Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jan 16th, 2018, 4:31pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Wyoming coal trains up the C&E
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   North American Railroads
   CP Discussion
(Moderators: Pyronova, kjohn, KootenayValleyRailway)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Wyoming coal trains up the C&E  (Read 139 times)
Piglet
Historian

« on: Jul 6th, 2011, 3:17pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I don't know how many of you have seen these trains.  Usually they seem to be running with a 2/1 locomotive arrangement with about a mile of BN rotary gons in between.  I have heard they are running them up to Edmonton then west on CN to Prince Rupert's coal terminal.  Its very interesting to see something different coming up the line to Edmonton besides tanks, stacks and bulkheads.  Just trying to figure out how many trains a week or how many sets of cars there are on this run?

we learn from the past
Piglet
Historian
Re: Wyoming coal trains up the C&E

« Reply #1 on: Aug 5th, 2011, 11:25pm »

I  am still seeing these trains coming and going on the C&E.  I just find it interesting that they are routed these up this line and out to Prince Rupert.  Im certainly not against the extra business but its just an interesting way of dealing with things.  I guess its because PR is at least one days sailing closer to the Orient then even Robert's Bank is.

we learn from the past
Pyronova

View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: Aug 10th, 2011, 10:38am »

There could be a couple of reasons....  The BNSF line(s) to Seattle could be busy and the north through Alberta/ west through BC could be operationally faster than west to Spokane/Tri-Cities to Portland/Everett then north to Roberts Bank ?
This route is the lowest mountain pass across the Rockies in all North America; maybe that fuel cost is factored in as well?  

Moderator of: Mainline - Rail Safety; Regional Areas - British Columbia & Vancouver Island; Fallen Flags - The Milwaukee Road; & Model Railroading - N-Scale .

Piglet
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Aug 12th, 2011, 12:36am »

From what I hear the coal is shipping out of Ridley island in Prince Rupert.  Taking the coal north then west is about the most direct way to PR.  Rupert is over a days sail farther west then Point Roberts is and cuts the shipping time once its on the water.  Its enough of a benifit that they are striking a commitee in Washington to explore if its an unfair advantage to Canada.  Its not our fault that our country sticks out farther lol.  Actually they are looking to see if its getting subsities from the federal government, which it isn't.

we learn from the past
Dayliner
Historian
View Profile  

20110811-02_770x578.jpg - 81685 Bytes
« Reply #4 on: Aug 24th, 2011, 5:56pm »

Was in Jasper Aug 11 and saw this train of BNSF coal pass through town--presumably on its way to Rupert (hope it's OK to post a CN pic on the CP board--seems germane to the discussion).  The first of these trains I saw was westbound in Terrace on Apr 29.  The C&E routing north is interesting.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/CP/20110811-02_770x578.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Life without trains? Inconceivable!
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »