Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 19th, 2017, 8:58am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

CSAO GTL (Guess The Location) Game, 2016 Edition
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   North American Railroads
   Conrail Shared Assets
(Moderator: NJ Railfan)
« No topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: CSAO GTL (Guess The Location) Game, 2016 Edition  (Read 101 times)
Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

CASO.jpg - 94875 Bytes
« on: May 3rd, 2016, 10:50am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Greetings, CSAO and Conrail fans!  

I'm not sure how many, if any of you are familiar with the "Guess The Location" game that we old farts like to play over in about a two dozen or so forums over in the Fallen Flags section of this site (as well as now the CSX, NS and hopefully a few more soon), so if you do, that's great (because it's a lot of fun), but if you're not, please allow me to quickly explain............  

The idea is to post a photo (usually craftily cropped to eliminate an easy guess) and usually with some clues to the history of the location or railroad, and then everybody guesses away till somebody gets it. The only other rule is to post one photo at a time, and no new photos until the previous one is guessed correctly, so as not to clutter up the thread with too many "GTL's" going on at one time. So, does this sound like fun, or what?  

I see there is already a thread titled "guess where" here, but since the last post was 2013 and not really in the "GTL format", I thought it'd be OK to start a new thread. Hopefully, the Moderators agree......

So I'd like to begin with this easy one.......  

Once a location where a Conrail predecessor dumped coal up until 1985, and is also a junction where two CR predecessors crossed. The line these engines were photographed on recently underwent a more "friendly" name changing since the NS/CSX takeover as well. As you can see, heavy petroleum traffic goes thru here. You might even see a "special" engine pass thru here on a daily basis if you time it right.

So, put on your thinking caps, and get ready to G-T-L!  

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/CRSharedAssets/CASO.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: May 3rd, 2016, 10:51am by Flemington Flyer » Logged

One down, one to go.......
HwyHaulier
Historian
Re: CSAO GTL (Guess The Location) Game, 2016 Edition

« Reply #1 on: May 3rd, 2016, 11:08am »

T. L. - Lodge Members -  

WHOA! Many understand meaning of "CASO". Your writer doesn't care to try to figure where this could possibly be,  
save for a guess about a legacy WABASH routing. "No Card" on this one...

.........................Vern.............................

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: May 3rd, 2016, 11:56am »

Well, not sure what CASO is -  
http://www.acronymfinder.com/CASO.html

But in this case, it's CSAO - Conrail Shared Assets Operations, - and not any of these - http://www.acronymfinder.com/CSAO.html

So, I see you need an extra set of clues, and I am happy to oblige.

This location was once a maritime location for this Conrail predecessor, and shared in it's name as well. A (large) vestige of said operation still remains, EVN after the devastating Superstorm Sandy weather events (a testament to it's construction?). Passenger service was also available to here on the crossing line, for those traveling to the beaches, up until the 1967.

Oh, and both railroads REALLY liked the color green............

« Last Edit: May 3rd, 2016, 12:12pm by Flemington Flyer » Logged

Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #3 on: May 10th, 2016, 1:36pm »

Wow, I sure thought everyone would "coast" right through this one and make quick work of it......I guess the ethanol fumes made everybody forget to play!

randy
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: Nov 16th, 2016, 1:56pm »

Since no one has stated it, Port Reading Junction on the CNJ, a hundred or so yards east of the diamond with the ex-Reading line.

Why do we drive on parkways and park in driveways?
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« No topic | Next topic »