Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 22nd, 2017, 11:07pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

D&H photos circa Sept 1947
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Delaware & Hudson
(Moderators: Matthew_L, x600, NKP759fan)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: D&H photos circa Sept 1947  (Read 616 times)
borntoolate

« on: Nov 5th, 2006, 4:00pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

OK, you guys have been asleep at the switch lately, so I will try to get things rolling again by posting some amateur snapshots I found. The first three are dated Sept 1947. The last is undated and may not be the same era. The passenger car shots are labeled Scranton and Carbondale. Enjoy.

Warren_Thompson
Historian
Re: D&H photos circa Sept 1947

« Reply #1 on: Nov 5th, 2006, 4:09pm »

Mercy! What a shock. A Class 1 railroad running open-platform coaches in 1947?  

NKP759fan
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: Nov 5th, 2006, 8:49pm »

Hey Borntoolate,
 Where did you find those pictures? They are to sum it up spectacular. I really love the first one with a steam locomotive. Is that train coming out of Carbondale yard because there sure are alot of tracks there. And I know exactly where the third shot was taken because of the church in the background.  It's Franklin Avenue and I didn't know there were so many tracks down there. I'll have to take a look down there one day and how much remains. Again, these shots are excellent.

Nickel Plate Road "Berkshire" #759
Built: August 1944
Builder: Lima Locomotives Works
Driver diameter: 69 inches
Boiler Pressure: 245
Coal: 22 tons
Water: 22,000 gallons
Retired: 1958
Used on the famous High Iron Excursions
http://www.cr.nps.gov/history/online_books/steamtown/shs2o.htm
borntoolate

« Reply #3 on: Nov 5th, 2006, 9:36pm »

I search every pile of photos, wherever I find them. Yard sales, antique shops, thrift stores and train shows.

x600
Historian

« Reply #4 on: Nov 6th, 2006, 12:51am »

Very cool rare shots.  
Greg O

NKP759fan
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #5 on: Nov 6th, 2006, 1:23pm »

I should start stopping more at yard sales and antique shops. There's this map of the Scranton railyard in 1900 that this local antique shop has and I want to get my hands on it, but the guy doesn't want to sell it. I'm going to keep trying tho.

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #6 on: Nov 6th, 2006, 8:23pm »

on Nov 5th, 2006, 9:36pm, borntoolate wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I search every pile of photos, wherever I find them. Yard sales, antique shops, thrift stores and train shows.

...that sure beats what I find at yard sales and thrift stores around here!  

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

moderator- D&H, Erie Lackawanna/Erie and LA&L/B&H/WNYP

P.S. All aboard for the last train to Hammondsport!
NKP759fan
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #7 on: Jan 9th, 2012, 12:04am »

on Nov 5th, 2006, 4:00pm, borntoolate wrote:       (Click here for original message)
OK, you guys have been asleep at the switch lately, so I will try to get things rolling again by posting some amateur snapshots I found. The first three are dated Sept 1947. The last is undated and may not be the same era. The passenger car shots are labeled Scranton and Carbondale. Enjoy.

I know this thread has been dead for a few years and I have looked over these images many a time lol. But in the second picture with the Church in the background the boxcar to the right is a Canadian Pacific boxcar. Little did the D&H know then that CP would come to own them. Just an interesting thought  

Geoff
Railfan

« Reply #8 on: Jan 14th, 2012, 10:58pm »

Here's the great thing I love about old photos, trying to figure out where the photo was taken.

The first photo was obviously taken on the line between Scranton and Carbondale because there are obviously four main line tracks. The two center tracks were for passenger and through freights, the outer tracks for locals,mostly mine runs.  

Checking through the Official List dated 1953 provided by Matt Forsyth the only two locations having a water tank (Visible in the photo on the right side of the tracks) were Archbald and Olyphant. Archbald's tank was listed as 35,000gal and Olyphant's as 50,000. Both were on the northbound side of the tracks.  

Given the location of the Water tower and the crossing shanty and the road that crosses the tracks near the tower this is Olyphant.  

Several old photos in the files section of the D & H group corroborate the location of the tower and crossing shanty.  

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dandh/files/Olyphant%20Photos/

Check out the second photo in the files.  

The train is northbound.  

And yes the D & H used open platform coaches ( With Roller Bearing trucks!) until the end of passenger service on the branch.

(And I was born in 1947!)

« Last Edit: Jan 14th, 2012, 11:30pm by Geoff » Logged
NKP759fan
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #9 on: Jan 15th, 2012, 11:09pm »

The church in the second photo gives the picture away. I believe that is St. Mary's Church. I'm not all too familiar with the street names in Scranton but to the right of this photo up above the embankment is where the present day Northeastern Eye Care Center is. If I am not mistaken this is the "Cherry Hill" branch of the D&H. It was abandoned for many years until the Delaware Lackawanna revived service on it. I'm not 100% on that tho. Im trying to figure out how the Penn Division was accessed before this track was put back into service by the DL??

borntoolate

« Reply #10 on: Jan 16th, 2012, 8:38pm »

Trying to reset broken links...

Geoff
Railfan

« Reply #11 on: Jan 17th, 2012, 5:16pm »

The photo with the Church was probably taken from the passenger platform behind he D & H Station in Scranton. The D & H had a stub end yard and Passenger yard that were above the D & H Main next to the river. The passenger Trains reached the station tracks from the Main line. The Vine Street Branch also connected to the D & H.  

You can see the track layout by searching the Sanborn Fire Maps at here:

http://www.jon-n-bevliles.net/RAILROAD/Sanborn/sanborn-pennsylvania.html

Go to the Scranton maps. The map you want is Scranton Vol1. Use the bottom icon in the left margin (The one with a blue ribbon) to call up a list of the maps. The map showing the connection to the main line is on map sheet +9. The next sheet showing the vine street connection is sheet+5. The sheet showing the layout of the passenger station and freight yards is Sheet +1.

If you stacked the sheets starting with 9 on top 5 in the middle and 1 on the bottom you can follow the connections.  

Interesting track configuration would make a nice layout. Alas all gone by the diesel era!

« Last Edit: Jan 17th, 2012, 5:36pm by Geoff » Logged
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »