Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 22nd, 2017, 11:14pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Upgrades coming from Scranton to Carbondale
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Delaware & Hudson
(Moderators: Matthew_L, x600, NKP759fan)
   Upgrades coming from Scranton to Carbondale
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Upgrades coming from Scranton to Carbondale  (Read 3551 times)
The_Swede
Chaser
Re: Upgrades coming from Scranton to Carbondale

« Reply #20 on: May 17th, 2010, 1:04pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Not being that familiar with Carbondale as its been about 10 years since I've been there...are the photos taken South of town before getting to the old D&H yard & roundhouse area?  Or is that on a line that branched off and went on the east side of downtown?  Trying to picture it.....     John S.

TJ_1867
Chaser

« Reply #21 on: May 17th, 2010, 3:10pm »

Concerning the crossing, When that was the main line there was no crossing at grade the road went over the tracks via the Dundaff Street Viaduct. At this location was the interlocking DF cabin with a northbound crossover movement from track 1 to track 2 and then into the yard. I don't know when the bridge was taken down and from the picture quite a few buildings are gone also.

cavity
Historian

« Reply #22 on: May 17th, 2010, 6:40pm »

Tj, thanks for that info, I wondered myself how a busy yard like that could have a grade crossing there.  Makes sense that there would a viaduct.  There used to be alot more tracks there too.  Mike has posted (somewhere in this thread) track charts for this area during the D&H years.

John S.  This is on the north side of the river just east of downtown Carbondale.  There is an abandoned route on the other side of the yard by the scrap dealer that crosses over the river on a rusty old bridge.

Todd

mike_nepa
Historian

« Reply #23 on: May 18th, 2010, 4:54pm »

That thread is here:  (it was actually the Erie years)

http://forums.railfan.net/forums.cgi?board=DH;action=display;num=1262038106

I did spot near Dundaff St another set of severed tracks that go behind one of the abutments of the NY O&W. This isn't what your talking about? I didn't ever see an abandoned bridge.  

Mike

on May 17th, 2010, 6:40pm, cavity wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Tj, thanks for that info, I wondered myself how a busy yard like that could have a grade crossing there.  Makes sense that there would a viaduct.  There used to be alot more tracks there too.  Mike has posted (somewhere in this thread) track charts for this area during the D&H years.

John S.  This is on the north side of the river just east of downtown Carbondale.  There is an abandoned route on the other side of the yard by the scrap dealer that crosses over the river on a rusty old bridge.

Todd

cavity
Historian

« Reply #24 on: May 18th, 2010, 8:04pm »

Mike, if you make a right into the industrial park and follow it, on the right side there is a scrap dealer.  Behind the scrap dealer there is a bridge and tracks that used to parallel the river.  Check Google maps, they show it pretty clearly if I remember correctly.

Todd

rwk
Historian

« Reply #25 on: May 18th, 2010, 10:24pm »

Doesn't Steamtown go up that way anymore? There are no Carbondale excursions on the list anymore. When was the last time they ran an excursion up there? When was the last time steam ran there? Will they ever go back to Carbondale? It would be a nice alternative to the Pocono line, alternate between Moscow and Carbondale, and use 3254 on Carbondale line if possible.

mike_nepa
Historian

« Reply #26 on: May 19th, 2010, 5:54pm »

SO your saying from Dundaff St make a right into the area where I posted pictures from 2005, then follow it to see the bridge? I am assuming your not talking about the D&H tracks then? Just want to make sure I have the right orientation, been awhile since I have been up that way.

Mike

on May 18th, 2010, 8:04pm, cavity wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Mike, if you make a right into the industrial park and follow it, on the right side there is a scrap dealer.  Behind the scrap dealer there is a bridge and tracks that used to parallel the river.  Check Google maps, they show it pretty clearly if I remember correctly.

Todd

mike_nepa
Historian

« Reply #27 on: May 19th, 2010, 5:58pm »

They do run the Santa train each year with NPR 514. and last year a few excursions went up the line but they were not official Steamtown excursions. They won't run a steamer up the line because there are many bridges that are older and probably wouldn't handle the weight of a steam engine anymore. I did an excursion (Official Steamtown) back in 2004.  

Santa train Video....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr_LkSnsuFo

I saw pictures from 2001 with CP 2317 in Jessup so I would guess that is the last time a steamer ran up the line. This line runs right by my house.

Mike

on May 18th, 2010, 10:24pm, rwk wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Doesn't Steamtown go up that way anymore? There are no Carbondale excursions on the list anymore. When was the last time they ran an excursion up there? When was the last time steam ran there? Will they ever go back to Carbondale? It would be a nice alternative to the Pocono line, alternate between Moscow and Carbondale, and use 3254 on Carbondale line if possible.

cavity
Historian

« Reply #28 on: May 19th, 2010, 7:57pm »

Mike, according to my Google maps it is the O&W line the ran on the south side of the river, so you are correct in that is not the Erie/D&H. I am still getting familiar with all of the lines around here.  I moved here 3 years ago and I am slowly putting it all together.  It appears the O&W had a spur that crossed the river and ran into the Carbondale yard at some point.  The bridge is still there.

Todd

mike_nepa
Historian
  Carbondale.jpg - 112812 Bytes
« Reply #29 on: May 20th, 2010, 4:38pm »

Think I got it, I marked it with a circle. The remains of the roundhouse are still shown on the map. It would be the O&W that this bridge belonged to.  

Mike

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/DH/Carbondale.jpg
Click Image to Resize

mike_nepa
Historian
  Carbondale_1960-2.jpg - 44192 Bytes
« Reply #30 on: May 20th, 2010, 4:42pm »

This Pennpiliot image from 1960 still shows the Dundaff St crossing as a bridge over the D&H tracks. Interesting!

Mike

on May 17th, 2010, 3:10pm, TJ_1867 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Concerning the crossing, When that was the main line there was no crossing at grade the road went over the tracks via the Dundaff Street Viaduct. At this location was the interlocking DF cabin with a northbound crossover movement from track 1 to track 2 and then into the yard. I don't know when the bridge was taken down and from the picture quite a few buildings are gone also.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/DH/Carbondale_1960-2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #31 on: May 20th, 2010, 8:46pm »

on May 20th, 2010, 4:42pm, mike_nepa wrote:       (Click here for original message)
This Pennpiliot image from 1960 still shows the Dundaff St crossing as a bridge over the D&H tracks. Interesting!

Mike

I also find it interesting that the roundhouse still stood in 1960.  

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

moderator- D&H, Erie Lackawanna/Erie and LA&L/B&H/WNYP

P.S. All aboard for the last train to Hammondsport!
mike_nepa
Historian

« Reply #32 on: May 22nd, 2010, 8:37pm »

If I remember right, it stood until the mid 1990's before being torn down. There used to be a website called "Forgotten Scranton" that had pictures of the roundhouse from the mid 1990's. The site is gone now, I had saved the pictures from the site and the document, but not the HTML code.  

Mike

on May 20th, 2010, 8:46pm, Matthew_Langworthy wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I also find it interesting that the roundhouse still stood in 1960.  

cavity
Historian

« Reply #33 on: Jun 1st, 2010, 6:51pm »

I worked in Carbondale today and so I ran out during lunch to check the progress of construction.  The bulk rail facility work is in full swing, they have equipment all over the place, including bulk storage tanks.  MOW crews have replaced several hundred ties over the 2 miles or so from Carbondale to the facility, alot of work still remains to bring it up to decent shape.  At 4pm, 2 units came east through town, (first train I have seen in town in 3 years), although they do come through, Im not there much.  At 5pm, the west bound train returned with 25-30 empty gondolas.  Traffic was backed up and people seemed to be surprised by such a long train, or just seeing a train in general.  It will be interesting to see how much traffic this generates, its too bad the original route to NY isnt there anymore, you never know these days as to what will be used again.
Todd

cavity
Historian

« Reply #34 on: Jun 3rd, 2010, 6:54pm »

I read in the Times that Linde Corp bought 2 additional acres to expand the bulk facility in Carbondale.  They will be mixing sand, water,and chemical and storing it for the gas industry.  The article also mentioned that Linde wanted to buy one of the large buildings in the park for a distribution center.  They also are considering hauling waste water from the drilling sites.  It sounds like this could be a substantial project that could generate a bunch of traffic.  Should make for some good railfanning in the future.

Todd

Geoff
Railfan

« Reply #35 on: Jun 13th, 2010, 1:02pm »

The bridge circled in post #29 belonged to the D & H. It was used to reach customers on the other side of the river. It was still there as late as 2004 but has been removed when the area was cleaned up.  

The diesel house still stands, and is visible in the photo. It apparently was used by a scrap yard. The junk around the building has been cleared out.  

The O & W was elevated at this point and ran over the branch.

TJ_1867
Chaser
  jpg1022_1275x1755-2_637x877.jpg - 131785 Bytes
« Reply #36 on: Jun 13th, 2010, 5:05pm »

I have seen this bridge when we where switching in the yard or turning a car on the wye, but I never thought to ask the rest of the crew (which all of them worked in Carbondale yard in the 40's) anything about where it went. This is one of three shots of where the tracks went

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/DH/jpg1022_1275x1755-2_637x877.jpg
Click Image to Resize

TJ_1867
Chaser
  jpg1025_1228x892.jpg - 288488 Bytes
« Reply #37 on: Jun 13th, 2010, 5:29pm »

2nd shot shows the spur serviced the supply house

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (288488 bytes, 1228x892 pixels)

Click Here to View Image jpg1025_1228x892.jpg - 288488 Bytes

cavity
Historian

« Reply #38 on: Jun 13th, 2010, 7:25pm »

Geoff,  

Thanks for the correction on the bridge, I thought it was O&W but it appears that they ran above the bridge on the hillside.  I believe that the bridge is still there, unless Im seeing some other bridge in the vicinty.

Todd

TJ_1867
Chaser
  jpg1029_637x877.jpg - 121624 Bytes
« Reply #39 on: Jun 13th, 2010, 7:46pm »

3rd shot shows the track continuing on to service the blacksmith shop and the machine shop and then it continues to cross John St. and then it ends on the edge of the river. this info was taken from a track map with a date of May 1, 1945

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/DH/jpg1029_637x877.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »