Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 24th, 2017, 6:06am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Anyone Live in a D&H Town?
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Delaware & Hudson
(Moderators: Matthew_L, x600, NKP759fan)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Anyone Live in a D&H Town?  (Read 648 times)
NKP759fan
Historian
View Profile  

« on: Apr 22nd, 2005, 10:04pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Just wondering how many of you live in a D&H town. In a way I lived in a D&H town, Scranton, but then I moved and now I'm in more of a DL&W setting in Moscow. The D&H presence was very strong in the Northeast as it was where the D&H got it's start. Let's hear from you guys!!

Nickel Plate Road "Berkshire" #759
Built: August 1944
Builder: Lima Locomotives Works
Driver diameter: 69 inches
Boiler Pressure: 245
Coal: 22 tons
Water: 22,000 gallons
Retired: 1958
Used on the famous High Iron Excursions
http://www.cr.nps.gov/history/online_books/steamtown/shs2o.htm
3254Fan
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Anyone Live in a D&H Town?

« Reply #1 on: Apr 23rd, 2005, 2:36pm »

Well, I live in Olyphant, which was once a big D&H town. The freight station was unfortunately just demolished 2 years ago. It was on the grounds of Brick City.

Moderates: East Broad Top
NKP759fan
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: Apr 24th, 2005, 10:58am »

Thats pretty sad, what idiot would do something like that? History is priceless. Anyone have pictures of the D&H freight house in Olyphant?

« Last Edit: Apr 24th, 2005, 10:59am by NKP759fan » Logged

3254Fan
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #3 on: Apr 25th, 2005, 4:18pm »

Try www.west2k.com. Click on Pennsylvania Stations the Station Database. Click on Lackawanna County then Olyphant, it'll bring up a good picture. The station wasn't in bad condition either. Even if the owner did decide to keep it standing, he would have modernized the structure so much, it wouldn't even have looked like a station since he knew nothing about railroad preservation.

Moderates: East Broad Top
NKP759fan
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: Apr 26th, 2005, 4:47pm »

Thanks for the picture. Still, knocking down a historic building is not the answer. Thats the problem nowadays, all the old and historic buildings are being torn down and new ones are being put up. It's just not right. I may understand if the building is having structural failure or something but knocking down buildings just because they are vacant does not make sense

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #5 on: May 4th, 2005, 7:40pm »

I didn't live in a traditional D&H town per se but I grew up near the Southern Tier line, which essentially became an extension of the D&H in the '80s.  Saw lots of trains rumbling thru Elmira and Waverly (where my grandmothers lived).  Although I have seen D&H trains on home rails, I saw alot more of the D&H on the ex-EL back in the day. There were piggybacks on the Apollo runs (inherited from LV), and most of the early stacks I saw ran behind D&H power.  As time went on, D&H was running more trains on the Tier than CR...

Oh, did I just mention "the day"- I must be getting old!!!  

« Last Edit: May 4th, 2005, 7:42pm by Matthew_L » Logged

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

moderator- D&H, Erie Lackawanna/Erie and LA&L/B&H/WNYP

P.S. All aboard for the last train to Hammondsport!
XPLORER
Historian

« Reply #6 on: Aug 31st, 2005, 1:52pm »

I live in a every thing township. CNJ/DL&W/PRR/LVRR & the D&H. They ran over through around and by each other here in Hanover TWP. I have a lot of pics of the Wilkes Barre Connecting out of Buttonwood Yards if anybody is interested.
Rick

alcoc420
Historian

« Reply #7 on: Aug 31st, 2005, 3:05pm »

I used to live Binghamton. Home of many great roads. Now i live in Easton.

Member of the BLACK DIAMOND SOCIETY OF MODEL ENGINEERS

Jim-Go
Railfan

« Reply #8 on: Sep 30th, 2005, 10:19am »

on Apr 23rd, 2005, 2:36pm, 3254Fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Well, I live in Olyphant, which was once a big D&H town. The freight station was unfortunately just demolished 2 years ago. It was on the grounds of Brick City.

Just the forum I was looking for!  Well, I used to live in Blakely, top of the hill up West Lackawanna Ave.  And since it has Olyphant's zip code, I can claim that title.  My question is, does anyone have any of the photos of the two giant smokestacks that used ot be there on the flats.   I'm not sure of the border between Dickson and Olyphant; kind of a nebulous zone there, but I know most of you remember what I'm talking about.    Behind where the new Giant Market is?  (Some of you in your 40's will remember the 1st Giant Market on the other side of Main Street, behind the Carvel in the building that's now the banquet hall.)

I was a photographer for my yearbook in high school in the late 70's,  and those smokestacks were a favorite subject when I first got my camera.   Sitting on the coal mountain behind the baseball field on Columbus Ave in Blakely, I must have wasted 100 shots on those smokestacks.  Sad thing, is my pics are lost somewhere in my parent's house!  I will find them, though...

Another Olyphant tidbit: Anyone remember the old guard shack on Lackawanna Ave by the river, along the old O&W tracks?

NKP759fan
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #9 on: Oct 4th, 2005, 9:00pm »

Hey Jim,
 I'm not sure about the smokestacks, I don't remember seeing any so I guess they most likely were torn down.  Can anyone answer Jim's question?

Jim-Go
Railfan

« Reply #10 on: Oct 5th, 2005, 9:06am »

Yeah, those stacks were gone by the mid-80's.   And of all the mining/railroad photos from Lackawanna County, you would think these huge monstors would be there somewhere in photos.  The girl who is the curator at the Lackawanna Historical Society at the George Catlin House, Mary Ann Moran, is a good friend of mine.  I even asked her if they have pics there, and she said she hadn't come across any.

Like I said, I know I have them in my "stuff" somewhere at my parents house.

borntoolate

« Reply #11 on: Oct 6th, 2005, 3:06pm »

I work in Oneonta, which is Indian for 'Place of fire breathing dragons that consume black rock with much noise and steam'. Close enough?

[Sorry to all you politally offended types. E-mail me and I will explain to you why you are always wrong...]

Jim-Go
Railfan

« Reply #12 on: Oct 6th, 2005, 3:08pm »

Where's that on reference to Binghamton; my dad used to work in Johnson City.

PS: If you want to PM me re: PC stuff, please do.  I'll probably agree with you!

borntoolate

« Reply #13 on: Oct 6th, 2005, 5:14pm »

Oneonta yard is half way between Albany and Binghamton on the D&H mainline. Once home to a busy roundhouse and major carshops on the D&H, It is a virtual ghost town now. The CP signal maintainers have an office here and other than a couple of MOW trucks and some LowBoy trailers you don't see much in the yard anymore. Heck, with the new run-thru agreements, you hardly even see Red CP engines anymore........

TJ_1867
Chaser

« Reply #14 on: Oct 22nd, 2008, 9:35pm »

Born and raised and lived in Dickson City Pa.  for about 32 years and now live in Jessup Pa.

mike_nepa
Historian

« Reply #15 on: Oct 25th, 2008, 8:39am »

on Apr 23rd, 2005, 2:36pm, 3254Fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I too live in Olyphant and less then a block away from the tracks. I do remember the old D&H station that Brick City demolished. Too bad they didn't consider its historical significance. AT least last year there spur track saw some use.

Mike

mike_nepa
Historian

« Reply #16 on: Oct 25th, 2008, 8:42am »

on Apr 26th, 2005, 4:47pm, NKP759fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Thanks for the picture. Still, knocking down a historic building is not the answer. Thats the problem nowadays, all the old and historic buildings are being torn down and new ones are being put up. It's just not right. I may understand if the building is having structural failure or something but knocking down buildings just because they are vacant does not make sense

It wasn't vacant, Brick City operated out of that building and tore it down to make it larger and more modern.  

Mike

infantry327
TRAINing

« Reply #17 on: Dec 29th, 2010, 10:13am »

I grew up in Troy, NY wich the D&H served by passenger and freight trains, passenger servic stopped in the 60's but the D&H still has rights into troy were they serve a grain mill in the south end of the city. I Now live in Fort Edward, NY which is still a D&H town, there is a yard here as well as the mainline to Canada and the Glens falls branch is still active, this branch used to go to Lake George, before I forget Fort Edward still has it's very picturesqe D&H station which has been restored and open to the public.on Apr 22nd, 2005, 10:04pm, NKP759fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Just wondering how many of you live in a D&H town. In a way I lived in a D&H town, Scranton, but then I moved and now I'm in more of a DL&W setting in Moscow. The D&H presence was very strong in the Northeast as it was where the D&H got it's start. Let's hear from you guys!!

mike_nepa
Historian
  PC120039_Small.jpg - 83394 Bytes
« Reply #18 on: Jan 1st, 2011, 6:08pm »

I don't have a picture of the stacks but they sound like the ones for the Olyphant power plant.  All I have is a picture of the remains as it was knocked down years ago.

on Oct 4th, 2005, 9:00pm, NKP759fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hey Jim,
 I'm not sure about the smokestacks, I don't remember seeing any so I guess they most likely were torn down.  Can anyone answer Jim's question?

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/DH/PC120039_Small.jpg
Click Image to Resize

dhsxdf
TRAINing

« Reply #19 on: Oct 11th, 2012, 3:35pm »

Yes! I have lived  here in Carbondale my whole life. Retired from the D&H railroad. I gusess you could call Carbondale the heart of the Penn Division. A town where a lot of first time things has hppened. New to this site,hope I can be of service.

Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »