Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 24th, 2017, 6:16am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Upgrades coming from Scranton to Carbondale
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Delaware & Hudson
(Moderators: Matthew_L, x600, NKP759fan)
   Upgrades coming from Scranton to Carbondale
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Upgrades coming from Scranton to Carbondale  (Read 3556 times)
Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Upgrades coming from Scranton to Carbondale

« Reply #60 on: Jul 9th, 2010, 10:22pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on Jul 9th, 2010, 11:28am, x600 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I certainly don't want to discourage any picture posting. I love looking at the roundhouse shots. Great stuff, cool pictures.
 I think what FFW is referring to is that the topic was upgrade news of the line.
If anyone is looking for photos like these, they won't locate them is this thread, So.....
How about we start a new thread on the Carbondale round house.  
One of the problems with drifting off topic is that a lot of good information can get buried in the wrong place.
I must admit I was enjoying the pictures without realizing we had drifted off the original topic
Thanks for the pictures, how about we move them ?
Thoughts?
Comments?
Thanks
Greg O
Mod
Formerly from along the Penn Division  

We could move them... or just ask the poster(s) in question to also post their pics in the new thread. I'm leaning towards the latter but I'll let you make the call, since you intervened before I did.  

Matthew L  

« Last Edit: Jul 9th, 2010, 10:23pm by Matthew_L » Logged

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

moderator- D&H, Erie Lackawanna/Erie and LA&L/B&H/WNYP

P.S. All aboard for the last train to Hammondsport!
montclaire
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #61 on: Jul 10th, 2010, 11:09am »

I'm not reposting everything, if you want them moved then go ahead.

x600
Historian

« Reply #62 on: Jul 11th, 2010, 1:24am »

Matthew.
It's all good.
Back under my rock
Greg O.

Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #63 on: Jul 11th, 2010, 9:40am »

Hey Matthew,

Thank you for suggesting that soloution. In light of current postings, I see that 99% of us understand what's really going on here. I agree, all the work that Greg would have to do, is not really worth it (unless it continues) just because some people want to stop their feet.  

I do want to say bravo to NEFAN for posting some great stuff (on this forum and others) of classic views of the Carbondale area, and particularly for understanding the "situation" without throwing a fit as well.

I also promise that this is my final comment on this. Anything further issues/comments will be conducted OFF list.

RAH

One down, one to go.......
mike_nepa
Historian

« Reply #64 on: Jul 12th, 2010, 2:16pm »

I didn't save the article but in the local paper they were showing Linde in the process of adding side tracks to the yard. I didn't get a chance to get there to take any pictures and now with my knee surgery, it won't happen for awhile.  

It will be interesting to see the final result.  

There was also talks of leasing more land to process the waste water from the drilling process.  

Mike

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #65 on: Jul 12th, 2010, 8:48pm »

on Jul 11th, 2010, 1:24am, x600 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Matthew.
It's all good.
Back under my rock
Greg O.

Agreed- it's all good.  

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

moderator- D&H, Erie Lackawanna/Erie and LA&L/B&H/WNYP

P.S. All aboard for the last train to Hammondsport!
NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

Transload_Carbondale_Pa_816x612.jpg - 56543 Bytes
« Reply #66 on: Oct 24th, 2010, 7:14pm »

on Jul 12th, 2010, 2:16pm, mike_nepa wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I didn't save the article but in the local paper they were showing Linde in the process of adding side tracks to the yard. I didn't get a chance to get there to take any pictures and now with my knee surgery, it won't happen for awhile.  

It will be interesting to see the final result.  

There was also talks of leasing more land to process the waste water from the drilling process.  

Mike

Looks like the Linde Transload is in business. The track through Carbondale has had new ties installed to the yard. There is also another area just south of the transload that has been leveled and staked. The transload has had lumber and tank cars that I have seen so far.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/DH/Transload_Carbondale_Pa_816x612.jpg
Click Image to Resize

NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

Transload_Carbondale_Pa_2_816x612.jpg - 73143 Bytes
« Reply #67 on: Oct 24th, 2010, 7:17pm »

Wow, trains through Carbondale once again. Here is a different angle.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/DH/Transload_Carbondale_Pa_2_816x612.jpg
Click Image to Resize

cavity
Historian

« Reply #68 on: Nov 2nd, 2010, 7:27pm »

It was a very busy day in Carbondale as 3 trains came through town.  I went up to the yard to investigate and there are a hundreds of wood timbers being delivered on lumber cars.  Not sure what they are for, as they are used, and the same width and thickness of railroad ties but about 3 times longer.   They are currently grading on the other side of the current yard, so more tracks may be going in as well.  Neat to watch the rebirth of the line.  Cant wait till the sand starts being delivered.  If anyone has time, it would be great to take befores and afters, this will be the opposite of what we normally see!

Todd

mike_nepa
Historian

« Reply #69 on: Nov 2nd, 2010, 8:07pm »

The only "before" pictures I have were take in 2005. They are here on my site.  

http://nepaview.piczo.com/?g=15179037

I haven't had a chance to get up there to see the new stuff but I imagine with the activity, snooping around with a camera might not go over too big.  

Mike

on Nov 2nd, 2010, 7:27pm, cavity wrote:       (Click here for original message)
It was a very busy day in Carbondale as 3 trains came through town.  I went up to the yard to investigate and there are a hundreds of wood timbers being delivered on lumber cars.  Not sure what they are for, as they are used, and the same width and thickness of railroad ties but about 3 times longer.   They are currently grading on the other side of the current yard, so more tracks may be going in as well.  Neat to watch the rebirth of the line.  Cant wait till the sand starts being delivered.  If anyone has time, it would be great to take befores and afters, this will be the opposite of what we normally see!

Todd

cavity
Historian

« Reply #70 on: Nov 2nd, 2010, 8:42pm »

Mike, there is public access via the road with ample photo ops.  Cant see all of the layout, but Linde has an office there and may allow you to take some pics if you ask.  Upwards of 20 cars worth of timbers delivered today with empties being pulled on the return.

Todd

NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #71 on: Nov 2nd, 2010, 9:22pm »

I took my photos from the road. A few employees looked my way, but no one asked me why I was taking photos. For sure I would ask before walking on the property.

mike_nepa
Historian

« Reply #72 on: Nov 4th, 2010, 6:31pm »

Activity on the line has been picking up. I hear the train rolling by my house now pretty much every day now.  

Mike

cavity
Historian

« Reply #73 on: Feb 6th, 2011, 12:07pm »

There was an article in the Scranton Times yesterday talking about the line to Carbondale.  In Spring, crews will install over a mile of new rail, 3000 crossties, and completely surface the line. It would be a great time to get pics as soon as the snow melts. While I am thrilled that the line is booming, it is fun watching trains creep by on ancient rail and cinder ballast.  Takes you back in time.

Todd

NKP759fan
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #74 on: Feb 12th, 2011, 10:13am »

It is very humbling to see a rail line put to good use again, as it was years ago. Good to see were not seeing another "Rails to Trails" program being initiated. I think in the coming years, with the instability of oil prices, rail service will once again become a major industry in the area, but only with the support of Government funds which have seem to be lacking. Once a fuel crunch hits, the Government will be sorry they didnt invest in rail service years prior. It seems that our government is Reactive, not Proactice.

Nickel Plate Road "Berkshire" #759
Built: August 1944
Builder: Lima Locomotives Works
Driver diameter: 69 inches
Boiler Pressure: 245
Coal: 22 tons
Water: 22,000 gallons
Retired: 1958
Used on the famous High Iron Excursions
http://www.cr.nps.gov/history/online_books/steamtown/shs2o.htm
cavity
Historian

« Reply #75 on: Mar 5th, 2011, 10:01am »

The Scranton Times posted that Linde has come to an agreement for more land in the Carbondale yards area with the option for another lot in the future.  Linde will expand its existing operations on the newly purchased land.  I wouldnt be surprised to see daily service to Carbondale in the near future as traffic to this site is exploding.  The yard lead is too short for some of the trains so they have been leaving cars in the siding at the salt distributor and then returning to get them.  Makes for multiple moves each time they come up to Carbondale.

Todd

Geoff
Railfan

« Reply #76 on: Mar 6th, 2011, 4:44pm »

Great news. Now when the weather breaks and DL takes the RS3's out of winter storage the old Yard will become a great place to chase trains.  

Where else can you see three true first generation diesels doing what they were designed to do! In D & H colors yet!

mike_nepa
Historian
  100_7323_Small.jpg - 59413 Bytes
« Reply #77 on: Mar 26th, 2011, 6:27pm »

We were out on Thursday exploring but the snow cover was too much and we aborted. On the way back, I drove route 171 to Carbondale and where there was a bridge near the O&W Simpson trailhead it has been removed. This used to allow a way to access the D&H side at the old building which I think was used to construct coal cars for the D&H.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/DH/100_7323_Small.jpg
Click Image to Resize

mike_nepa
Historian
  100_7325_Small.jpg - 51209 Bytes
« Reply #78 on: Mar 26th, 2011, 6:29pm »

Not having access to the other side I tried to get a decent shot of the building from this side. The sunlight was horrible, but it appears that something maybe going on with this building? Usually the growth even at this time would be far more then what is seen here. Maybe they are clearing this area for something? I did see construction trailers on the other side of the now removed bridge.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/DH/100_7325_Small.jpg
Click Image to Resize

NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #79 on: Mar 26th, 2011, 9:19pm »

That's the old steel company building. It is a shame they removed the bridge. Hopefully it means some more development and additional carloads for the DL.  
I took some pics of the bridge and area back in the fall. They are posted in the NYO&W forum under Carbondale Simpson Pa yard.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »