm »

on Dec 20th, 2010, 5:39pm, TJ_1867 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
The track that came off of WC Cabin was called the Thoroughfare and it ran from WC, south and connected to the north end of the yard. You could actually run from one end of the yard to the other. As far as using it, i was on it maybe twice, because to come out at WC cabin you had to get the Albany dispatcher involved. Also when i hired out they where still working on that bridge, we had a flagman on duty during work hours, a protection job, i never caught that job to low on seniority.
 For your info, the Penn Division went to a place just south of Windsor NY.
 Regarding the spur going into that building it was gone by the time i came around.
                                                    TJ

TJ thanks for the information. What year was the road overpass built? Was there any special reason for the movements from the yard through WC?

WVTransplant

View Profile  

« Reply #63 on: Jan 1st, 2011, 2:09pm »

Source:  http://www.italygenes.com/minefire/carbondale.html

I came across these when looking for information on the Carbondale mine fire.  I figured this thread is an appropriate place to share a little D&H and O&W mix.

One last photo, although too large to post in the thread:  
http://www.italygenes.com/minefire/Aerial.jpg

« Last Edit: Jan 1st, 2011, 2:31pm by WVTransplant » Logged
NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #64 on: Jan 2nd, 2011, 5:28pm »

Great photos. Thanks for posting. The Carbondale mine fire was catastrophic to that neighborhood and didn't get the coverage that the later Centralia Pa mine fire received.

NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

DelawareHudson_RS11_5003_P2_Carbondale_Pa_4_77_2_861x585.jpg - 62240 Bytes
« Reply #65 on: Jan 5th, 2011, 6:45pm »

My first introduction to the D&H was when I came across P2 switching Carbondale yard. I cautiously approached the engine to get a picture figuring the crew might tell me to scram. Imagine my surprise when the engineer leaned out of the cab with his camera and took my picture! From that time on I was always invited up into the caboose or engine while the crew was switching the yard. I later gave them photos of the wooden caboose and the engine as a token of gratitude.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/DH/DelawareHudson_RS11_5003_P2_Carbondale_Pa_4_77_2_861x585.jpg
Click Image to Resize

NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

DelawareHudson_RS11_5011_Carbondale_Pa_8_76_874x583.jpg - 62384 Bytes
« Reply #66 on: Jan 5th, 2011, 6:51pm »

Riding on the outside of the engine around the Y track was my favorite. The track made an incredible noise.
You can see the diesel shop to the right.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/DH/DelawareHudson_RS11_5011_Carbondale_Pa_8_76_874x583.jpg
Click Image to Resize

NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

DelawareHudson_RS11_5011_P2_Carbondale_Pa_8_76_876x593.jpg - 61997 Bytes
« Reply #67 on: Jan 5th, 2011, 6:55pm »

Pulling through the yard. That wood caboose was in immaculate condition.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/DH/DelawareHudson_RS11_5011_P2_Carbondale_Pa_8_76_876x593.jpg
Click Image to Resize

NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

Lackawanna_Valley_RS36_5019_Carbondale_Pa_1994.jpg - 47577 Bytes
« Reply #68 on: Jan 6th, 2011, 8:36pm »

post D&H. 1994 I believe at this time this was the Lackawanna Valley RR?

At the time this was the end of the line in Carbondale.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/DH/Lackawanna_Valley_RS36_5019_Carbondale_Pa_1994.jpg
Click Image to Resize

TJ_1867
Chaser

« Reply #69 on: Oct 19th, 2012, 10:02pm »

NEFAN, you asked about the bridge at Simson, it was being built in early 1976, we had a trainman there as a protection job, (as we called them), any time work was to be done around railroad property, a trainman was on duty to protect the contractors.  
  As far as the diesel house was concerned, to my knowledge it was never used, my sources where my other train crew members, who worked out of Carbondale from the early 40's until they moved to Green Ridge yard, however i might be wrong, dhsxdf would know better, because he hired out before me, we did put cars of flour behind the diesel house for a company called Pitta Shells.   TJ

NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #70 on: Oct 20th, 2012, 8:48am »

Seems like a waste of money to build such a building and never use it. when I was there the track leading into the building on both sides was not connected to the yard trackage. There were also two sanding towers on the north side tracks. The MOW trucks were also parked inside.  

I have see a picture of an early D&H diesel being turned on the roundhouse table, so that was used for the diesels, but for how long I don't know.

I rode on the diesel a few times when spotting that car behind the diesel shop. We pushed the car around the Y and if I remember correctly that track was part of the Y itself. It ended right across from the old bridge that crossed the river and led to the Gravity Shops.

dhsxdf
TRAINing

« Reply #71 on: Oct 27th, 2012, 4:24am »

The diesel shop was in use when I started at Hudson. The engine was serviced and fueled and sanded. They keep one engine there for the P jobs. There was a yardmaster on duty at Carbondale. Would work a few hours set up the work and then go to Green Ridge to finish out his day. This lasted till late 71 early 72. The signal dept., M of W, B & B, electricians,
agent and police dept., had their offfices there and keep there trucks there. One bay was used by MofW to work on their machines.
The flour cars were unloaded by Falbo Dairy they made the pizza crust for Pitta shells.

NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #72 on: Oct 27th, 2012, 9:19am »

ok - that makes sense. The servicing of engines in Carbondale was over by the time I was there in 1974. With the other departments, it was still a busy place though.  

One of my favorite things to check out in between trains, was to watch the welded rail being made in the yard. One of the workers came over to me one time with the usual "can I help you?" and I told him I was just watching. He gave me a quick tour of how things worked. That is what I found of most of the people I met there at the time. - very friendly to a teenager interested in the goings on in the yard.

NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #73 on: Oct 27th, 2012, 8:46pm »

dhsxdf - more questions...  
Would you know what type of switching work was done at the Coal Brook powerhouse area near the Carbondale yard? I remember quite a few Burlington box cars rusting behind it. I'm not sure when that was shutdown.  

dhsxdf
TRAINing

« Reply #74 on: Oct 28th, 2012, 12:23am »

The box cars you saw at that time belong to John C. Bauman who was a scrap dealer, he keep all kinds of stuff in those cars. There was tie plates,spikes,parts of signals, switch stands, frogs, barrels of bolts and nuts. Some of this stuff was from the O&W. These cars were used for storage. How do I know what was in them? We peeked in the cars.
There was one track that was used for coal loading. There was loading ramp that trucks used to load the cars, when full they would drop the loaded cars down the lead to be picked up. There was a switch off #1 main.

dhsxdf
TRAINing
  scan20001.jpg - 72323 Bytes
« Reply #75 on: Oct 28th, 2012, 12:40am »

I should have posted this picture on this thread. This was the inspection train that was on the first sub. They were here to inspection the new brakeer and loading facillites being built in the Carbondale yard. The shippers and company officals were on the train. They were going to ship culm to Korea to be used in their power plants but for some reason the deal fell through If you look to the left of the picture above PA 19 you can see it.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/DH/scan20001.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Oct 28th, 2012, 12:42am by dhsxdf » Logged
TJ_1867
Chaser

« Reply #76 on: Oct 28th, 2012, 10:07pm »

I can share a story about the culm that was being shipped to Korea. I was on the local freight out of Green Ridge and i am guessing we switched that industry about 3 or 4 times, they where loading the cars in Mayfield Pa., we switched it on a southward movement at a point north of MF Cabin off of track #2.   17 cars seems to be the number of cars we put in there at a time (memory fading), when we picked up the loads, i would walk across the top of the cars knocking off the handbrakes, and i always wondered how they would use this stuff, because it looked and felt like dirt, we would then take the loads to Green Ridge yard to weight the cars, the first group of cars we where weighing, the first 6 cars where way over weight, and when we weighted the seventh car we heard a very loud pop and the scale broke, the MOW department had to steal parts of the scale in Colonie NY, to fix the scale in Green Ridge, i remember taking some of the loaded cars back to Mayfield so the contractor could MTY some of the culm (dirt).

TJ

NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #77 on: Oct 29th, 2012, 10:07am »

Great story TJ. They did figure out how to burn that stuff and alot of the culm banks that I remember are now gone. There is at least one power plant in the area that is still burning it. There still seems to be alot of it just northwest of Carbondale that could still be reclaimed. Too bad the Korean shipping didn't work out.
I am still amazed at the green "Hills" surrounding the area. This was all culm, but after the state cleaned it up it looks much better.  

NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #78 on: Oct 29th, 2012, 10:13am »

on Oct 28th, 2012, 12:40am, dhsxdf wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I should have posted this picture on this thread. This was the inspection train that was on the first sub. They were here to inspection the new brakeer and loading facillites being built in the Carbondale yard. The shippers and company officals were on the train. They were going to ship culm to Korea to be used in their power plants but for some reason the deal fell through If you look to the left of the picture above PA 19 you can see it.

Thanks for posting this. I remember that back in the 70's those piles were so high that they cast a shadow over the yard. I would always try to get a photo of mainline power picking up welded rail cars in the yard. If the pickup came in the afternoon, which it always seemed to be, the shadow would ruin the lighting for the picture.

dhsxdf
TRAINing
  scan0004.jpg - 91105 Bytes
« Reply #79 on: Oct 29th, 2012, 11:52am »

Its funny that you mention the rail train at Carbondale. When went looking for that picture I posted I found some pictures thatwill show a move not too many people knew about or forgot. The one and only time that I know of that the Baldwin RF-16 1205- 1216 was on the First Sub-Division. I think it was NE84 brought the power down and set it off in Carbondale Yard. The power was used to take a rail train to Oneonta. The crew was marked out of Hudson. I was working 3rd trick operator at Hudson and knew this move was going to be made. Finished my shift and beat it to Carbondale to catch the move. Got there just as they were making the set off. I never checked may camara ran out of film and I only got these shots. As far as I know they are the only know pictures of the Sharks in Carbondale.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/DH/scan0004.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2012, 11:54am by dhsxdf » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »