Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 24th, 2017, 6:14am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

D&H Survivors: The Lightning Lives
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Delaware & Hudson
(Moderators: Matthew_L, x600, NKP759fan)
   D&H Survivors: The Lightning Lives
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: D&H Survivors: The Lightning Lives  (Read 3586 times)
dansapo
Historian
View Profile  

Re: D&H Survivors: The Lightning Lives

« Reply #40 on: Jul 11th, 2006, 8:32pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Does the gp39-2 count? Their has to be one in lightning stripes   http://www.morscher.com/rr/1994/19940205_02.jpg
Does the Cuyahoga Valley still have #4088 ? http://www.ginosrailpage.com/DOS/cnyk.html

Dan Sapochetti
Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #41 on: Oct 10th, 2006, 9:21pm »

Yes, the GP39-2s count because they were on the D&H.

Likewise, the C424ms also count. They were of EL origin, but they spent over a decade on the D&H, too. The LAL rosters four of them now, including a pair assigned to the B&H. See them in this photo gallery: http://www.lalrailfan.net/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=21    

« Last Edit: Sep 3rd, 2010, 6:31pm by Matthew_L » Logged

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

moderator- D&H, Erie Lackawanna/Erie and LA&L/B&H/WNYP

P.S. All aboard for the last train to Hammondsport!
towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #42 on: Dec 24th, 2006, 2:14pm »

what is the story of 7312? I see CP using it on christmas trains, and it looks to be in great shape. Is it used in everyday frieght? Or is a deal CP works with a collector etc? And if it is on CP roster are they keeping it in DH color for a reason

Railfan Safely, And always respect private property.
ANDY117
TRAINing

« Reply #43 on: Dec 26th, 2006, 6:47pm »

The 7303, 7304, and 7312 are all used in regular service. I was over in East Binghamton a few weeks back, and got to see the 7304 get its 90 day inspection. Pretty neat.

I know the 7312 is a heritage unit, so it will retain it's D&H colors. And I think the 03 and 04 haven't been painted because they haven't needed it. And I think the D&H guys like their history. Hence the D&H gondola used to haul wheelsets, the D&H boxcar used for storage, the D&H caboose that was used on the D-21 (currently OOS due to it's need of a new bolster) and the 2 D&H sand cars that are at the East Binghamton shops (permanent, they can't be interchaged, as they're over 50 years old, they just get truckloads of sand pumped into them, which is then transferred to the sand towers).

Boho hath spoken.
NKP759fan
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #44 on: Dec 27th, 2006, 12:01pm »

Hmm, thats pretty neat that there are still some old D&H sand cars out there. The 7312 is the named "Bernie O Brien" after Bernie who is an enginner at Steamtown, and one heck of an engineer. Bernie used to be a road foreman on the D&H and I have talked to him alot about the D&H. He was a fireman on the Challengers a few times.

Nickel Plate Road "Berkshire" #759
Built: August 1944
Builder: Lima Locomotives Works
Driver diameter: 69 inches
Boiler Pressure: 245
Coal: 22 tons
Water: 22,000 gallons
Retired: 1958
Used on the famous High Iron Excursions
http://www.cr.nps.gov/history/online_books/steamtown/shs2o.htm
Tom_PA1
TRAINing

« Reply #45 on: Jan 9th, 2007, 1:43pm »

Hi Guys: I'm new to this activity but have been a train fan for as long as I can remember. As a kid my playground was PRSL's Pavonia Yard in Camden NJ.  

Now that I'm retired my love of trains has turned into an 11 X 14 ft layout that features Northeast coal hauling railroads. The D&H is my #1 favorite.  

One of my goals is to see a D&H engine in her original colors and hopefully have a ride behind her. I had that chance last Oct out in Western Pa on the Tiogra Central. Little did I know that the RS-3u #506 was one of D&H's Bi-Cent Engines. I was wearing my D&H baseball cap & was talking with the crew but no one told me of the history of the engine.  

Now I have several pics of the engine & as soon as I can figure out how to attach them to this msg I'll send them out.

Looking forward to talking to you guys.

Tom_M
Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #46 on: Jan 9th, 2007, 8:21pm »

Welcome, Tom! I've seen #506 myself and not only is she a D&H survivor but she is part of an even rarer group- bicentennial engines. I look forward to your photos.  

« Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2007, 9:35pm by Matthew_L » Logged

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #47 on: Aug 27th, 2007, 8:16pm »

on Oct 10th, 2006, 9:21pm, Matthew_Langworthy wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Likewise, the C424ms also count. They were of EL origin, but they spent over decade on the D&H, too.  The LAL rosters four of them now, including a pair assigned to the B&H. See them in this photo gallery: http://www.lalrailfan.net/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=21    

Here is a more recent shot of B&H/LAL C424m #423, which was D&H #454 for a time:  

B&H/LA&L #423 > GTI #453 > MEC #454 > D&H #454 (rebuilt in 1980) > CR #2481 > built as EL #2407 (in 1963)  

Photo taken by me in Cohocton, NY, on Thursday, August 23rd.    

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

scottychaos
Historian

« Reply #48 on: Aug 28th, 2007, 7:12am »

Here is a pic of 506:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=151614&nseq=3

as far as I know, 506 is the ONLY bicentennial loco, painted in 1976, that is still wearing its original bicentennial scheme! never been repainted.

Scot

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #49 on: Aug 28th, 2007, 9:41pm »

on Jan 9th, 2007, 1:43pm, Tom_PA1 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
One of my goals is to see a D&H engine in her original colors and hopefully have a ride behind her.

Have you been to the Upper Hudson RR? The UHRR is unusual because not only does it have a rare D&H RS-36 in lightning stripes, but the engine operates on home rails because it is a former D&H branchline! Here she is three months ago:

Photo taken by me May 26th, 2007, in North Creek, NY.  

« Last Edit: Sep 3rd, 2010, 6:36pm by Matthew_L » Logged

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

WVTransplant

View Profile  

« Reply #50 on: Dec 22nd, 2007, 9:25pm »

Time to revive this thread.

I caught the D&H local on the CP Sunbury sub this morning.  As it should be, the 7304 lead a consist of two GP-9s and another 38-2.  The second 9 and 38-2 were picked up in Buttonwood.  From listening to my scanner last night, the crew of the trailing pair were called to crew a train in Allentown.  So, they tied down their train in the scrap yard siding in Buttonwood and caught a taxi to Allentown (bear with me--this is what I am fairly sure they said, but I was also halfway to sleep).  This morning, the freight stayed, but the morning D&H local power took last night's power north to Taylor with their own train.

« Last Edit: Aug 21st, 2010, 2:15pm by WVTransplant » Logged
Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #51 on: Dec 23rd, 2007, 8:56pm »

Nice shots, Adam! While we're at it, I caught #506 on the Tioga Central three months ago. Although she was not used that day, TC's crew planned to use her the following day.

Picture taken by me on 9/15/2007 at Wellsboro Jct, PA.

« Last Edit: Dec 23rd, 2007, 8:57pm by Matthew_L » Logged

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

NKP759fan
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #52 on: Dec 23rd, 2007, 9:01pm »

Thanks for the pictures Adam. It is good to see a D&H engine leading a pack. Anyone have a location on these units as of a few days. Matthew, the 506 has an original Bi-Centenial paint scheme? If it does it certainly shows the quality and durability of paints back 30 or so years ago.

« Last Edit: Dec 23rd, 2007, 9:03pm by NKP759fan » Logged

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #53 on: Dec 27th, 2007, 7:05pm »

Another ex-D&H RS-3, #4068, makes an appearance on page 8 of the January issue of Railpace. It is shown in Scranton. The elderly Alco has been acquired from a Canadian RR by the Delaware-Lackawanna, which will restore it to a black/yellow livery inspired by the D&H. More importantly, D-L will put her in freight service.

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #54 on: Dec 27th, 2007, 7:11pm »

on Dec 23rd, 2007, 9:01pm, NKP759fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Matthew, the 506 has an original Bi-Centenial paint scheme? If it does it certainly shows the quality and durability of paints back 30 or so years ago.

Yes, the paint is mostly original... dating back to the unit's conversion to RS-3u in 1975. There were a touch-ups when the loco was sold to the Tioga Central. BTW, a TC employee told me back in September of plans to give #506 a new coat of Bicentennial paint before next year's excursion season, but I'm assuming those plans are on hold due to TC's uncertain future.  

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #55 on: Aug 4th, 2008, 8:12pm »

Bad news: former D&H S2 #3003 has been scrapped by New Castle Industrial, the unit's final owner.

Good news: ex-D&H #506 (see previous posts) has been retained by the new owners of the Tioga Central. She now handles freight, as well as passenger excursions.

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #56 on: Aug 30th, 2008, 10:00am »

LAL C424m #424 is a D&H survivor assigned to the WNYP. Here she is the trailing unit on the daily WNYP turn between Olean and the NS yard in Hornell, NY. This engine was part of the C424 fleet that D&H purchased from Conrail around 1980. Interestingly enough, she was overhauled in the former Erie/EL shops not far from this location:

Photo taken by me Saturday 8/23/2008. The locomotive's heritage is LAL (WNYP)#424 > GTI#450 > D&H#450 > CR #2475 > EL #2401.  She was the first C424 ever built.

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

dandh7607
TRAINing

« Reply #57 on: Dec 5th, 2008, 4:37am »

The 7303, 7304, and 7312 are the only surviving GP38-2 engines in D&H livery that are in revenue service. There never was a 7302.  

IF and when CP refurbs the 7303 and 7304, they will most likely come back in CP paint.  

The 5019 is on the Upper Hudson River Railroad in North Creek, NY and the 5017 is on the Delaware and Ulster Railroad in Arkville, NY

The 7404 is a GP39-2 and is owned now by CSX Transportation and assigned to duties in Florida.

The Delaware Lackawanna Railroad now has three former D&H RS3's all painted in original D&H paint (black w/ gold stripes and lettering). Interesting side note for anyone who didn't already know...the DL operates on the former D&H Penn Division mainline between Carbondale and Scranton.

If CP is going to begin phasing out the EMD's, they should plan on painting one of the GE AC units in D&H to replace the 7312 as the heritage unit.

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #58 on: Mar 28th, 2009, 4:20pm »

The Battenkill Railroad's #4116 is pictured in the April issue of Railpace on page 43. The RS-3 was originally built for the D&H in 1952.

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

NKP759fan
Historian
View Profile  

new_403_4118.jpg - 45545 Bytes
« Reply #59 on: Aug 13th, 2009, 1:36pm »

I don't remember if I posted these pics already but I will anyways. These were taken back in 2007 I believe, they were sitting at the DL South Side Shops.  Both are currently in revenue service by the shortline DL.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/DH/new_403_4118.jpg
Click Image to Resize