Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jul 20th, 2017, 12:29pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Moving to Orlando
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   North American Railroads
   CSX Discussion
(Moderators: BC_and_A_railway, XNJon, csxt602)
   Moving to Orlando
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Moving to Orlando  (Read 186 times)
Ranaldo20
Railfan
Moving to Orlando

« on: May 24th, 2010, 11:51am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I just got a new job in the Orlando area, and am moving there in a week.  This is the first place I thought of for some railfan info!  I know CSX is the main thing in these parts.  Also, I am getting an apartment that is just 2 blocks from the tracks in Winter Park!  I have heard that is a great railfan location.  I am also aware of the Auto Train in Sanford, but aside from that I don't know much about trains in the area.  Please enlighten me, because I see many weekends spent trackside in my new locale!
I am also interested in things that are an hour or two outside of town, ie Jacksonville operations, Tampa ops / phosphate trains.

CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Moving to Orlando

« Reply #1 on: May 24th, 2010, 10:17pm »

I don't know anything about the area you are moving to, so I expect you to rectify that situation.   Congrats on the new job. I hope it is everything and more than you were looking for.
CHESSIEMIKE

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
765 fan
Historian

« Reply #2 on: May 24th, 2010, 10:55pm »

May I lead you to follow this link?

http://www.youtube.com/user/distantsignal?blend=1&ob=4

This is Danny Harmon's Youtube page. He is a Florida railfan, and most likey knows CSX in Florida like the back of his hand. Shoot him a PM, I'm sure he could help you.

Head manager of the Chicagoland Railroad.

Pay attention to life, it will surprise you.

When life gives you lemons, make orange juice and make everyone wonder how the hell did you do that!?!
Ranaldo20
Railfan

« Reply #3 on: May 25th, 2010, 1:27am »

Awesome.  Thanks.  Thanks also for the well wishes!!!

infinitejustice54
TRAINing

« Reply #4 on: Apr 6th, 2014, 10:37am »

Yeah... Danny Harmon is the go-to guy when it comes to Florida Railfanning. Especially when it comes to all the lines that run through CSX's Bone Valley, which is the center of phosphate operations in Central Florida.  

Although if you're looking for mainline action, you're in luck! CSX's "A" line runs right through Orlando, which carries all types of consists on it. Amtraks, intermodals,  unit coal, mixed freight, etc. Orlando isn't really part of my stomping grounds so you would have to look around for a good viewing location.  

But I do know of one good location. There are a few parking garages near the HUGE Florida Hospital Orlando campus that have pedestrian walkways directly over the tracks, or at least an elevated view from the side. Getting a few shots for a small parking fee seems worth it to me.

Also another plus for you is that the "A" line is mostly ATCS territory, so if you have ATCS Monitor you can see when the trains are coming. Just find the CSX Bone Valley package and the CSX Sanford Sub packages to get started with it. If you don't have ATCS Monitor, you can apply for access to the program at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ATCS_Monitor/info

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »