Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 24th, 2017, 6:15am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

D&H WILKES BARRE CONNECTING Railroad
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Delaware & Hudson
(Moderators: Matthew_L, x600, NKP759fan)
   D&H WILKES BARRE CONNECTING Railroad
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: D&H WILKES BARRE CONNECTING Railroad  (Read 2710 times)
NKP759fan
Historian
View Profile  

Re: D&H WILKES BARRE CONNECTING Railroad

« Reply #20 on: Sep 15th, 2005, 5:37pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Thank you again Xplorer for sharing your knowledge and pictures of the Wilkes Barre Branch. I have many pictures of D&H Challengers on the Wilkes Barre Branch. I love railroad bridges that go over rivers, but nothing compares to a bridge going over the mighty Susqhueanna River.  

Nickel Plate Road "Berkshire" #759
Built: August 1944
Builder: Lima Locomotives Works
Driver diameter: 69 inches
Boiler Pressure: 245
Coal: 22 tons
Water: 22,000 gallons
Retired: 1958
Used on the famous High Iron Excursions
http://www.cr.nps.gov/history/online_books/steamtown/shs2o.htm
NKP759fan
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #21 on: Oct 4th, 2005, 9:12pm »

Very nicely said xplorer. The railroads really contributed to making NEPA such a great place. I just wish that these railroads were still around because I would assume that in the coming years Anthracite coal is once again going to be a major heating fuel with the price of oil these days. It will be interesting to see the coal industry jump started and how the railroads will handle it. I burn Anthracite Coal at my house and I will never change to oil. The D&H was a major part of coal country and the D&H really jump started coal mining in North Eastern Pa with the canals and gravity slopes. Long live the D&H!!

Nickel Plate Road "Berkshire" #759
Built: August 1944
Builder: Lima Locomotives Works
Driver diameter: 69 inches
Boiler Pressure: 245
Coal: 22 tons
Water: 22,000 gallons
Retired: 1958
Used on the famous High Iron Excursions
http://www.cr.nps.gov/history/online_books/steamtown/shs2o.htm
XPLORER
Historian
  GAUNTLETWB_TO_KING.jpg - 47301 Bytes
« Reply #22 on: Jan 16th, 2006, 11:05pm »

Gauntlet facing Kingston

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/DH/GAUNTLETWB_TO_KING.jpg
Click Image to Resize

XPLORER
Historian
  WBC_MARKET_ST_KINGSTON.jpg - 38764 Bytes
« Reply #23 on: Jan 16th, 2006, 11:07pm »

Back to Kingston from the Black Diamond. First pic i sover Market St the second i sover Pierce on route to the Gauntlet

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/DH/WBC_MARKET_ST_KINGSTON.jpg
Click Image to Resize

XPLORER
Historian
  WBC_PIERCE_ST_KINGS.jpg - 41864 Bytes
« Reply #24 on: Jan 16th, 2006, 11:09pm »

Pierce St

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/DH/WBC_PIERCE_ST_KINGS.jpg
Click Image to Resize

XPLORER
Historian
  WBC_RIVER_ST.jpg - 33701 Bytes
« Reply #25 on: Jan 16th, 2006, 11:10pm »

Back over the Gauntlet to Plains

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/DH/WBC_RIVER_ST.jpg
Click Image to Resize

XPLORER
Historian
  WBC_OVER_RIVER_ST.jpg - 24283 Bytes
« Reply #26 on: Jan 16th, 2006, 11:11pm »

Off the Gauntlet and over River St

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/DH/WBC_OVER_RIVER_ST.jpg
Click Image to Resize

XPLORER
Historian

« Reply #27 on: Jan 16th, 2006, 11:23pm »

If you go back to the start of this thread I have updated and time lined the thread to show the D&H were masters of Copy and Paste. I will be back to add more down the line. I would like to get shots of the Black Diamond from Kingston and another bridge in Kingston. Then back to River St just after the Gauntlet to a bridge over the CNJ L&S on to Hudson yards. The last items would be to tie up the Plymouth side of the P&WB at Plymouth Jct. on the Bloom and the WB&E from the River Bridge to Market St. I do not think it had the same ROW as the WBC. I think it was closer to the dike then RT 11. I will find out. Then Lou D will take us Walking on the WB&E. Then I will leave it up to Lou to take us to Hudson and Yatesville on the D&H. As we get closer to Pittston he is the man.

Links below to Gauntlet pics on another site.

http://nepa.railfan.net/stg/stg91805.htm  

http://nepa.railfan.net/stg/stgjul0205.htm

« Last Edit: Jan 17th, 2006, 9:49pm by XPLORER » Logged
LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #28 on: Jan 17th, 2006, 12:27am »

Hey Rick,I started the new thread.Hey,one thing..As far as I know,what is called "the Gauntlet" is actually the high line going through Kingston,not the bridges.It got the name after the Clint Eastwood movie,because of all the kids throwing rocks at the locomotives!!!

When it hits the fan,be the fan...
Maurice
Chaser

« Reply #29 on: Feb 9th, 2006, 8:42pm »

Great thread guys. I have heard stories over the years of a narrow gauge mine railroad using the bridge from Plains to Kingston. It used a "gantlet" track arrangement with the standard gauge, which I assumed got corrupted into gaunlet. The dirty harry link sounds more plausible. One item of note on the WBCR. There was at one time a siding with a steep grade off the line in Kingston to serve the Trolley Barn of the Wilkes Barre Railway Company. This was between Market St. and Northampton St. in Kingston. Most of these buildings still stand. In fact some of them still have track in the floor. But I am off topic.

XPLORER
Historian

« Reply #30 on: Feb 14th, 2006, 12:42pm »

I for one Maurice would like to hear more from you about this. I have been trying to tye this all up. The WB&E/Prr and D&H along with if any rail service in Kingston. We could always delete off topic (if we deem it) from the thread later. Youa re the first other than lou to offer any insight I did not know about. Lou and I did discuss the probability off either WB&E or WBC tracks going to the WB rc and the Armory. I have been digging around for shots of the area in any books that had Kingston as the back ground to a topic. Pleast tell more. What is a Gantlet?
Rick

http://forums.railfan.net/forums.cgi?board=fallenshorts&action=display&num=1137469720

http://forums.railfan.net/forums.cgi?board=fallenshorts;action=display;num=1063460558

Maurice
Chaser

« Reply #31 on: Feb 26th, 2006, 5:55am »

You can still see traces of the ramp on the embankment from the parking lot of the WB bus company. I remember seeing a photo that included it, but will have to search for it.

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #32 on: Mar 1st, 2006, 9:16pm »

Hmmm...I'll hafta go take a look..There's some trolley pics on Market street in the historical society calenders,and some shots on Ed Miller's tapes.Maybe you can see some of this stuff there...Rick,a gauntlet is,by definition,pretty much a a series of barriers,weapons,and actions that are meant to keep someone or thing from getting from one place to another.

« Last Edit: Mar 1st, 2006, 9:22pm by LV LOU » Logged

Andyt293
Historian

« Reply #33 on: Mar 7th, 2006, 6:46am »

Maurice, last year's  (or the year before) Laurel Line NRHS Chapter Calendar has a picture of the ramp leading from the WBC to the traction company's carbarn.

If I stand in Grandma's back yard in Georgetown and close my eyes real tight, I can still hear CNJ freights grinding up the backtrack......and smell the smoke from the brake shoes of a Tuscan Century 628 as it leads NE-84 through Georgetown Interlocking on its way to a meet with the D&H at W-B.....
Andyt293
Historian

« Reply #34 on: Mar 7th, 2006, 6:53am »

Also, the book "The Great Flood of 1972" has numerous pictures of Plymouth Branch including a great aerial shot of the wye connection with the WBC.

The book is available at the Hoyt and Osterhout libraries, not to mention the living rooms of just about everyone living in the area during the flood.

If I stand in Grandma's back yard in Georgetown and close my eyes real tight, I can still hear CNJ freights grinding up the backtrack......and smell the smoke from the brake shoes of a Tuscan Century 628 as it leads NE-84 through Georgetown Interlocking on its way to a meet with the D&H at W-B.....
Bill_Branches
Banned User
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #35 on: Mar 12th, 2006, 2:58pm »

(Message removed by author request)

Banned for a general disrespect of our forum and its members.
XPLORER
Historian

« Reply #36 on: Mar 13th, 2006, 6:58am »

All bridge name posters,

That is the first I have ever heard of the Bridges refered to BILL's way.

Coming up river from the Carey Ave bridge you would first have Richard's Island.

At the upper end of Richards Island you would then have the P&WB bridge from Plymouth JCT (DL&W Bloom) to D&H Buttonwood Branch. Later a section of WBCRR.  

Then you would have The Black Diamond built for the WBCRR from Riverside Drive to Kirby Park in .

Then the Market St Bridge, Pierce St (North St at one time/ also another Memorial name know days)

Then the Gauntlet Bridge. From 3rd Ave Kingston to North Wilkes Barre

The names I guess are just folklore. I have stuck with the "majoritys recolections"
of names in this thread.

I have seen other names in flood books. In the "Trouble with Agnes" book they show a train crossing what I know as the Black Diamond with water up to the wheels and call it the "Carey Ave rr bridge.  

I have seen the P&WB bridge called the Riverside bridge and Buttonwood bridge.

"Fish Island' is a first for me, and "Flats Bridge" I have heard this used for the DL&W H&N bridge. It sat in Plymouth Flats or at one time called Shawnee Flats  

RR

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #37 on: Mar 13th, 2006, 10:19am »

I always wondered why a D&H/Pennsy bridge is called "The Black Diamond" Sounds Valley!!!

XPLORER
Historian

« Reply #38 on: Mar 13th, 2006, 8:14pm »

Lou,
It is funny you would mention that. Due to the Valley's presence on the West side most folks around here think the WBC and the bridge were Lehigh Valley.

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #39 on: Mar 13th, 2006, 9:17pm »

Thanks for the clarification, XPLORER. I was getting a little confused with some of the more recent posts.

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

moderator- D&H, Erie Lackawanna/Erie and LA&L/B&H/WNYP

P.S. All aboard for the last train to Hammondsport!
Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »