Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 22nd, 2017, 11:15pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Anyone Live in a D&H Town?
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Delaware & Hudson
(Moderators: Matthew_L, x600, NKP759fan)
   Anyone Live in a D&H Town?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Anyone Live in a D&H Town?  (Read 646 times)
Charlie Ricker
Historian
Re: Anyone Live in a D&H Town?

« Reply #20 on: Oct 11th, 2012, 6:50pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Welcome aboard!!  

Charlie

~Charlie Ricker

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #21 on: Oct 11th, 2012, 8:02pm »

on Oct 11th, 2012, 3:35pm, dhsxdf wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Yes! I have lived  here in Carbondale my whole life. Retired from the D&H railroad. I gusess you could call Carbondale the heart of the Penn Division. A town where a lot of first time things has hppened. New to this site,hope I can be of service.

Welcome to the D&H board! Anything you can share will be welcome.

« Last Edit: Oct 11th, 2012, 8:03pm by Matthew_L » Logged

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

moderator- D&H, Erie Lackawanna/Erie and LA&L/B&H/WNYP

P.S. All aboard for the last train to Hammondsport!
NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #22 on: Oct 11th, 2012, 8:04pm »

on Oct 11th, 2012, 3:35pm, dhsxdf wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Yes! I have lived  here in Carbondale my whole life. Retired from the D&H railroad. I gusess you could call Carbondale the heart of the Penn Division. A town where a lot of first time things has hppened. New to this site,hope I can be of service.

Thanks for joining. I spent quite a bit of time in Carbondale back in the 1970's when I visted my grandparents. I visited the yard as much as I could and was lucky enough to ride the local freight a number of times around the yard.
Where on the D&H did you work and what was your occupation?

dhsxdf
TRAINing

« Reply #23 on: Oct 12th, 2012, 12:13am »

NEFAN

I had the the two best jobs on the railroad. I worked as (offical title) Agent/Telegrapher/Hudson TCS Operator. The territory I covered was from Kase Tower on the Sunbury Main to DF Cabin at Carbondale Yard,controled the southend of Carbondale Yard. I reported to the Southend Train Dispatcher at Albany. I also worked as the station agent in Carbondale and Thompson. I was one of the last operators on the D & H when they closed SX Tower in 1981.
Transfered to the transportation dept. in Fireman training, Fireman, then Engineer on the extra board. Worked Hudson to Enola, Hudson to Atown, Hudson to Bingo, Bingo to Mechville, Atown to Park Jct. Worked out Taylor as Fireman on P1. One of my last run on the Penn Divison North of WC Cabin was as an Enginner on a work train to north of UD Cabin ripping up the track to FT Cabin. That was my life on the D & H. Sorry to see it so cut up, a lot of good memories and great guys I worked with.

NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #24 on: Oct 13th, 2012, 7:57pm »

Wow, you had an extensive career with the D&H. I have to ask questions.  When you were the agent for Carbondale, I imagine that you worked in the office at the diesel shop? What customers and area were your responsibiity?
As agent in Thompson, I assume you worked out of the station?

Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #25 on: Oct 13th, 2012, 8:27pm »

Hi dhsxdf,  
I'm definitely looking forward to any insight, stories and anything else you wish to share. You definitely had some career!

Charlie

~Charlie Ricker

dhsxdf
TRAINing

« Reply #26 on: Oct 14th, 2012, 3:29pm »

When I worked as the agent in Carbondale at the diesel shop, I covered the vacation of the regular agent and that was 4 or 5 times during the year and the same for Thomson at Thomson station. The biggest customers Carbondale Coal Co., Gilleon Coal Co, Fab-Weld, Welded Rail plant, Eythal Plant We would get get cars of lumber for Fleetwood and other lumber yards and car loads of feed Waymart Milling. Cars at Jessup and Olyphant.
This should answer your questions about siddings South of DF Cabin, there were two, one to service the Fleetwood trailer plant,which was never used because the curves were too sharp. at the the top of the hill. They put an 5000 engine up the sidding once to test it and didn't make were afraid the engine would derail. The second one South of the crossovers and went all the to Seventh Ave. This was were they loaded the hopper cars, there was a coal ramp where dump trucks would load the cars. Anywhere from 10 to 15 hoppers would be placed there.
Fab-Weld made and shipped Conex containners for the Army. Eythal pant got covered hoppers of plastic pellets. The Welded rail trains were shipped to different railroads and Carbondale Coal Co shipped the mine run.
Mike_Nepa  I see you have done a lots of walking on the Penn Div. and have done a lot of good work. if you would like to email me maybe we can get together some day and look at the stright line maps that I have of the Penn Div showing just about were everything is located including the signal cases. Sorry for the long post. (tpeagle@echoes.net)

NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

Thompson_Pa_3_816x612.jpg - 77580 Bytes
« Reply #27 on: Oct 16th, 2012, 9:21pm »

Great information, I remember most of those shippers when I was there in the mid 70's. The Fleetwood siding was a strange one. As a kid I thought it was used to stop run aways coming down the hill. I would have loved to have seen a 5000 try to get up that thing.  
I used to stop in the Diesel shop to ask the agent if any trains were near. (or use the men's room). He would jokingly ask me "why which way are you going?"
Here is a pic of the Thomson station as it looks these days. - Now selling ice cream. I assume the building in the back was a shipper? Any others shippers in that area?

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/DH/Thompson_Pa_3_816x612.jpg
Click Image to Resize

dhsxdf
TRAINing

« Reply #28 on: Oct 16th, 2012, 10:40pm »

Everyone thought the Fleetwood siding was a run away track it wasn't. I think they got that idea when pusher 760 was a runaway and derailed around #10 bridge. There was talk if it got by WC cabin they were going to put in that switch but at 60mph they didn't think it would have been a good idea.  
Thomson station had three customers all feed companys two at Thomson and on at Starrucca. The (EL) Jeff local out of Scrantion service the customers on a as need basis. The local was run on a Sat. or Sun.
The agent you talked with must have been Ed Burke he was the regular agent at Carbondale for many years.
Someone told me the ice cream shop in Thompson station is closed. Don't know for sure.

NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #29 on: Oct 19th, 2012, 7:04pm »

What years did you work out of Carbondale? I am trying to figure out when the RR abandoned the roundhouse for the Diesel shop. Also when they stopped using the Diesel shop itself. It wasn't in use when I was there in the mid 70's, though the sand towers were still standing.

Also would you know when they built the new Rt171 bridge over the tracks in Simpson?

TJ_1867
Chaser

« Reply #30 on: Oct 19th, 2012, 9:47pm »

dhsxdf  Tino, shoot me a PM, NEFAN, i can answer some of those questions, but it should maybe in a different subject.    TJ

NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #31 on: Oct 20th, 2012, 8:25am »

Thanks TJ. Welcome back.

Geoff
Railfan

« Reply #32 on: Oct 25th, 2012, 8:27pm »

NEFAN Re your picture of Thompson Station. The building in the background was one of the two feed mills in Thompson proper. The other mill was served by a siding  south of the station. The building still stands and the roadbed to the mill is still evident. I spoke to a lifetime local resident who unloaded box cars as a teenager there. It was associated with the mill on RT171 which I understand is still intact inside but has not operated since the owner was killed in an industrial accident inside the mill!

The mill in the picture was originally a Borden's Creamery, and was converted to a feed mill at some point. Matt Forsyth has a picture of the creamery in his D & H Steam Era yahoo group.  

The Ice Cream shop in the station only operates in the summer.  

As an aside am I to believe the D & H built a large Diesel House and never used it?

NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #33 on: Oct 27th, 2012, 9:11am »

Thanks for the info. I am familiar with the Agway mill on rt 171. I wondered why it was unused.  
As for the diesel shop that is still a mystery. The D& H crews also told me a story about an engine washing facility that was added to the roundhouse a short time before the whole thing was shutdown. Not sure what the thought process was around the facilities in Carbondale at that time.

Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »