Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 22nd, 2017, 11:05pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

D&H Survivors: The Lightning Lives
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Delaware & Hudson
(Moderators: Matthew_L, x600, NKP759fan)
   D&H Survivors: The Lightning Lives
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: D&H Survivors: The Lightning Lives  (Read 3583 times)
NKP759fan
Historian
View Profile  

Re: D&H Survivors: The Lightning Lives
  new_DH_4103.jpg - 43509 Bytes
« Reply #60 on: Aug 13th, 2009, 1:38pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Another pic

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/DH/new_DH_4103.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Nickel Plate Road "Berkshire" #759
Built: August 1944
Builder: Lima Locomotives Works
Driver diameter: 69 inches
Boiler Pressure: 245
Coal: 22 tons
Water: 22,000 gallons
Retired: 1958
Used on the famous High Iron Excursions
http://www.cr.nps.gov/history/online_books/steamtown/shs2o.htm
Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #61 on: Aug 18th, 2010, 8:20pm »

Here we are in 2010 and a D&H RS11 soldiers on as road power! She is #5010, part of the interesting Alco stable at the Buffalo Southern:

Photo taken by me Friday 7/30/2010 in Hamburg, NY.

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

moderator- D&H, Erie Lackawanna/Erie and LA&L/B&H/WNYP

P.S. All aboard for the last train to Hammondsport!
Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #62 on: Aug 18th, 2010, 8:25pm »

The lightning stripes are gone, but #5010 retains her number and she is well maintained by the Buffalo Southern in an attractive yellow and green scheme:  

Photo taken by me Friday 7/30/2010 in Hamburg, NY.

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #63 on: Aug 18th, 2010, 8:27pm »

It should also be noted that #5010 is active road power for the Buffalo Southern. All three of these shots were taken in the BSOR engine house.  

Photo taken by me Friday 7/30/2010.

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

DH_RS11_5003_Mcville_NY_112680.jpg - 48010 Bytes
« Reply #64 on: Aug 21st, 2010, 10:26am »

That is a good looking unit. The 5 stripes on the end are exactly what was on it when it was painted in the D&H blue dip paint scheme. I couldn't find any pics of the 5010 but I did get the 5003 where you can see the end.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/DH/DH_RS11_5003_Mcville_NY_112680.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #65 on: Aug 27th, 2010, 11:47pm »

Thanks for the pic of #5003. I'll guess I'll have to ask BSOR how they painted #5010 the next time I'm out there. I suspect you are correct- they probably kept the yellow chevrons at each end of the locomotive from the D&H paint job and applied fresh paint for the rest of the new scheme.  

« Last Edit: Sep 3rd, 2010, 6:38pm by Matthew_L » Logged

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

D_and_U_Arkville_NY_2007.jpg - 120448 Bytes
« Reply #66 on: Aug 31st, 2010, 7:42pm »

5017, another survivor on the Delaware  & Ulster in Arkville NY. Love that Alco smoke!

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/DH/D_and_U_Arkville_NY_2007.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #67 on: Sep 3rd, 2010, 6:43pm »

I had the pleasure of spending time with ex-D&H RS3u #506 twice within the past 2 weeks.  

On the first occasion, she was the lead unit on the Tioga Central's Sunset Limited dinner train.  

Photo taken by me Saturday 8/21/2010 at Wellsboro Junction, PA.

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #68 on: Sep 3rd, 2010, 6:46pm »

The previous picture was taken before the excursion left on its evening trip. I boarded the train- so I rode and ate dinner while #506 led the outbound trip through the lush Pennsylvania countryside.  

Photo taken by me Saturday 8/21/2010 in Middlebury Center, PA. The Tioga Central operates its dinner trains pull-pull, so another Alco led the train on the return trip.  

« Last Edit: Sep 4th, 2010, 10:53am by Matthew_L » Logged

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #69 on: Sep 3rd, 2010, 6:51pm »

Two days later, I returned to the same line... to observe the Wellsboro & Corning RR, which operates on the same tracks and has the same ownership as the Tioga Central RR. (WCOR hauls freight; TIOC is the excursion service.) The two operations share locomotives, so it was fun to see #506 switching at Wellsboro Junction:

Photo taken by me Monday 8/23/2010.

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #70 on: Sep 3rd, 2010, 6:57pm »

Number 506 crossing Muck Road:

Photo taken by me Monday 8/23/2010 at Wellsboro Junction.

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #71 on: Sep 3rd, 2010, 7:07pm »

As I departed, #506 was set up for more switching... or perhaps a trip to the glass plant 3-4 miles down the tracks. Nearly 35 years after her overhaul (from RS3 to RS3u), she is still working hard.  

Photo taken by me Monday 8/23/2010 at Wellsboro Junction, PA.

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #72 on: Sep 7th, 2010, 8:08pm »

Thanks for sharing these photos of your trip. Looks like a good outfit. That RS3u was very elusive for me when it was on the D&H. I only have one picture and it is a grab shot of it and another RS3u on helper duty in Pa. ( I think I was running when I took it ) I hope they keep the scheme if they ever repaint it.

I wonder why the D&H chose an RS3u for one of it's Bicentennial units? I always liked them because it seemed the D&H was innovative and maybe better times were ahead in 1976.

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #73 on: Sep 9th, 2010, 8:43pm »

You are quite welcome. It was a joy to see #506 again. She is owned by the Myles family (longtime RR veterans) so she is in great hands. FYI, the meal was excellent and the staff was top notch... so you should make the pilgrimage to Wellsboro Junction.  

To answer your question, I'm assuming #506 received her Bicentennial paint because the body was going to need a new paint job after the rebuild... and she'd be featured on the Apollo/Mercury intermodal trains after the D&H took over that operation from LV in 1976. And, yes, I agree #506 should keep her Bicentennial colors if/when the Myles family repaints her. Not many locomotives painted for the Bicentennial are still active and/or wearing those colors.

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

DelawareHudson_RS36_5013RS3U_1976_Carbondale_Pa_4_77.jpg - 61570 Bytes
« Reply #74 on: Sep 12th, 2010, 3:53pm »

I like  your term "pilgrimage" because that is what it would be. It would be like going to vist an old friend.   Hopefully I can get up to that part of New York state sometime and check it out.  

Here is the only photo I have of it on the D&H. It is moving away from me as I attempt some kind of a photo. The RS3u's were being used as helpers on the grade north out of Carbondale at  the time (1977). They would leave engines on a siding near Mayfield for nb's to pickup.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/DH/DelawareHudson_RS36_5013RS3U_1976_Carbondale_Pa_4_77.jpg
Click Image to Resize

TJ_1867
Chaser

« Reply #75 on: Sep 26th, 2010, 8:43am »

You caught kind of a rare picture there, northbound trains most always used track two from Mayfield (MF Cabin) to Forest City (FT Cabin). Pushers and crews came out of Hudson Yard during my time on the RR. AS I remember those engines slipped a lot under a heavy load.

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #76 on: Sep 26th, 2010, 7:13pm »

on Sep 12th, 2010, 3:53pm, NEFAN wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I like  your term "pilgrimage" because that is what it would be. It would be like going to vist an old friend.   Hopefully I can get up to that part of New York state sometime and check it out.  

Here is the only photo I have of it on the D&H. It is moving away from me as I attempt some kind of a photo. The RS3u's were being used as helpers on the grade north out of Carbondale at  the time (1977). They would leave engines on a siding near Mayfield for nb's to pickup.

Nice shot! Your term "old friend" is quite appropriate, too. I've seen #506 a number of times now- so this last visit was familair in the way I'd seed a friend.  

Also, #506 is based in Wellsboro Junction... which is north-central PA. If you still live in the Scranton/Wilkes Barre area, the drive should be a couple of hours at most.  

Number 506 was used quite a bit in freight service after the Myles family purchased the freight and passenger operations... but that has scaled back over the past year or so. The Myles family built a sand transload facility at Wellsboro Junction, which substantially increased traffic. Although I don't know for certain, I suspect #506 is prone to wheel slippage under a heavy load, as TJ 1867 suggests. The Wellsboro & Corning normally assigns a pair of SD40-2s to make the run from Wellsboro Junction to Gang Mills these days. Thus the RS3u currently pulls lighter duty such as excursions and/or switching.  

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #77 on: Sep 26th, 2010, 8:00pm »

on Sep 26th, 2010, 8:43am, TJ_1867 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
You caught kind of a rare picture there, northbound trains most always used track two from Mayfield (MF Cabin) to Forest City (FT Cabin). Pushers and crews came out of Hudson Yard during my time on the RR. AS I remember those engines slipped a lot under a heavy load.

TJ_1867 thanks. Now that I think about it you are right. Not many moves ran "wrong main" that  I can think of.  I an opening another thread on this and I would appreciate any input that you have on the operations of these units, along with anyone else who wants to chime in. See RS3u.

NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #78 on: Sep 26th, 2010, 8:35pm »

on Sep 26th, 2010, 7:13pm, Matthew_L wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Nice shot! Your term "old friend" is quite appropriate, too. I've seen #506 a number of times now- so this last visit was familair in the way I'd seed a friend.  

Also, #506 is based in Wellsboro Junction... which is north-central PA. If you still live in the Scranton/Wilkes Barre area, the drive should be a couple of hours at most.  

Number 506 was used quite a bit in freight service after the Myles family purchased the freight and passenger operations... but that has scaled back over the past year or so. The Myles family built a sand transload facility at Wellsboro Junction, which substantially increased traffic. Although I don't know for certain, I suspect #506 is prone to wheel slippage under a heavy load, as TJ 1867 suggests. The Wellsboro & Corning normally assigns a pair of SD40-2s to make the run from Wellsboro Junction to Gang Mills these days. Thus the RS3u currently pulls lighter duty such as excursions and/or switching.  

SD40-2 ? Wow, big power for a short line. It's a good thing though to put the RS3u on lighter duty.

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #79 on: Sep 27th, 2010, 8:44pm »

on Sep 26th, 2010, 8:35pm, NEFAN wrote:       (Click here for original message)

SD40-2 ? Wow, big power for a short line. It's a good thing though to put the RS3u on lighter duty.

Agreed. Before the Myles family built the transload facility, a typical train length for WCOR was 3-5 freight cars. Now it's 20-30 hoppers, which are full of sand on the inbound trips. And while the outbound trips are empties, there is a 1+% grade on the Hammond Lake bypass. You are right- #506 can't handle those big loads any more. She'll last for a long time on excursions and light freight duty.  

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »