Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 22nd, 2017, 11:04pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Upgrades coming from Scranton to Carbondale
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Delaware & Hudson
(Moderators: Matthew_L, x600, NKP759fan)
   Upgrades coming from Scranton to Carbondale
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Upgrades coming from Scranton to Carbondale  (Read 3549 times)
Geoff
Railfan
Re: Upgrades coming from Scranton to Carbondale

« Reply #40 on: Jun 27th, 2010, 12:50pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Cavity, I went through the Carbondale yards last week and you are correct about the bridge. It is still here but hard to see in the overgrowth. Will have to go back in the fall.  

I did notice the new transloading facility in the old yards and at least two new spurs being laid. One spur was in and the other had yet to get rails. Money is being invested in the area so traffic might increase!!!

Will be great to see 3 RS3's or the EL painted C425's pulling freights on the line.

cavity
Historian

« Reply #41 on: Jun 27th, 2010, 7:16pm »

Hey Geoff,

Yeah, its alot easier to see when the leaves are down.  Looks like the transload has some potential, I would imagine at least a few trips per week, hopefully not at night.

Todd

montclaire
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #42 on: Jun 29th, 2010, 12:12pm »

on May 22nd, 2010, 8:37pm, mike_nepa wrote:       (Click here for original message)
If I remember right, it stood until the mid 1990's before being torn down. There used to be a website called "Forgotten Scranton" that had pictures of the roundhouse from the mid 1990's. The site is gone now, I had saved the pictures from the site and the document, but not the HTML code.  

Mike

Would you mind posting the photos?   Wasn't there even still an engine in the roundhouse?  I want to say it was a small switcher, maybe a saddle tank.  

montclaire
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #43 on: Jun 29th, 2010, 12:30pm »

I was able to find some info under another link, http://www.scrantontrains.com/misc.html

Here's the engine that I recalled, but the link concerning it's restoration is down.  Anyone know what became of this little guy?

Another coal company tank engine called northeast Pennsylvania home for a number of years.  This standard guage machine was employeed by the Lehigh Valley Coal Co.  It was stored for a number of years in the remains of the massive D&H roundhouse in Carbondale PA.   The intent here was a tourist operation that never came to pass.  Legend has it that the locomotive was actually steamed into the building in the late 1960's. Another legend has it that during this steam-up, the brakes failed and the locomotive ran through the back wall of the building, to be retrieved by tractors later.   Carbondale was the southern terminus for the Delaware & Hudson's  Challenger locomotives and accordingly had a 135 foot turntable and quite a few bays that were lengthened to 140 feet to accommodate these beasts.  The roundhouse was torn down in the late '90's to make way for an industrial park.  The tank engine was rescued by a midwest group and a restoration to steam is underway.  Visit the website: www.geocities.com/Yosemite/8738 for more info from the group restoring this engine.

« Last Edit: Jun 29th, 2010, 12:31pm by montclaire » Logged
montclaire
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #44 on: Jun 29th, 2010, 12:41pm »

Well this is pretty neat, I have been chasing links and it would appear that the same people who own Flagg Coal Co 75 also bought this engine, #126.  You can see more photos and info on their website, http://gramlinglocomotiveworks.com/

I was unable to see #75 under steam when it was in Scranton, although I did get to see it stationary, but it's nice to know that 126 will get similar treatment.  75 appeared to be very well cared for.  Since both are local engines, I hope that the Gramlings will consider either selling or donating one/both to Steamtown or another local venture if they ever decide it's time to quit.

montclaire
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #45 on: Jun 29th, 2010, 12:50pm »

Some views of the roundhouse in the background on these pics off the 75 site

montclaire
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #46 on: Jun 29th, 2010, 2:21pm »

Builder's photo.  What a great looking little engine.  

Reminds me a lot of #43 at steamtown

Photo Copyright © David Graham - www.railfan.ca

« Last Edit: Jun 29th, 2010, 2:26pm by montclaire » Logged
NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #47 on: Jul 2nd, 2010, 6:40pm »

HI all, I'm new to the forum. I spent quite a bit of time in Carbondale as a teenager in the mid to late 70's. I spent alot of time climbing around that engine and visiting the roundhouse and yard. That is a great photo of the tank engine. The D&H crews and the guys working in the diesel shop were always very friendly toward me and always let me know when the next train was due. I was able to ride the local freight caboose and engine on a number of occasions. My best rememberance is standing with the conductor on the side of an RS36 while we go aroung the Y track to pick up a boxcar from behind the diesel shop. The rails made an incredible squealing noise and the crew said it was because they were "dry".

I used to walk down to the yard on the access road that went past the old Gravity shops, with the O&W up high on the embankment on the right be hind the cemetery. I would then walk across the river on the bridge that is mentioned in a few of the other posts. This road and bridge were also used by D&H maintenace crews which were housed in the diesel shop.

The viaduct over the south end of the yard was one of my favorite picture locations, but you had to be careful not to get runover by the traffic.

Carbondale was (and is) a great place to look for history. With the Gravity shops, the D&H yd, O&W freight house and viaduct, as well as the breaker building, it was a good place for a young railfan to be in the 70's.

NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

Carbondale_Pa_DH_roundhouse_1976_2.jpg - 63630 Bytes
« Reply #48 on: Jul 7th, 2010, 10:36pm »

I was going through some of my old pics and found some roundhouse views from about 1976. Let's see if I can post them.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/DH/Carbondale_Pa_DH_roundhouse_1976_2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

LV_Coal_Co_126.jpg - 56116 Bytes
« Reply #49 on: Jul 7th, 2010, 10:40pm »

Here is the tank engine as I found it.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/DH/LV_Coal_Co_126.jpg
Click Image to Resize

montclaire
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #50 on: Jul 8th, 2010, 10:41am »

What's in the last stall on the far right?  An old GM bus?

Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #51 on: Jul 8th, 2010, 12:28pm »

Can we get back on topic, please?

One down, one to go.......
montclaire
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #52 on: Jul 8th, 2010, 1:06pm »

What would you rather talk about?  We're discussing a train in a roundhouse that used to stand in this yard that is being repurposed.  Keep in mind this thread is under "fallen flags."  Should we be discussing fracking water for gas drilling instead?

montclaire
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #53 on: Jul 8th, 2010, 1:10pm »

NEFAN, thanks for posting the photos

x600
Historian

« Reply #54 on: Jul 9th, 2010, 11:28am »

I certainly don't want to discourage any picture posting. I love looking at the roundhouse shots. Great stuff, cool pictures.
 I think what FFW is referring to is that the topic was upgrade news of the line.
If anyone is looking for photos like these, they won't locate them is this thread, So.....
How about we start a new thread on the Carbondale round house.  
One of the problems with drifting off topic is that a lot of good information can get buried in the wrong place.
I must admit I was enjoying the pictures without realizing we had drifted off the original topic
Thanks for the pictures, how about we move them ?
Thoughts?
Comments?
Thanks
Greg O
Mod
Formerly from along the Penn Division  

montclaire
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #55 on: Jul 9th, 2010, 11:45am »

If that's the case you might as well remove the original post which centers on current happenings on a plot of land that used to belong to the D&H.  Technically it shouldn't fall under fallen flags, but the discussion that has come out of the original post does.  I say leave it as is, the most nit-picky boards are often the least visited.  Maybe a different thread title.  A discussion on a discussion board, imagine that.  

« Last Edit: Jul 9th, 2010, 11:48am by montclaire » Logged
NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #56 on: Jul 9th, 2010, 12:57pm »

No doubt that discussions can move in different areas and move off the original topic. I have other information / questions and photos regarding the D&H around Carbondale (Sounds like a book title)   and would like to keep the discussion going. How about a thread called "D&H in Carbondale" so the discussion could be broad enough to include the roundhouse, Yard,  etc?
If the "off topic" discussion and photos could be moved here, that would be fine.

Just my 2 cents.

robertjohndavis
Railfan
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #57 on: Jul 9th, 2010, 4:33pm »

on Jul 9th, 2010, 11:45am, montclaire wrote:       (Click here for original message)
If that's the case you might as well remove the original post which centers on current happenings on a plot of land that used to belong to the D&H.  Technically it shouldn't fall under fallen flags, but the discussion that has come out of the original post does.  I say leave it as is, the most nit-picky boards are often the least visited.  Maybe a different thread title.  A discussion on a discussion board, imagine that.  

For the reasons stated, opening a second thread would work well. I like that a) Greg asked as b) he's thinking about it like a librarian not a message board dictator.

But I also appreciate your point. I stopped using Railroad.net after post editing, thread locking and other severe mod activities made it unpleasant.

Ahead of the Torch
http://www.robertjohndavis.com/

Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #58 on: Jul 9th, 2010, 6:43pm »

Greg, Rob, thanks for understanding what I was getting at, and for not stopping their feet.

All I ask is that if you are gonna go off on a tangent that has some interesting substance that goes in a different direction from the original thread, just start an new thread. It makes for looking up info later much easier for everybody. It's quick, painless and easy to do. Take time to think BEFORE you post is all I'm saying.

Now lets get back to some interesting D&H talk that I for one was enjoying, without any more bellyaching or any RR.net-style moderation/thread locking.

RAH

One down, one to go.......
NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #59 on: Jul 9th, 2010, 9:01pm »

Sounds good. See "D&H" in Carbondale Pa"

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »