Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. May 23rd, 2017, 8:28pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Tampa 14th Street Automatic Interlocking between CSX and TECO Streetcar Line
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   North American Railroads
   CSX Discussion
(Moderators: BC_and_A_railway, XNJon, csxt602)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Tampa 14th Street Automatic Interlocking between CSX and TECO Streetcar Line  (Read 203 times)
samcevoy
TRAINing

« on: Dec 27th, 2012, 11:02am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I am performing a study for the FTA and have been unable to obtain some basic info from the CSX about the 14th Street Interlocking where the CSX crosses the TECO Streetcar Line in Tampa's Ybor City.

Is this an automatic interlocking or is it manually controlable by a Train Dispatcher?

What is the proper name of the CSX line?

What are the MAS speeds within the interlocking on the CSX line for passenger trains and for freight trains?

Does the CSX line have any form of cab signaling or train control at this time?

I would appreciate answers to any of these questions if you are knowledgeble about the facts. A pdf of the pertinent CSX employee-timetable pages would be appreciated.

If you want to talk, my daytime business number is 610-358-4396.

Thanks.

Steve McEvoy
SYSTRA Consulting, Inc.

HwyHaulier
Historian
Re: Tampa 14th Street Automatic Interlocking between CSX and TECO Streetcar Line

« Reply #1 on: Dec 28th, 2012, 10:11am »

Steve -

Good to have you on board!  

Here's what you may want to do? Locate and see current day C S X website. Make some phone calls, and arrange "listening tour" interviews  
with representatives of the firm, probably Jacksonville, FL based. First contact likely with "Information Officer" or "Government Affairs Manager".

C S X has, by now, much exposure to all of these issues and concerns. You do present what perceived as a pressing issue, but similar  
circumstances have otherwise happened in its system.

CAVEAT: FOLLOWING IS ALL MINE. I AM NOT CONNECTED IN ANY WAY WITH C S X, NOR HAVE I PLAYED SUCH A CHARACTER  
ON TV, MOVIES AND OTHER "POP" MEDIA. I DO NOT SPEAK FOR IT!

Keep us all posted on how you make out on any discussion about CAB SIGNALS. (There is history here with experience of operations of  
former B & O routes in Washington, DC area.)

........................Vern............ (Old Coot And Iconoclast)...........

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
George_Harris
Historian
Re: Tampa 14th Street Automatic Interlocking between CSX and TECO Streetcar Line

« Reply #2 on: Dec 28th, 2012, 12:18pm »

So far as I know CSX had neither Cab Signals or any form of ATC/ATS on any of their lines into Tampa.  If this is not the main, and I have not looked at a map to see what line this in on, it may not have any form of signals at all.  

Have you contacted the city and county with these questions.  The state of Florida should also have some sort of regulatory agency.  Since this contract is with or partially funded by the FTA, you should also be able to get information from the relevant federal agencies.  Suggest starting with the FRA with the relevant questions.  

CSX has a web site.  Also, simply pick up the phone and call whatever number you can find for them and follow the trail of breadcrumbs from there.  You may be able to find answers to your specific questions there.  There are so many studies that go nowhere that the railroad companies generally do not do much in the way of effort in responding to these things.

Do a web search with the subject of CSX employee timetable and you may be able to come up with a fairly recent issue, even though you are unlikely to get a current one.  The railroad companies have become rather sensitive about public access to these things, and anything not directly under their own control they tend to regard as public.

samcevoy
TRAINing

« Reply #3 on: Dec 28th, 2012, 1:02pm »

Thanks for both replies.

I have the name and contact info for the CSX Division Superintendent. He has not responded to phones calls or e-mails.

On another forum, I was told that the line is Tampa Terminal Subdivision and I have been able to independently verify this.

This person told me that the posted speed sign approaching the crossing is 25. This makes sense to me having looked at the alignment geometrics in the area. He also mentioned several other facts that I knew to be correct so I am going with the 25 and do not expect to be proven wrong.  

I will try to find the pertinent CSX Tampa Division timetable on the Internet.

Steve

George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #4 on: Dec 28th, 2012, 1:59pm »

Have you visited the site?  Have you done an observation of train counts?  Have you checked with whatever the part of Florida DOT is that concerns itself with railroads?  If not, start with these.

samcevoy
TRAINing

« Reply #5 on: Dec 28th, 2012, 2:29pm »

My questions listed the only two pertinent items that were needing answers - name of line which I now have and the CSX MAS speed.

I have had much contact with the TECO-Streetcar management and made observations on the ground. The CSX has not responded.

Train counts, while important for many studies and projects, it not germane to this study.

Since I have already have confirmed the CSX line name, and since I believe that the 25-mph CSX speed is correct, I have all of the needed info.

However, I sure would like a copy of the pertinent CSX employee timetale page showing the 25-mph speed - if someone on here can send it to me.

Steve

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #6 on: Dec 28th, 2012, 3:42pm »

Steve,

We have, right here on railfan.net, a poster who works for the city of Tamp in their street signal dept. Needless to say, he has to work with CSX also. Just happens he is a personal close friend of mine and a live steamer. I'm fairly sure he could give you some good information.

You just might want to PM 'moosethecaboose'. I know him a really long time, and he is real easy to talk to.

Bruce (ErieAtlantic7597)

« Last Edit: Dec 28th, 2012, 3:44pm by ErieAtlantic7597 » Logged
troy12n
TRAINing

« Reply #7 on: Nov 17th, 2013, 12:10am »

You may have figured this out by now, but I have the info you need. I live in the area and literally can see the interlocking from my office in Downtown Tampa.

"Is this an automatic interlocking or is it manually controlable by a Train Dispatcher?"

It's an automatic interlocking. There is an approach circuit on the CSX mainline which when a train is approaching will give a stop indication for the Trolley line, and a Clear indication for CSX.

"What is the proper name of the CSX line?"

It's the Tampa Terminal Subdivision. It is the former ACL Jacksonville to Tampa Mainline milepost A881.6. Tampa Terminal Sub encompasses the former ACL mainline from South Mango to end of track, the former SAL mainline from South Tampa to end of track, the former SAL St. Petersburg mainline from Gary to TN Tower, the former SAL Sarasota Mainline from "TS" to East Tampa

"What are the MAS speeds within the interlocking on the CSX line for passenger trains and for freight trains?"

25mph for all trains

"Does the CSX line have any form of cab signaling or train control at this time?"

LoL, hell no... the line is actually dark territory West (Railroad South) of TN Tower. Historically this was ABS signalled from the passenger station to TN tower, but all that was removed in the 80's and it went to Absolute Block authority and then to EC-1 authority (track warrants) when CSX made the move from absolute blocks to track warrants circa 2008 or whenever they did that.

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »