Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Dec 15th, 2017, 3:18pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Baltimore CSX network question
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   North American Railroads
   CSX Discussion
(Moderators: BC_and_A_railway, XNJon, csxt602)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Baltimore CSX network question  (Read 147 times)
carlob
TRAINing
View Profile  

« on: May 10th, 2014, 9:47pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I live in Ruxton and frequently hear locomotives in the distance but cannot figure out where the rail line is. I've searched CSX websites and googled for maps and can't find anything.
Now that we learn of a huge sinkhole on 26th street off of Charles St. interrupting CSX freight, I am now more perplexed.
Can anyone tell me where CSX at the sinkhole leaves baltimore city and or provide a map.

I am most curious.
Thank you,
Carl

CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Baltimore CSX network question

« Reply #1 on: May 10th, 2014, 10:03pm »

Try this link for the land slide Carl:

http://goo.gl/maps/zGNYj

In Ruxton, MD there are tracks along side Bellona Ave.
Hope this helps & welcome to The Forums.
CHESSIEMIKE

« Last Edit: May 10th, 2014, 10:12pm by CHESSIEMIKE » Logged

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
wm1111
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: May 10th, 2014, 10:26pm »

Carl;

I'd suggest that you put your address in Ruxton into Google Maps or just type in "Ruxton."  If the rails don't appear on the map, click on the "-" until they appear and then scroll back towards downtown.  BTW, the belt line ends at the "y" to the east of Ruxton.

wm

carlob
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #3 on: May 11th, 2014, 8:57am »

Hi, thanks for the responses.
Of course I am familiar with the light rail line which runs along Bellona road. but that is for lightrail commuter, not freight.
So, the mystery continues. Perhaps, it is a line from more than several miles away with sound amplified through a topographic "funnel" of sorts.

wm1111
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: May 11th, 2014, 8:47pm »

Carl;

I get your point.  My son used to live just off Charles south of Northern.  When visiting him I would occasionally hear a horn which sounded like it was coming from the south and east.  I assumed then and still do now that the sound was coming from over by Pulaski Hwy -- NS; CSX; and/or AMTRAC

I live a few miles from an active CSX main and at night if the wind is right, one might think that the trains are right next door when, if fact, they are miles away.  The horns are loud and they carry on the wind quite well.

Less likely may be CSX action south of the Howard Street tunnel.

wm

Inlet-Longport
Railfan

« Reply #5 on: May 12th, 2014, 9:20am »

Ruxton was a passenger stop on the Parkton local commuter service on the PRR.  There was a station at Ruxton but it was demolished and apartments built on its site a few years after the Parkton local was discontinued in June, 1959.
The Lutherville station and the Riderwood stations are still extant.  They are private residences, IIRC.  The Cockeysville freight station, sadly neglected, is still extant.  Through passenger service BAL-HAR continued on this route until the line was flooded out by a hurricane in 1972.

Freight service continued on the former Northern Central from Baltimore to Hunt Valley for many years under the aegis of CR and later NS.  When we moved to Timonium in 2003 I sometimes heard the diesel horns of freight trains in the early hours of the morning, usually around 02:00 hrs.  

When the MTA double tracked the North Central Light Rail Line, NS applied for, and was granted, permission to abandon all freight service on the Hunt Valley route.  I think that must have been around 2005.  There is no freight service BAL to Hunt Valley any more and some of the connections to freight sidings have been taken out.

The MTA electric cars continually blow their horns at the many grade crossings along the line so this may be what your correspondents are hearing.  I can hear the horns from the Timonium Road crossing very clearly.

At Texas, MD there is a large quarry which has excavating machinery which sounds very much like the drone of diesel locomotives.

« Last Edit: May 12th, 2014, 9:43am by Inlet-Longport » Logged
Inlet-Longport
Railfan

« Reply #6 on: May 12th, 2014, 11:00am »

I checked out a map showing the CSX operation of former WMRY routes and it does seem possible that, under the right conditions, sounds from the CSX could be heard in Ruxton.  The CSX line travels northwest through Pikesville, Owings Mills, and Glyndon on an uphill grade.  There is also an interchange with the Maryland Midland at Emory Grove.

I recall that, when I was growing up, sounds of the B&O line would reach our home when the weather was right even though we lived three or four miles from the B&O.  At other times, no railroad sounds could be heard.  It usually depends on the weather.

carlob
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #7 on: May 12th, 2014, 11:37am »

I think you are right. That must be the line! It didn't occur to me that inside the beltway, that line to Glyndon and points north is actually pretty close, maybe 5 miles tops.
thanks for the responses. I look forward to contributing something worthwhile in the future.

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »