Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jan 16th, 2018, 4:43pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Sooline/passenger cars?
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   North American Railroads
   CP Discussion
(Moderators: Pyronova, kjohn, KootenayValleyRailway)
   Sooline/passenger cars?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Sooline/passenger cars?  (Read 127 times)
grobrailman
Chaser
View Profile  

Sooline/passenger cars?

« on: Oct 18th, 2010, 9:40am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I realize that C.P. Rail own and operate the SOO LINE.  Is it only a freight line?  Did C.P. ever operate/run passenger cars on the SOO ?  If so does anyone have any pictures?  Thanks.  Any info is appreciated.

Piglet
Historian
Re: Sooline/passenger cars?

« Reply #1 on: Oct 22nd, 2010, 2:09am »

If memory serves, a joint Soo/CP passenger train ran from Minneapolis to Spokane via the North Portal crossing.  After crossing there it headed west through the Crowsnest Pass then down to Spokane via the Spokane International.   The train was called The Mountaineer.

we learn from the past
grobrailman
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: Oct 22nd, 2010, 8:48am »

Thanks for the information.  Interesting !  Sounds like that would have been a nice trip.  I wonder if any of the passenger cars are still around and if they had a business car.  I always wonder !

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Oct 22nd, 2010, 10:43am »

I clearly recall SOO LINE with passenger service in and out of Chicago (when I lived there ages back).  
The cars favored the same deep red used on C P equipment. Stands to reason there may have been  
through Pullman cars between Chicago and direct C P points...

IIRC, SOO not burdened with short haul, Chicago commute runs. Oh, possibly a schedule or do, more  
of a "PUC Run". Also, the size of the line such that there would have been a need for Office Cars.

The Official Guide publications of years back will provide some support...

.........................Vern........................

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
Norm_Anderson
Historian

« Reply #4 on: Oct 22nd, 2010, 11:41pm »

Hi, All,

Here's some info about Soo Line passenger services from my October 1956 Official Guide  (that's 54 years ago this month...)

The Laker, Trains 17 & 18, overnight between Chicago and the "Twin Ports" of Duluth. MN/Superior, WI.  Advertised equipment included Sleepers, reclining seat Coaches, and a "Diner-Club-Lounge."  A more detailed discussion of this particular service can be seen a little farther down this CP board, on a thread titled "Soo Line - The Laker."

The Winnipeger, Trains 9 & 10, overnight between St. Paul, MN and Winnipeg, MB.  Equipment similar to The Laker's was advertised.  This train crossed into Canada at Emmerson, MB and connected at Winnepeg with The Dominion for points West.  (In 1956, there were no longer any through cars beyond Winnipeg).  About 130 miles out of St. Paul, at the town of Glenwood, MN, part of this train split off and ran through Portal, ND to connect with The Dominion at Moose Jaw, SK.  Sleepers ran as far as Portal, but only coach service was offered between Portal and Moose Jaw.  (I wonder if this train was the remnant of The Mountaineer?)

Nameless Trains 7 & 8 (perhaps, long ago, called The Atlantic Express), made a daily 15-hour trek from the Minneapolis, MN to Sault Ste. Marie, MI, with connections to Montreal and Toronto.  This train carried Coaches and an "8-Section Restaurant Standard Sleeper."

Other nameless passenger trains (most, I am sure, were coach-only, all-stops locals) served these city pairs:

*Chicago, IL - Stevens Point, WI
     *St. Paul, MN - Enderlin, ND
     *Mellen, WI - Ashland, WI  (connection to The Laker)
     *St. Paul, MN - Duluth, MN
     *Duluth, MN - Thief River Falls, MN
     *Thief River Falls, MN - Winnipeg, MB
     *Superior, WI - Glenwood, MN

The Soo Line did not join other railroads in investing in lightweight equipment after the War.  Even up into the '60s, they still had some wooden passenger equipment operating in MoW service!  But though the equipment had been around awhile, by all accounts it was kept immaculately clean and in good repair.

Regards,

Norm

« Last Edit: Oct 22nd, 2010, 11:44pm by Norm_Anderson » Logged
grobrailman
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #5 on: Oct 23rd, 2010, 6:22am »

Thanks Norm for all the great information and Vern as well.  I appreciate all the information that everyone supplies.  I have many found memories of traveling by train.  I enjoy the old heavy weight passenger cars, the only way to travel.
Thanks again.

Gord.

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #6 on: Oct 23rd, 2010, 9:30am »

Norm -  

Many Thanks for time and effort to get the info up from the GUIDE of OCT 1956!

It supports the fact SOO LINE did not have a heavy Chicago presence. Seems to me, I saw the line's trains  
passing through wherever it was it traveled through the Chicago Suburbs. Also, noted its trains boarding at  
the Chicago station it used. The equipment appeared quite meticulously kept. (I'll suppose, where it could,  
the cars had been "customized" to deal with harsh Winters in its service area.)

.......................Vern.................

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »