Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 24th, 2017, 6:12am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

D&H WILKES BARRE CONNECTING Railroad
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Delaware & Hudson
(Moderators: Matthew_L, x600, NKP759fan)
   D&H WILKES BARRE CONNECTING Railroad
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: D&H WILKES BARRE CONNECTING Railroad  (Read 2709 times)
LV LOU
Historian
Re: D&H WILKES BARRE CONNECTING Railroad

« Reply #40 on: Mar 13th, 2006, 10:26pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Rick,as far as I know,unless they tore it down recently,that DL&W bridge is still there.It's behind the Hanover Cemetary.I just checked it on a terraserver,the area is called the flats.

When it hits the fan,be the fan...
XPLORER
Historian

« Reply #41 on: Mar 14th, 2006, 4:54am »

Lou Check the date on your terraserrver. That bridge was Razed for the Dike project afew years ago. The question is Why? The dike ends a 1/2 mile above this bridge location. Thanks for the info but the H&N is my stompin grounds. I told you I was  a DL&W guy. Read this carefully.

http://forums.railfan.net/forums.cgi?board=Lackawanna;action=display;num=1125542440

RR

Andyt293
Historian

« Reply #42 on: Mar 14th, 2006, 7:56am »

Bridges were removed to allow the river to flow more easily  during flood stages. Same rationale was used when the former Lehigh Valley piers that once carried the Port Bowkley bridge from Plains into Forty Fort were removed as part of the same project.

I can tell you that when spring and late summer high water events occur, everything, and I mean everything collects against bridge piers.  Campers, doghouses, sheds, timber, debris you name it.   This causes the river to "back up" plus with a bridge that is no longer being maintained you have the possibillity of it being pushed to the point of collapse resulting  in it ending up going downstream and hitting another bridge.  

That said, I really miss those Port Bowkely piers, especially on the Forty Fort side.  Spent a lot of time hanging out there growing up.

If I stand in Grandma's back yard in Georgetown and close my eyes real tight, I can still hear CNJ freights grinding up the backtrack......and smell the smoke from the brake shoes of a Tuscan Century 628 as it leads NE-84 through Georgetown Interlocking on its way to a meet with the D&H at W-B.....
LV LOU
Historian
  flood_023.jpg - 100899 Bytes
« Reply #43 on: Mar 14th, 2006, 10:12am »

LOL!! Hey Andy,ya don't hafta tell me about bridge piers,this is the view outside my shop window last year!!! Rick,the terraserver was 2002,that's why I figured if it was gone,it hadda be recent.Must have been at the same time they removed the old Carey Ave bridge,along with the Breslau bridge.

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (100899 bytes, 1024x768 pixels)

Click Here to View Image flood_023.jpg - 100899 Bytes

XPLORER
Historian

« Reply #44 on: Mar 14th, 2006, 5:00pm »

Mathew you are welcome! We are a bit off topic but some of the info applies to the end of the Relic Trestles. The D&H having three within five miles.

Boy guys we should start a Trestle thread.  

Andy, I did a lot of fishing on the Forty Fort side of that Port Bowkley area before they raised the dike. Also the D&H Ply Branch bridge. Both areas are not so good any more. I was at the D&H site last June. The river was low and I was able to find lumber and such from the base of the piers.  

Andy, I understand the FLOW PROBLEM but what I don't understand is," why did they leave the PRR Trestle in Nanticoke?" The West Nanticoke area gets killed when the waters rise. the H&N was in the flats and half gone on the flats side

Here are some good links on all the subjects. All the folks at these links did great jobs. The Caboose Nut is a hoot. See his jargon on the Catawissa Bridge. He bought it so they would not tear it down. D&H shots at other links. Read and enjoy guys.
RR

http://trackman.caboosenut.com/flood/

http://nepa.railfan.net/brtr/bfdht.htm

http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Lofts/6444/pbd.htm

« Last Edit: Mar 14th, 2006, 5:10pm by XPLORER » Logged
LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #45 on: Mar 14th, 2006, 7:04pm »

They might have left the old PRR bridge because it's only a short distance downriver from the west Nanticoke bridge.It probably doesn't have much impact on flooding because of that.

Andyt293
Historian

« Reply #46 on: Mar 16th, 2006, 7:45pm »

I can't say for certain why the trestle in West Nanticoke wasn't removed, but just speculating, it could be that the river is wider at that point and therefore the water can flow more easily, or that the area in question was beyond the scope of the flood mitigation project and therefore there was no money for the removal of the trestle.  

Continueing off-topic, Xplorer, just beyond the south side of the abuttment on the Forty Fort side of the Susquehanna River was a pool carved out by the swirling motion of water passing the piers.  It was impossible to cast your line there and not catch a channel catfish.  Unfortunately, with the removal of the abuttment, the pool disappeared and so did the channel cats.

If I stand in Grandma's back yard in Georgetown and close my eyes real tight, I can still hear CNJ freights grinding up the backtrack......and smell the smoke from the brake shoes of a Tuscan Century 628 as it leads NE-84 through Georgetown Interlocking on its way to a meet with the D&H at W-B.....
XPLORER
Historian
  LOREE1.jpg - 30858 Bytes
« Reply #47 on: Sep 27th, 2006, 6:07am »

Here's a shot of the Loree found in some family pictures. It appears that my great grandfather had the same interest as me. As you could see we have some hoppers in the area so it was still in service.  
RR

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/DH/LOREE1.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #48 on: Sep 27th, 2006, 1:09pm »

Thanks for sharing. What year was that photo taken?

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

moderator- D&H, Erie Lackawanna/Erie and LA&L/B&H/WNYP

P.S. All aboard for the last train to Hammondsport!
Geoff
Railfan

« Reply #49 on: Sep 28th, 2006, 9:11am »

Great Photo!  There is very little written about D & H operations in the coal fields and about their breakers. I have considered modeling a breaker and the associated tracks but can find little to go on. There are plenty of photos of the structures but almost no info on the associated RR layout.  

A breaker would make a great small layout, modeling the structure and RR operations close to scale with the tracks running off to a hidden staging yard. Perhaps modeling a town with associated station/passenger traffic/other local rail customers. Most breakers in the steam era had towns close by where the miners lived, or local miners commuter operations.

WVTransplant

View Profile  

« Reply #50 on: Mar 14th, 2007, 1:08am »

More great historical shots.  Thanks folks.

« Last Edit: Jun 14th, 2011, 10:53pm by WVTransplant » Logged
Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #51 on: Mar 14th, 2007, 9:27pm »

Very interesting. Was "The Pioneer" supplied by the D&H or the Pennsy?

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

moderator- D&H, Erie Lackawanna/Erie and LA&L/B&H/WNYP

P.S. All aboard for the last train to Hammondsport!
NKP759fan
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #52 on: Mar 16th, 2007, 10:05am »

Hey guys,
 Sorry i haven't been around much lately but what Geoff said is true. There are barely any pictures of D&H coal breakers in service. The D&H made it's income from transporting coal from breakers to the market. It's suprising that there are no pictures or much information for the matter on D&H coal operations. (I mean Hudson Coal operations.) Also, interesting picture.

« Last Edit: Mar 16th, 2007, 10:07am by NKP759fan » Logged

Nickel Plate Road "Berkshire" #759
Built: August 1944
Builder: Lima Locomotives Works
Driver diameter: 69 inches
Boiler Pressure: 245
Coal: 22 tons
Water: 22,000 gallons
Retired: 1958
Used on the famous High Iron Excursions
http://www.cr.nps.gov/history/online_books/steamtown/shs2o.htm
XPLORER
Historian

« Reply #53 on: Mar 21st, 2007, 6:44am »

on Mar 16th, 2007, 10:05am, NKP759fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hey guys,
 Sorry i haven't been around much lately but what Geoff said is true. There are barely any pictures of D&H coal breakers in service. The D&H made it's income from transporting coal from breakers to the market. It's suprising that there are no pictures or much information for the matter on D&H coal operations. (I mean Hudson Coal operations.) Also, interesting picture.

I tried to get a D&H in the Coal Feilds thread started it has just kind of laid there.
http://forums.railfan.net/forums.cgi?board=DH;action=display;num=1143754982

I would have too say around Hudson/Plains/Miners Mills aka Mill Creek would be a good area to model.

The_Swede
Chaser

« Reply #54 on: Oct 29th, 2007, 10:36am »

Hudson Coal Sources:  Here are a couple of books that pertain to their operations.....

The Story of Anthracite (1932), published by Hudson Coal, not hard to find in the antiquarian book trade.  Many small photos scattered throughout.

Illustrating An Anthracite Era: The Photographs of John Horgan (about 1998..) Available for $10 from PA BookStore ( on-line) Nice sized reproductions of Horgans photos (about 6" x 9" or so), he was the company photographer for Hudson Coal.  All taken in the 1910's and 20's.  
His photos illustrate the above book also.

Hope that is of some help.    John

Hank Rogers
TRAINing
  armory_map.jpg - 81114 Bytes
« Reply #55 on: Feb 13th, 2008, 8:39am »

A while back there was discussion about a line coming off the WBC trestle in Kingston, to serve the trolley barn.  I have an older topo map that shows the track arrangement.  Hope this is helpful.
...Hank

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/DH/armory_map.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »