Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jan 16th, 2018, 4:38pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

CP Rail and VIA (early days)
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   North American Railroads
   CP Discussion
(Moderators: Pyronova, kjohn, KootenayValleyRailway)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: CP Rail and VIA (early days)  (Read 111 times)
penn_senseless
Historian
View Profile  

« on: Jul 28th, 2014, 3:39pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

This is in regards to a potential modelling project. Im pretty sure some of you savvy CP guys will know the answers to this.

During the early start up of VIA rail, im going to assume that CP Rail contributed locomotives to the pool of power.

Ive seen on kjohn's thread "old hands at work" a picture of a via blue rs-18(?) unit lashed with some CP Rail action rail units on what I assume was the VIA Canadian at that time.

So, were these CP rail units employed by VIA only on CP Rail's  Western Canada routes, or would lash ups like that be seen system wide, say for instance in the east on a VIA tempo between Windsor and Toronto? (remember this would have to be mid to late 1970s to 1980)

Thanks for any replies
Cheers

kjohn
Historian
Re: CP Rail and VIA (early days)

« Reply #1 on: Nov 5th, 2014, 7:38pm »

Not sure about down east, but in my area, eastern Saskatchewan, VIA used the power that CP had dumped on them.  FP7, FP9, F7B, F9B, old Alco's, E8's, old Geeps (torpedo).  Once in a while, an SD40 or SD40-2 would be in the lead, borrowed power.

Towards the end of the Canadian running on the CP main, VIA ran the wheels off the E8's.  Only late before they were retired, were they equipped to run trailing nose forward.  I only ever saw one in the lead once.  The rest of the time the E's were trailing facing back at the end of the power line.

The E's were beautiful big engines, nicely repainted inside and out.  I was in the engine compartments on both, and was fortunate to have ridden behind both.

I never saw any MLW/ALCO cab units or B units out here, only RS models.  I even saw a couple of old pelters still in red and grey.  I was up in the cab of one of them.

Those were the glory days for train watching on the CP main.  You never knew what was going to be power, especially when it was really cold.

1st generation EMD preferred!!
kjohn
Historian
Re: CP Rail and VIA (early days)

« Reply #2 on: Jan 1st, 2015, 12:08am »

Penn_senseless:  See my "Old hands at work" for old VIA power.

http://forums.railfan.net/forums.cgi?board=CP;action=display;num=1138729083

« Last Edit: Jan 1st, 2015, 12:11am by kjohn » Logged

1st generation EMD preferred!!
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »