Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 24th, 2017, 6:06am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Upgrades coming from Scranton to Carbondale
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Delaware & Hudson
(Moderators: Matthew_L, x600, NKP759fan)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Upgrades coming from Scranton to Carbondale  (Read 3553 times)
cavity
Historian

« on: Dec 15th, 2009, 7:04pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

The PA state rail grant fund released $390 thousand worth of funds to restore rail, ties and ballast on the line from Scranton to Carbondale.  This is in cooperation with Linde Corp to establish a bulk rail terminal in the old Carbondale yard.  Products to be shipped include sand and pipe for natural gas fracking, lumber, and other bulk materials.  Im not sure when the work will begin.

Todd

Geoff
Railfan
Re: Upgrades coming from Scranton to Carbondale

« Reply #1 on: Dec 20th, 2009, 1:53pm »

Woo Hoo!   Maybe the DL will use the three RS3's for the trains.  

Now if they would only require a caboose on the trains

mike_nepa
Historian
  071408_1351_Medium.jpg - 143617 Bytes
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21st, 2009, 4:58pm »

on Dec 20th, 2009, 1:53pm, Geoff wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Woo Hoo!   Maybe the DL will use the three RS3's for the trains.  

Now if they would only require a caboose on the trains

I have caught two RS-3 units coming up the Carbondale branch. This picture was taken in Olyphant (by my house) in 2008

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/DH/071408_1351_Medium.jpg
Click Image to Resize

mike_nepa
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Dec 21st, 2009, 5:00pm »

on Dec 15th, 2009, 7:04pm, cavity wrote:       (Click here for original message)
The PA state rail grant fund released $390 thousand worth of funds to restore rail, ties and ballast on the line from Scranton to Carbondale.  This is in cooperation with Linde Corp to establish a bulk rail terminal in the old Carbondale yard.  Products to be shipped include sand and pipe for natural gas fracking, lumber, and other bulk materials.  Im not sure when the work will begin.

Todd

Ill have to get up that way to take new pictures. It will be interesting to see the changes since I was last up that way when the tracks still laid dormant.

Mike

cavity
Historian

« Reply #4 on: Jan 23rd, 2010, 8:26am »

The salt warehouse in Carbondale had 3 boxcars on its siding on Thursday, first time I have seen rail traffic at the facility in a long time.

Todd

cavity
Historian

« Reply #5 on: May 6th, 2010, 1:09pm »

Men and equipment are currently working on the line from the Linde Corp distribution center west.  They have spike and tie removers on the line, and they are removing some track during prep at the new yard.  Mike, I thought it might make for some nice before and after photos. Will be nice seeing traffic moving through downtown Carbondale again.

Todd

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #6 on: May 6th, 2010, 7:58pm »

on May 6th, 2010, 1:09pm, cavity wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Men and equipment are currently working on the line from the Linde Corp distribution center west.  They have spike and tie removers on the line, and they are removing some track during prep at the new yard.  Mike, I thought it might make for some nice before and after photos. Will be nice seeing traffic moving through downtown Carbondale again.

Todd

Where do DL trains terminate in Carbondale now?  

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

moderator- D&H, Erie Lackawanna/Erie and LA&L/B&H/WNYP

P.S. All aboard for the last train to Hammondsport!
cavity
Historian

« Reply #7 on: May 7th, 2010, 10:02am »

I believe the last customer served is right before town, a salt distributor that seems to get cars mostly in prep for winter.  The new pipe yard and distribution center will be about 2 miles further east using some rail that hasnt seen traffic in many years.  I saw a high rail pass over a crossing and motorist were watching and wondering what was going on.  I work right beside the crossing in Carbondale and hope to catch some action.  I will try to post some photos in the near future.

Todd

DLWJohn
Railfan

« Reply #8 on: May 7th, 2010, 3:18pm »

The last time I was at these tracks was about 2 weeks ago in the Jermyn- Archbald-Peckville area, they had a lot of old ties replaced, the old ones were still laying on the side. I took a walk to see if I could find any date-nails I dont have yet, but they were all gone from the old ties they pulled...must be a collector working on the MOW crew!

TJ_1867
Chaser

« Reply #9 on: May 7th, 2010, 5:59pm »

Date nails behind Dickson City fire station south of the crossing at Eagle Lane.

F3_4_me
Historian

« Reply #10 on: May 7th, 2010, 10:59pm »

Two years ago, in the vicinity of the rotted out, fenced-in caboose in Mayfield (I believe it's Mayfield), I found a '43' date nail, still solidly in that 67 year old tie.  Should still be there!  

-Micah

When I joined the ARHS in '92, my occupation was listed as '3rd Grade'.
mike_nepa
Historian

« Reply #11 on: May 8th, 2010, 9:38am »

I would like to see those pictures when you can post them. Around my area, a lot of ties were replaced and the old ones still lay there for now. I didn't get a chance to look up that way this year since a injured my knee awhile back and walking and exploring just wasn't going to happen.  

The crossing your referring to is that main st or Dundaff St?

Mike

on May 7th, 2010, 10:02am, cavity wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I believe the last customer served is right before town, a salt distributor that seems to get cars mostly in prep for winter.  The new pipe yard and distribution center will be about 2 miles further east using some rail that hasnt seen traffic in many years.  I saw a high rail pass over a crossing and motorist were watching and wondering what was going on.  I work right beside the crossing in Carbondale and hope to catch some action.  I will try to post some photos in the near future.

Todd

mike_nepa
Historian
  PB050057_Small-2.jpg - 57240 Bytes
« Reply #12 on: May 8th, 2010, 9:41am »

Here are a few pictures I have taken back in 2005. Facing past Dundaff St crossing, these old cars sit on a side track.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/DH/PB050057_Small-2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

mike_nepa
Historian
  PB050058_Small.jpg - 56391 Bytes
« Reply #13 on: May 8th, 2010, 9:42am »

The dormant tracks are not in the best of shape and overgrown.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/DH/PB050058_Small.jpg
Click Image to Resize

mike_nepa
Historian
  PB050065_Small.jpg - 66746 Bytes
« Reply #14 on: May 8th, 2010, 9:42am »

A turnout that goes nowhere.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/DH/PB050065_Small.jpg
Click Image to Resize

mike_nepa
Historian
  PB050081_Small.jpg - 80326 Bytes
« Reply #15 on: May 8th, 2010, 9:43am »

Dundaff St is just ahead, the side track to the left is where the cars were sitting.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/DH/PB050081_Small.jpg
Click Image to Resize

cavity
Historian

« Reply #16 on: May 8th, 2010, 10:18am »

Mike, they are working on the track in the photos you posted.  There are actually 2 sidings, the one past Dundruff is actually empty, those cars in your photo are at the end of the line where the yard will be.  Believe it or not, those cars are still there!  

Todd

mike_nepa
Historian

« Reply #17 on: May 12th, 2010, 4:43pm »

I took those pictures five years ago. Ill have to get up that way and snap some new ones as a comparison.  

Mike

on May 8th, 2010, 10:18am, cavity wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Mike, they are working on the track in the photos you posted.  There are actually 2 sidings, the one past Dundruff is actually empty, those cars in your photo are at the end of the line where the yard will be.  Believe it or not, those cars are still there!  

Todd

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #18 on: May 12th, 2010, 7:43pm »

on May 8th, 2010, 9:43am, mike_nepa wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Dundaff St is just ahead, the side track to the left is where the cars were sitting.

Here's a question: was that crossing in the background (Dundaff St) protected by gates and flashing lights back when the D&H was using the Penn Division as its mainline between Scranton and upstate NY?  

« Last Edit: May 12th, 2010, 7:45pm by Matthew_L » Logged

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

moderator- D&H, Erie Lackawanna/Erie and LA&L/B&H/WNYP

P.S. All aboard for the last train to Hammondsport!
mike_nepa
Historian

« Reply #19 on: May 15th, 2010, 6:11pm »

Offhand I don't know but it would be a good assumption. When I get up that way Ill look for remains of the crossing gates if any.

Mike

on May 12th, 2010, 7:43pm, Matthew_Langworthy wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Here's a question: was that crossing in the background (Dundaff St) protected by gates and flashing lights back when the D&H was using the Penn Division as its mainline between Scranton and upstate NY?  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »