Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Mar 30th, 2017, 10:40am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

CSX GTL (Guess The Location) Game, 2016
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   North American Railroads
   CSX Discussion
(Moderators: BC_and_A_railway, XNJon, csxt602)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: CSX GTL (Guess The Location) Game, 2016  (Read 125 times)
Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

Untitled-2.jpg - 160719 Bytes
« on: May 3rd, 2016, 8:59am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Greetings, CSX fans!

I'm not sure if any of you are familiar with the "Guess The Location" game that we old farts like to play over in about a two dozen or so forums over in the Fallen Flags section of this site, but if you do, that's great (because it's a lot of fun), but if you're not, please allow me to quickly explain............The idea is to post a photo (usually craftily cropped to eliminate an easy guess) and usually with some clues to the history of the location or railroad, and then everybody guesses away till somebody gets it. The only other rule is to post one photo at a time, and no new photos until the previous one is guessed correctly, so as not to clutter up the thread with too many "GTL's" going on at one time. So, does this sound like fun, or what?

So I'd like to begin with this one.......

This Midwest location was once home to FOUR Union Generals, and can be reached by taking the Cardinal, and was once the crossroads of a NS predecessor and this CSX predecessor shown here. If you're a reader or movie fan, you might be interested in knowing that this is also the "birthplace" of Ben Hur, too.

So, put on your thinking caps, and get ready to G-T-L!

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/CSX/Untitled-2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: May 3rd, 2016, 9:00am by Flemington Flyer » Logged

One down, one to go.......
HwyHaulier
Historian
Re: CSX GTL (Guess The Location) Game, 2016

« Reply #1 on: May 3rd, 2016, 11:24am »

T. L. - Lodge Members -

SIGH! Some of your mystery Photos are perverse, to say the least. Should your writer take a shot at a guess?

Photo on heritage B & O line to and from St. Louis. Your writer not clear whether the stretch of rail had "CPL" or older  
"Semaphore" signals. The signal marker does suggest this at a B & O point in Indiana. (C & O shud have displayed  
"Searchlight" signals?)

Or, should one determine the 476 Miles from Pittsburgh point, that's the answer...

............................Vern.........................

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: May 3rd, 2016, 11:48am »

Ah, Vern, welcome!

I'm glad to see one of the "Old Heads", as I so eloquently put it, "Old Farts" here to play, LOL!

Alas, not a B&O location. This is on a railroad known for it's nickname than it's proper name, and was merged at least twice over by the time CSX came along. The location of the photo also is home to a college that shares a name with a NS predecessor.

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #3 on: May 4th, 2016, 12:36pm »

T. L. - Lodge Members -

Comes now your latest clue. Intuitively, seemingly suggests a "MONON RR" point? The Line long known, legally, as  
Chicago, Indianapolis & Louisville RR. "MONON ROUTE" label came later.

If so, then the "476" on the signal post doesn't help much. Besides, your writer hardly steeped in History Of Indiana.  
That being so: How many Class 1 Railroads were there with track for St. Louis - Central States routings? Just who  
the Carriers which actually were on various Main Lines, subject trackage rights with actual operator?

.........................Vern......................

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: May 4th, 2016, 12:51pm »

Hmm, understood......You ARE correct however, in guessing the railroad is the Monon!  

However, you ARE, in my not so humble estimation, not looking at two the biggest clues (one of which that will lead to another) that I provided.....

Notice I said the location in question contains a college named after a NS predecessor.....As far as I know, there are no schools named Southern, Nickel Plate, W&LE, AC&Y, P&WV, VGN, and so on (continue the list, or notice at least what I'm omitting), at least not in Monon territory that is.....Also, the "birthplace" of Ben Hur....Yes, we know that Ben Hur is a literary character, and set in the Judea, but SOMEBODY had to write the story, right?

QUICK! Before somebody else figures it out, LOL!

But if none of these clues help ring a bell for you, then I'll just have to reveal the answer then, won't I?

« Last Edit: May 4th, 2016, 1:19pm by Flemington Flyer » Logged

DubyaM
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #5 on: May 6th, 2016, 2:58pm »

Lafayette, Indiana.

Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #6 on: May 6th, 2016, 3:37pm »

Hey DubyaM, glad to have you join us for a GTL!

However, it is NOT Lafayette, but you are not far away at all!

I may have misspoke by saying there was a crossing here between NS and CSX predecessor roads, and while there WAS one, it was not the spot I was talking about.......I was thinking Linden, IN, where the mainlines of both RR's crossed.....BUT, just to make matters even more complicated, the answer isn't Linden, LOL!.......This town is much bigger than Linden.......

DubyaM
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #7 on: May 6th, 2016, 8:13pm »

Okay, Crawfordsville.

Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

AmesTower1948.jpg - 39137 Bytes
« Reply #8 on: May 9th, 2016, 9:26am »

You are correct, sir!

This is Crawfordsville IN on the old Monon, circa 2009 taken by Michel C. Kelly (http://michaelckelly.net/)

Attached is a 1948 view of Ames Jct, which was just outside of Crawfordsville, is where the CI&L, NYC and PRR all crossed. This photo comes courtesy of http://monon.org/history.php

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/CSX/AmesTower1948.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »