Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 24th, 2017, 6:17am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

D&H in Carbondale Pa
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Delaware & Hudson
(Moderators: Matthew_L, x600, NKP759fan)
   D&H in Carbondale Pa
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: D&H in Carbondale Pa  (Read 4590 times)
NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

D&H in Carbondale Pa
  Carbondale_Pa_DH_roundhouse_1976_3.jpg - 61390 Bytes
« on: Jul 9th, 2010, 8:58pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Moving this discussion from "Upgrades coming from Scranton to Carbondale" thread.
I spent lots of time in the 1970's roaming around the Carbondale yard and roundhouse, visiting the old tank engine inside. In addition to the engine, the roundhouse was full of junk including old busses and trucks, mounds of debris and old machinery.  The D&H maintenance crews that were housed in the old diesel shop, used the roundhouse as a kind of dumping ground. Now that I have a better appreciation for "junk", I wish I could go back and look around!!

Attached is a pic I took of the interior and you can see some of the debris. I wonder who got the smoke vents. Serious scrap value there.

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (61390 bytes, 932x636 pixels)

Click Here to View Image Carbondale_Pa_DH_roundhouse_1976_3.jpg - 61390 Bytes

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

Re: D&H in Carbondale Pa

« Reply #1 on: Jul 9th, 2010, 10:15pm »

If the roundhouse was torn down in '76, I'm guessing the D&H would've sold the vents for scrap. Again that is a guess- I'm not 100% sure that's what happened.

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

moderator- D&H, Erie Lackawanna/Erie and LA&L/B&H/WNYP

P.S. All aboard for the last train to Hammondsport!
TJ_1867
Chaser
Re: D&H in Carbondale Path

« Reply #2 on: Jul 9th, 2010, 11:14pm »

I believe the roundhouse was torn down much later than 1976. There was a company called Rail-Trac located in the north end of the yard, they welded rails together and loaded them on rail trains. The D&H rail train consisted of 34 gondolas (i am sure there are pictures out there some wear it was painted blue) I  know it had 34 cars because we had to put handbrakes on EVERY car. I also remember spotting empty rail trains and when they where loaded take them south to Green Ridge for the N&W and also a train or two for Conrail. It was all brand new rail for the N&W and Conrail.  
NEFAN if you around during that time you most likely have seen this operation because it was always very dusty and dirty.
Back to the roundhouse, my conductor at the time( i don't know if i can mention names someone let me know) who hired out in the mid 40"s took me over to the roundhouse to show me around. I do remember seeing that little engine along with all the junk.
Glad you posted those pictures, it brought back alot of very good memories, it was fun to work with all the oldtimers and it was a good time to work on the D&H, believe me it got bad when other companies came around.

F3_4_me
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Jul 9th, 2010, 11:22pm »

on Jul 9th, 2010, 10:15pm, Matthew_L wrote:       (Click here for original message)
If the roundhouse was torn down in '76, I'm guessing the D&H would've sold the vents for scrap. Again that is a guess- I'm not 100% sure that's what happened.

That roundhouse lasted into the late 90's..  Someone got the saddletanker, I'd hope it's still around.  

Micah

When I joined the ARHS in '92, my occupation was listed as '3rd Grade'.
NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

Carbondale_Pa_DH_roundhouse_1976_745x475.jpg - 32121 Bytes
« Reply #4 on: Jul 10th, 2010, 1:47pm »

Yes, the engine still survives. See "Upgrades coming from Scranton to Carbondale" thread for other info.

I found another pic I took in 1976.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/DH/Carbondale_Pa_DH_roundhouse_1976_745x475.jpg
Click Image to Resize

NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

DH_RS11_5003_Carbondale_Pa_1976.jpg - 49863 Bytes
« Reply #5 on: Jul 10th, 2010, 2:26pm »

on Jul 9th, 2010, 11:14pm, TJ_1867 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I believe the roundhouse was torn down much later than 1976. There was a company called Rail-Trac located in the north end of the yard, they welded rails together and loaded them on rail trains. The D&H rail train consisted of 34 gondolas (i am sure there are pictures out there some wear it was painted blue) I  know it had 34 cars because we had to put handbrakes on EVERY car. I also remember spotting empty rail trains and when they where loaded take them south to Green Ridge for the N&W and also a train or two for Conrail. It was all brand new rail for the N&W and Conrail.  
NEFAN if you around during that time you most likely have seen this operation because it was always very dusty and dirty.
Back to the roundhouse, my conductor at the time( i don't know if i can mention names someone let me know) who hired out in the mid 40"s took me over to the roundhouse to show me around. I do remember seeing that little engine along with all the junk.
Glad you posted those pictures, it brought back alot of very good memories, it was fun to work with all the oldtimers and it was a good time to work on the D&H, believe me it got bad when other companies came around.

Yes, I remember the rail welding train.  Since big power rarely stopped in the yard, (GP38,39, Uboats) I would check to see when the loads were ready to be picked up, so I could get a pic of something else beside the usual RS11 or RS36 powered locals.  
Quick Roundhouse story: The D&H crews always repeated the story of the VP who spent money on an engine washer right before the roundhouse was shut down. I have never been able to verify this.  

I found a pic of those blue gons being switched by one of my favorite D&H engine types in Carbondale yd. The diesel shop is behind it.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/DH/DH_RS11_5003_Carbondale_Pa_1976.jpg
Click Image to Resize

mike_nepa
Historian

« Reply #6 on: Jul 12th, 2010, 2:17pm »

Nice pictures, thank you for sharing them.

Mike

NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #7 on: Jul 12th, 2010, 9:13pm »

It's good to see these pics get out of the envelopes and see the light of day again. I think the RS11 is one of the most ungainly engines ever built, though I liked them anyway. I have seen them in PC black where they look even uglier. The D&H lightening stripe was a great scheme and even managed to make the RS11 look good.
Question: Why did the D&H buy high hood RS11's but then low hood RS36's?

DLWJohn
Railfan

« Reply #8 on: Jul 13th, 2010, 6:27pm »

Nice, seeing those old pics. I used to see the roundhouse as a kid, but never got to go inside of it. I've got one small peice of it however, a porcelain insulator that was mounted on the outside.

Geoff
Railfan

« Reply #9 on: Jul 19th, 2010, 5:56pm »

NEFAN. I personally think the RS11 was the second best looking ALCO, after the C420

To answer your question, RS11's 5000 thru 5005 were originally built for the NY Central but the central refused to accept them when ALCO tried to deliver them. Had something to do with a NYC officer giving ALCO a verbal order that they reneged on. They sat for a while and ALCO sold them to the D & H, no doubt at a discount.  

D & H liked them so much they ordered six more RS11's but had them built as low nose units. A subsequent order for twelve units became the RS36 units. Together they were known as the five thousands and were the favorites of the ALCO fleet.

Unit 5004 had it's nose lowered but the others remained hi nose until scrapped. They lasted into the Guilford era and a few made it to the Susky directed operation.  The D & H got it's moneys' worth out of them for sure!

« Last Edit: Jul 19th, 2010, 5:57pm by Geoff » Logged
Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #10 on: Jul 19th, 2010, 8:40pm »

on Jul 19th, 2010, 5:56pm, Geoff wrote:       (Click here for original message)
NEFAN. I personally think the RS11 was the second best looking ALCO, after the C420

To answer your question, RS11's 5000 thru 5005 were originally built for the NY Central but the central refused to accept them when ALCO tried to deliver them. Had something to do with a NYC officer giving ALCO a verbal order that they reneged on. They sat for a while and ALCO sold them to the D & H, no doubt at a discount.  

D & H liked them so much they ordered six more RS11's but had them built as low nose units. A subsequent order for twelve units became the RS36 units. Together they were known as the five thousands and were the favorites of the ALCO fleet.

Unit 5004 had it's nose lowered but the others remained hi nose until scrapped. They lasted into the Guilford era and a few made it to the Susky directed operation.  The D & H got it's moneys' worth out of them for sure!

FWIW, one of the low nose RS11s is active on the Buffalo Southern... alive and well nearly 50 years after being built. Three of the RS36s are still operating, too.    

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #11 on: Jul 19th, 2010, 9:02pm »

on Jul 19th, 2010, 5:56pm, Geoff wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Second best looking after the C420? To each his own.

Thanks for answering my question. I wonder how many other RR's got a good deal on a model that influenced future purchases?

Geoff
Railfan

« Reply #12 on: Jul 20th, 2010, 1:08pm »

Another Lo nose 11 was recently cut up down south. Too bad.  

BTW the first six RS11's on the D & H were the first units in the LS scheme. ALCO apparently designed the paint job as an enticement to the D & H to buy the orphaned units.

NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

DH_Carbondale_Pa_1976_971x651.jpg - 69453 Bytes
« Reply #13 on: Aug 13th, 2010, 10:16pm »

on Jul 10th, 2010, 2:26pm, NEFAN wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Yes, I remember the rail welding train.  Since big power rarely stopped in the yard, (GP38,39, Uboats) I would check to see when the loads were ready to be picked up, so I could get a pic of something else beside the usual RS11 or RS36 powered locals.  
Quick Roundhouse story: The D&H crews always repeated the story of the VP who spent money on an engine washer right before the roundhouse was shut down. I have never been able to verify this.  

I found a pic of those blue gons being switched by one of my favorite D&H engine types in Carbondale yd. The diesel shop is behind it.

Found another pic that has the Blue gons for the welding train in the yd. You can also see the Coal Brook Power plant on the right and the Dundaff St Viaduct in the left background. (1976)

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (69453 bytes, 971x651 pixels)

Click Here to View Image DH_Carbondale_Pa_1976_971x651.jpg - 69453 Bytes

NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

Carbondale_Pa_station_article_70_s_753x411.jpg - 53222 Bytes
« Reply #14 on: Sep 4th, 2010, 6:54pm »

Here is a newspaper photo of the Carbondale Pa station. It was gone before I arrived in the mid 70's. I believe it burned down in the early 70's.  

Anyone have any photos or know of any from the 50's or 60's?

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/DH/Carbondale_Pa_station_article_70_s_753x411.jpg
Click Image to Resize

NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

DH_NE87_Carbondale_PA_82377_4.jpg - 37166 Bytes
« Reply #15 on: Oct 28th, 2010, 8:39pm »

From "NYO&W in Carbondale PA 1970's" in NYO&W forum

"Interesting, you can see the remains of the spur track that came off the line and ran behind the abutment on the right. (In your picture, the bridge is still intact) Here is a picture of that track taken in 2005. The tracks are not that badly overgrown considering they were out of use by the time you took that picture."  

Mike_nepa:
The track in your picture is not the siding that went to the right of the abutment. It is what I always called the "run away" track. That track switch was dispatcher controlled and went up the hill at a steep grade with some crazy angles. I always figured that an out of control D&H train coming down the hill could be switched onto it before it hit the town. (anyone know for sure?)

Here is a picture taken off of the Dundaff St viaduct. If you look behind the SB NE87, you can see the spur heading up to the dead end bumper which still exists today. Quite a forest has grown in there since the 70's. Thanks for posting the info. I had forgotten about that track.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/DH/DH_NE87_Carbondale_PA_82377_4.jpg
Click Image to Resize

NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

NYOW_Carbondale_Pa_trstle_over_DH_mainline_877_-2.jpg - 60163 Bytes
« Reply #16 on: Oct 28th, 2010, 8:59pm »

Here is the photo that Mike is referring to: DF Cabin  

The "run away" track is up on the hill to the right.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/DH/NYOW_Carbondale_Pa_trstle_over_DH_mainline_877_-2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

mike_nepa
Historian

« Reply #17 on: Oct 29th, 2010, 6:31pm »

It had looked in that picture the abutment of the O&W which is now covered in heavy growth now. The remains of the track to the right of the B&W picture looked to me like that spur line.  

The spur track is still intact, bumper and all, but the heavy growth prevented seeing how close to the remaining track it still lays.

Mike

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #18 on: Oct 29th, 2010, 10:09pm »

on Jul 20th, 2010, 1:08pm, Geoff wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Another Lo nose 11 was recently cut up down south. Too bad.

Oh, that sucks!  

I'm thinking that #5010 might be the only D&H RS11 left...  

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #19 on: Oct 30th, 2010, 12:52pm »

on Oct 29th, 2010, 6:31pm, mike_nepa wrote:       (Click here for original message)
It had looked in that picture the abutment of the O&W which is now covered in heavy growth now. The remains of the track to the right of the B&W picture looked to me like that spur line.  

The spur track is still intact, bumper and all, but the heavy growth prevented seeing how close to the remaining track it still lays.

Mike

No doubt Mike. Even though I have a general idea of the track layout, I was still scratching my head a few times when I was there.  The reason why the D&H put that track there is still a mystery to me. It never connected with the O&W, and it is at a much lower level than the industrial building. That Company was a RV mfg in the 1970"s.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »