Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 24th, 2017, 6:11am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Penn Division Photo Tour
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Delaware & Hudson
(Moderators: Matthew_L, x600, NKP759fan)
   Penn Division Photo Tour
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  ...  16 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Penn Division Photo Tour  (Read 5189 times)
LV LOU
Historian
Re: Penn Division Photo Tour

« Reply #120 on: Apr 15th, 2009, 7:50pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on Apr 13th, 2009, 7:08pm, mike_nepa wrote:       (Click here for original message)
More turtles were seen in this area. I don't know what kind of turtle it is.

Red eared Slider..[No,really..LOL!!!] Nice pics Mike,keep 'em coming!!!

When it hits the fan,be the fan...
SouthBendModel34
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #121 on: Apr 15th, 2009, 8:41pm »

on Apr 11th, 2009, 8:59am, mike_nepa wrote:       (Click here for original message)
This pipe is next to it. Any ideas ??

That's the concrete base of a waterspout !!!
Note the picture of the one near Carbondale clearly shows the CIRCLE of bolts around the smaller hole, where the spout itself stood.
The larger hole was the location of the shutofff valve, which was below ground to avoid freezing. This hole had a steel cover.  

John R.  

mike_nepa
Historian

« Reply #122 on: Apr 16th, 2009, 6:29am »

on Apr 15th, 2009, 8:41pm, SouthBendModel34 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

That's the concrete base of a waterspout !!!
Note the picture of the one near Carbondale clearly shows the CIRCLE of bolts around the smaller hole, where the spout itself stood.
The larger hole was the location of the shutofff valve, which was below ground to avoid freezing. This hole had a steel cover.  

John R.  

So a waterspout would be different then a water tower? Perhaps it is also a similar thing I posted about the "standpipe outfall" where water to this day pours out of the pipe when they tried drilling a well.  

Since we are looking at the area again, I may go back to that one in Burnwood to get better pictures since the pipe is still present.

Mike

SouthBendModel34
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #123 on: Apr 17th, 2009, 12:25pm »

Mike,

A waterspout is a kind of a standpipe used to fill the tender when the water tower cannot be located adjacent to that track.  For example, in double-track territory, there might be one water tower which served the adjacent track with a spout on the tower and served the opposite track with a free-standing waterspout on a concrete base [/i]just like the one you photographed.[i]

You would also see waterspouts used where trains going in opposite directions have to take their water in different places during a station stop.

Waterspouts were commonly used in crowded yards and terminals where the tank was necessarily located some distance away.

To properly identify and record that presumptive water spout foundation you found, you should measure everything including the bolt circle around the smaller hole. Try to see what is inside. There may be leaves and trash that need to be cleared away to see where the buried pipe entered the foundation. It will be at least a 6" pipe, possibly larger.

Somewhere nearby you might find the water tank foundation. Sometimes this is an octagonal array of concrete foundation blocks.

You certainly have an interesting place to hike !!! John R.

mike_nepa
Historian
  P4160021_Small.jpg - 102153 Bytes
« Reply #124 on: Apr 17th, 2009, 4:04pm »

With this discussion about water spouts and such, I remember seeing one just North of Burnwood three years ago. I posted the pictures already, the pipe can be seen but not much else.

Yesterday, we went back to that spot to look at it again while the foliage is still down. First according to the timetable, this is the remains of "BN Cabin"

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/DH/P4160021_Small.jpg
Click Image to Resize

mike_nepa
Historian
  P4160066_Small.jpg - 84712 Bytes
« Reply #125 on: Apr 17th, 2009, 4:06pm »

Now north of Burnwood, this is the same pipe I showed a few pages back. You can now see in this picture footers mostly behind the pipe that indicate a water tower was here.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/DH/P4160066_Small.jpg
Click Image to Resize

mike_nepa
Historian
  P4160069_Small.jpg - 66023 Bytes
« Reply #126 on: Apr 17th, 2009, 4:07pm »

This is a look at the rear footers which are the largest ones. The growth here was pretty bad even though its still down. This was impossible to see the last time we were here.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/DH/P4160069_Small.jpg
Click Image to Resize

mike_nepa
Historian
  P4160075_Small.jpg - 94564 Bytes
« Reply #127 on: Apr 17th, 2009, 4:08pm »

To the left of the tower is another one of these valve houses. This one has two openings and unfortunately filled with garbage.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/DH/P4160075_Small.jpg
Click Image to Resize

mike_nepa
Historian
  P4160078_Small.jpg - 74198 Bytes
« Reply #128 on: Apr 17th, 2009, 4:25pm »

There are actually two of those valve houses here. This position I show the one on the right which is down a ways. I marked that location and the location of the pipe since its hard to see. Behind the pipe is the footers of the water tower. In the foreground you can plainly see the second valve house on the same side as the pipe and footers. I did not have a ruler with me but the pipe is easily 6 or 8 inches diameter, maybe even 10 inches.

Mike

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/DH/P4160078_Small.jpg
Click Image to Resize

SouthBendModel34
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #129 on: Apr 17th, 2009, 5:22pm »

Hey, what great photos !!!  You realize that the buried pipes are still there, going from the site of the water tank to the waterspouts.

About the size of the pipe - measure your handspan and memorize its size. Then you always have a "ruler" at the end of your arm !!!

Anyone taking "industrial archeology" or "railfan" photos should make themselves a scale board to put in the photo. You will see these in professional photos.  It's a board one meter (metric!) long, hinged in the middle. Half red, half white, also a stripe of 10 CM blocks down one side - you get the idea. 1/4 exterior plywood makes a light & strong one.  

I've seen at least two sizes of waterspouts.  I suppose it's mainline vs. branch line, or fast watering vs slower watering, or something.  This was why I asked about the size of the bolt circle on these bases.  And what size are the bolts? You do carry a small measuring tape & a notebook on these expeditions, right?

It would be fun to explore the area of a former tower with a metal detector but DON'T DO THIS.  It causes trouble - if you carry a metal detector, there is a presumption that you intend to remove artifacts, which is not legal on public land and requires permission on private land.  Better to look like you are going to "Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints" !

Thanks again for the interesting photos to puzzle over. John R.

mike_nepa
Historian

« Reply #130 on: Apr 18th, 2009, 5:41am »

I carry a camera, maps, and my GPS. Usually it isn't needed to measure anything. The old railroad bed is now owned by the rails-trails council of NEPA. They know what I am doing and part of their plans is to locate and identify any remaining artifacts. I plan to share my findings with them. One other aspect they want is to locate any culverts along the railbed. They still need to be maintained or washouts will occur. The railbed they own is about 35 miles long and on foot it is really impractical to spend a long time at each location. Its only a matter of a few weeks before the growth comes back in and hides everything. The difference now and three years ago when we walked the whole trail is huge. (three years ago we did it in the summer)  

Just look at the above posted pictures verses the ones I posted of the same area three years ago. None of this was visible, only the pipe was seen.

I wrote an article for their latest newsletter about the mile posts.  

Three years ago I did manage to collect enough useful data to begin building a map. I first started with the mile posts I had found and then using topo software, project where the other ones would be. Since that time I came across some timetables that indicated where some other artifacts could be. I also have the track schematics of the line from 1935. Its hand drawn but I was able to locate a few items from it including the remains of the 75 foot turntable.  I so far have found three more mile posts from this data that are toppled over. My projected data was within 25 feet of the actual location.  

Eventually as they refurbish the railbed as a recreational trail, they want to avoid damaging any remaining artifacts.  

Parts of the railbed are eroding away fast, I have not yet posted the northern sections but up north, Starucca Creek's path has changed over the years and part of the railbed is almost gone. What was once a double tracked mainline is now reduced in several sections to about 10 feet.  One area was completely gone but they did some emergency repair work.  

Overall there is few artifacts left. When the line was abandoned, anything of value was scrapped out.  

Mike

mike_nepa
Historian
  Thompson-Starrucca_131_Small.jpg - 92123 Bytes
« Reply #131 on: Apr 20th, 2009, 6:08pm »

I deleted about 15 posts because I just realized I already covered the area up to Buck Falls. So now getting back on track   We go back to 2006 and just past the Buck Falls Trestle remains

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/DH/Thompson-Starrucca_131_Small.jpg
Click Image to Resize

mike_nepa
Historian
  Thompson-Starrucca_141_Small.jpg - 98304 Bytes
« Reply #132 on: Apr 20th, 2009, 6:09pm »

Overturned relay box base I think

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/DH/Thompson-Starrucca_141_Small.jpg
Click Image to Resize

mike_nepa
Historian
  Thompson-Starrucca_148_Small.jpg - 70544 Bytes
« Reply #133 on: Apr 20th, 2009, 6:10pm »

Approaching the next road intersection, there is a small parking spot.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/DH/Thompson-Starrucca_148_Small.jpg
Click Image to Resize

mike_nepa
Historian
  P4100163_Small.jpg - 74177 Bytes
« Reply #134 on: Apr 20th, 2009, 6:13pm »

We covered this section two weeks ago. More signal bases were seen.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/DH/P4100163_Small.jpg
Click Image to Resize

mike_nepa
Historian
  P4100172_Small.jpg - 52014 Bytes
« Reply #135 on: Apr 20th, 2009, 6:14pm »

A better view of the Bucks Fall Trestle pads.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/DH/P4100172_Small.jpg
Click Image to Resize

mike_nepa
Historian
  P4100185_Small.jpg - 88395 Bytes
« Reply #136 on: Apr 20th, 2009, 6:16pm »

With the mile posts found back in 2006, I was able to draw on a map the locations of the ones we did not see on that walk. Sure enough that data helped. I found mile post A148-11 toppled over and unreadable. The next post southwards would have been on the edge of the trestle and was not found.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/DH/P4100185_Small.jpg
Click Image to Resize

mike_nepa
Historian
  P4100001_Small.jpg - 54617 Bytes
« Reply #137 on: Apr 20th, 2009, 6:23pm »

Ok now back to that road intersection with the small parking area. I am trying to keep this in  order but sometimes with re-visiting the railbed we did some parts in reverse.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/DH/P4100001_Small.jpg
Click Image to Resize

mike_nepa
Historian
  P4100005_Small.jpg - 86703 Bytes
« Reply #138 on: Apr 20th, 2009, 6:24pm »

Here is another motorhouse. This one is in good shape but was empty.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/DH/P4100005_Small.jpg
Click Image to Resize

mike_nepa
Historian
  P4100024_Small.jpg - 90289 Bytes
« Reply #139 on: Apr 20th, 2009, 6:25pm »

Just north of the house is the remains of a water tower.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/DH/P4100024_Small.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  ...  16 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »