Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 22nd, 2017, 11:13pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Penn Division in the 70s
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Delaware & Hudson
(Moderators: Matthew_L, x600, NKP759fan)
   Penn Division in the 70s
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Penn Division in the 70s  (Read 2175 times)
x600
Historian
Re: Penn Division in the 70s

« Reply #40 on: Oct 27th, 2008, 2:20am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

TJ,
I absolutely agree with Matt, not long winded at all, and these topics all bring back memories, mostly good, from Rails and Fans alike. For me it nice to think about a place and time when things seemed to be simpler.
I lived at the end of Pear St. right at the cross overs, from 55 (birth) to '67.
Our play ground was from Cherry St to just past Breck St in the area of the DL shop. It wasn't that I was a fan so much as The D&H trains were so much a part of my daily life.  I can remember the Black RSs on freight and the S2s on the local. I still recall seeing the new Blue and Grey although I didn't know what I was looking at. But they all put on a good show heading north. Then the big GEs and 6s shook us out of our play to watch them work. So it's fun to hear from someone else that's been around there.
I know that from very early on we all had a lot of respect for the trains and kept a wary eye open for trains. Some times they could sneak right up on you!!
What times did you work around there and what did engines did you use?

Greg O.
I hate to type and rely on Spelll check to fix things!

« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2008, 2:22am by x600 » Logged

TJ_1867
Chaser

« Reply #41 on: Oct 27th, 2008, 10:05pm »

x600, hired out in May 1976 until my retirement in Feb 2001 Started out on the Hudson extra board but spent quite a bit of time in Green Ridge Yard which by the way, the jobs in Green Ridge where filled from the Carbondale extra board even though there where no crews in Carbondale.  
There where two local freights in Green Ridge when I hired out, both jobs worked 6 days a week with P2 on duty at 08:00AM Mon. through Sat. with Sun. off, this job did almost all of the local Scranton work in the morning and then went north to Carbondale 3 to 5 times a week. P4 went on duty at 11:00AM Mon. through Fri, with Sat off and went on duty Sun. at 08:00AM, this job did some switching in the yard and then went south with stops in Yatesville and then continued to Hudson, and then returned to Green Ridge later that evening.
I pulled out all of my time books and looking at 1977 in Green Ridge yard on April 6 we had the 5004 then on the 8th and 10th we had the 5003, I knew we had one of the old engines and on April 11th we had the 4125 and we also had the 4125 on the 15th I remember that engine being around for about 2 weeks and then after that we had the 5017, 5002, 5015, 5020. This could go on and on as I have all my time books with engine numbers, so as you can see they kept the 5000's on the local freights in my time.  Just a little bit of history.

x600
Historian

« Reply #42 on: Oct 28th, 2008, 11:31pm »

TJ, Thanks for that information, good stuff!.
did you guys use just one unit to work the locals or pairs?
Greg O.

TJ_1867
Chaser

« Reply #43 on: Nov 3rd, 2008, 7:25am »

x600  Always two engines at Green Ridge one for each job P2 & P4, the engines were put in the roundhouse and shut down after shift, there was even heat in the roundhouse, so they were garage kept so to speak.

x600
Historian

« Reply #44 on: Nov 4th, 2008, 12:11am »

Thanks for that, TJ.  
Greg O

customtrains
TRAINing

« Reply #45 on: Feb 10th, 2010, 8:07pm »

Hi John,

Your pictures really take me back to a place.  There is nothing like seeing Delaware & Hudson and Lehigh Valley C628's together.  I, for one, was never a portrait photographer myself, as I just loved to watch trains roll by and I look at the pictures as a moment in time.  The more pictures there are, the easier it is to visit great places such as the Penn Division in the 70s.  Thanks for posting and thanks to your dad and uncle for railfanning when I was just a baby so I can see Penn Central action now.

Andy

NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #46 on: Jul 24th, 2010, 8:37pm »

Great pics. I remember the big LV Alcos heading through Carbondale in the mid 70's. They were getting old at the time and one train had to yard in Carbondale as most of the units had died. Light units were sent up and the train left nb with quite a few diesels both dead and alive.

NKP759fan
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #47 on: Jan 16th, 2012, 2:01pm »

I know this is awfully a late response but, TJ_1867 ( I hope your still on the site). When was that roundhouse torn down? I didnt realize the D&H had a roundhouse in the Green Ridge Yard. I know it probally wasnt a large roundhouse a couple stalls at most

Nickel Plate Road "Berkshire" #759
Built: August 1944
Builder: Lima Locomotives Works
Driver diameter: 69 inches
Boiler Pressure: 245
Coal: 22 tons
Water: 22,000 gallons
Retired: 1958
Used on the famous High Iron Excursions
http://www.cr.nps.gov/history/online_books/steamtown/shs2o.htm
TJ_1867
Chaser

« Reply #48 on: Jan 16th, 2012, 8:37pm »

Yes still on the site, as far as when the roundhouse was torn down, I don't know, but I will be In Dickson City for the next three weeks and I know who will have that answer, as far as stalls I know there where definitely two with tracks in them because we always put the two engines away every night and there was two stalls with no rails in them.

NKP759fan
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #49 on: Jan 16th, 2012, 9:51pm »

Glad to see your still around TJ! Thanks for the reply. I know there is a blue footbridge that goes over the old Green Ridge yard. Last time I was there was at least 3 years ago, only a couple of propane cars sitting there. I have a picture of a D&H Camelback switching passenger coaches from 1945 in one of my local calendars. I will upload when I find it.

NKP759fan
Historian
View Profile  

DH_2-2.jpg - 68067 Bytes
« Reply #50 on: Jan 16th, 2012, 10:35pm »

I found the picture from the Green Ridge yard. It's from a Lackawanna & Wyoming Valley Historical society calendar. Photo from collection of Bud Chase. These calendars really are full of rare and unique shots

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/DH/DH_2-2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

NKP759fan
Historian
View Profile  

scan0002_775x589.jpg - 80267 Bytes
« Reply #51 on: Jan 16th, 2012, 10:43pm »

D&H Inspection train Northbound near the Stillwater Reservoir in 1981. The purpose of this inspection was for Timothy Mellon of Guilford Transportation industries who was considering buying the cash strapped D&H.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/DH/scan0002_775x589.jpg
Click Image to Resize

TJ_1867
Chaser

« Reply #52 on: Oct 19th, 2012, 10:16pm »

NEFAN, in another subject you posted a picture of the Thompson station, there was a siding there which was switched while heading north, I was STUCK on a ballast cleaning train for a week, and we tied the train up on that siding every night, can't remember ever spotting any cars at that feed mill though, we did spot a car once in awhile at KA cabin, the creamery switch, which was about 7 or 8 miles north of the Thompson station, that was to be done with a southbound movement.   TJ

NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #53 on: Oct 20th, 2012, 8:36am »

I never ventured up that way when the RR was still running. I find it interesting that there even was local business in such a rural area. Thanks to you and dhsxdf for the info.

ch8ch
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #54 on: Aug 28th, 2016, 7:44pm »

on Feb 14th, 2006, 3:25pm, Penn Central SD40 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Cant remember the name of this street but the exit for the casey highway comes out now between those 2 poles in the back left....

This is Delaware ST in East Jermyn.....I live a block from here and I cant believe what I'm seeing....wow...memories

ch8ch
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #55 on: Aug 31st, 2016, 5:41pm »

on Feb 14th, 2006, 3:25pm, Penn Central SD40 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Cant remember the name of this street but the exit for the casey highway comes out now between those 2 poles in the back left....

Your pictures are great. I grew up here and my grandmother took us kids walking along these same spots! From 67-79 were those years...Now only a weekly DL&W if youre lucky...and the tracks in nowhere near the condition back then

Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »