Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jan 16th, 2018, 4:39pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Various Railways Of The Kootenays Photos
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   North American Railroads
   CP Discussion
(Moderators: Pyronova, kjohn, KootenayValleyRailway)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Various Railways Of The Kootenays Photos  (Read 3978 times)
ENR3005
Historian
View Profile  

Grand_Forks_1.jpg - 84809 Bytes
« on: May 2nd, 2005, 12:53pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Back in late 2000 and Early 2001 I embarked on two road trips to photograph the remaining operations in the Kootenays. Not having more then three days off work on each occassion it was a speedy road trip which did not give me the luxury of standing around and waiting for trains. To make matters worse I had never been to a large portion of the area which proved to be interesting with harsh snow storms through some of the mountain passes and getting stuck behind the constant parade of chip trucks did not help with getting to some areas as fast as I would of liked. Not wanting to let both trips go to waste I elected to photograph what ever rail related facilities remained for future modeling projects or the construction of a possible route in MSTS which was the main reason for my 2001 trip. I did get some shots of various freights and locals during my 2001 trip and will be posted later. I have divided the photos into towns and today we will be starting with Grand Forks which was a interesting little operation to view and must be one of the shortest shortlines in the world. I will be posting ten photos a day as I have to fight for time on my wife's computer to scan and post them.  

Enjoy!

First photo is looking West on the BN main. Empty cars are parked on the west Leg of the wye for interchange.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/CP/Grand_Forks_1.jpg
Click Image to Resize

ENR3005
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Various Railways Of The Kootenays Photos
  Grand_Forks_2.jpg - 95696 Bytes
« Reply #1 on: May 2nd, 2005, 12:56pm »

The GF railway seems to store most of their cars on an old wood chip siding at the mill site. In the distance is the old loading shed where they used to load the lumber into boxcars. It seems to be all hauled out be centerbeams now.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/CP/Grand_Forks_2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

ENR3005
Historian
View Profile  

Grand_Forks_3.jpg - 92322 Bytes
« Reply #2 on: May 2nd, 2005, 12:59pm »

Here is where most of the finished product is loaded these days. I am curious as to how these two green towers would aid in the loading of cars. They almost look like LPG unloading towers.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/CP/Grand_Forks_3.jpg
Click Image to Resize

ENR3005
Historian
View Profile  

Grand_Forks_4.jpg - 101772 Bytes
« Reply #3 on: May 2nd, 2005, 1:02pm »

Looking East down the line and at the overhead pipes that now carry the chips to a truck loader instead of the rail loader. As our friend Homer Simpson would say -  Doh!

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/CP/Grand_Forks_4.jpg
Click Image to Resize

ENR3005
Historian
View Profile  

Grand_Forks_5.jpg - 92578 Bytes
« Reply #4 on: May 2nd, 2005, 1:04pm »

Here is a shot of the loading shed. Not sure when it was last used however the tracks still run into it and the dock looks to be in usable condition.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/CP/Grand_Forks_5.jpg
Click Image to Resize

ENR3005
Historian
View Profile  

Grand_Forks_6.jpg - 80149 Bytes
« Reply #5 on: May 2nd, 2005, 1:06pm »

Another look at the modern loading spur with the green loading racks

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/CP/Grand_Forks_6.jpg
Click Image to Resize

ENR3005
Historian
View Profile  

Grand_Forks_7.jpg - 106346 Bytes
« Reply #6 on: May 2nd, 2005, 1:09pm »

Here is a shot of the chip loader. CP must of fudged the contract for this back in their day as it does not look like it has been used in a number of years. You can see the pipes on the right hand side that now lead to the truck loader. I am suprised that BNSF and the GFR have not tried to take this traffic back.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/CP/Grand_Forks_7.jpg
Click Image to Resize

ENR3005
Historian
View Profile  

Grand_Forks_8.jpg - 90549 Bytes
« Reply #7 on: May 2nd, 2005, 1:13pm »

Here is a shot of the largest customer on the line, the Roxul plant. I was suprised to see a trackmobile switching cars at the plant instead of the GF railway. There appears to be three tracks into the facility with two for storage of incoming and outgoign cars and one for the warehouse. There is also a run around track.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/CP/Grand_Forks_8.jpg
Click Image to Resize

ENR3005
Historian
View Profile  

Grand_Forks_9.jpg - 78062 Bytes
« Reply #8 on: May 2nd, 2005, 1:16pm »

I just missed getting a shot of the trackmobile in this photo. It had been parked on the tail end of the run around track with a boxcar. They pulled the car into the warehouse and closed the door while I was finding parking to get a shot.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/CP/Grand_Forks_9.jpg
Click Image to Resize

ENR3005
Historian
View Profile  

Grand_Forks_10.jpg - 86669 Bytes
« Reply #9 on: May 2nd, 2005, 1:22pm »

Here is another large GFR industry that loads slag from various mines around the city into railcars that will be manufactured into abrasive products.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/CP/Grand_Forks_10.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: May 2nd, 2005, 1:23pm by ENR3005 » Logged
Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #10 on: May 2nd, 2005, 2:17pm »

Hi ENR,

Interesting shots, but I would have been more adventurous. I would have rolled down the window, and taken a shot irrespective of the settings on the camera, hoping for a reasonably decent exposure. Having done that, I would then adjust the camera, and still have taken additional shots out of the car window, at high shutter speed. Or, in other words, when in a compromising situation as you were, shoot first and ask questions afterwards. What I normally do, is as I approach a scenario, I immediately adjust the camera settings for a "normal" shot. So, if anything suddenly appears, I have a reasonable guessitmate for a proper exposure. Often, when I am somewhat short of the mark, the developers can adjust the developing to compensate for my errors. That is my ace up my sleeve.

« Last Edit: May 2nd, 2005, 2:20pm by Pennsy » Logged

Dyed in the wool PRR fan.
KootenayValleyRailway
Historian

« Reply #11 on: May 3rd, 2005, 4:42pm »

hey those are some awsome photos of the grand forks area! cant wait to see the next ones

Canadian Pacific Railway
Conductor - Calgary (Laggan/Red Deer Subs)

The Columbia & Kootenay Railway - "The railway from nowhere to nowhere" ~ William Van Horne (1893)
CroftonSpur88
Historian

« Reply #12 on: May 3rd, 2005, 11:50pm »

Very nice shots 3005, thanks for sharing them.

It's giving me the itch for a late spring railfan roadtrip to Grand Forks.

"the rails are somewhere under those weeds"
Mark J
Former Member
  GFR_sw8_6703b_pKovanda.jpg - 44315 Bytes
« Reply #13 on: May 4th, 2005, 4:15am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Good start Chris.  Grand Forks is a mere shadow of what it used to be but atleast it is still served by rail, now even the BN line is operated by a shortline , Omnitrax as of december 2004.  I would assume that you weren't able to catch the Grand Forks Railway's ex CP SW8 6703 so I'll post one taken by P. Kovanda in august 2004.  I'm sure 6703 is a veteran of the E&N, I think I caught it in Esquimalt myself on one occasion.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/CP/GFR_sw8_6703b_pKovanda.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: May 4th, 2005, 4:16am by raildog » Logged
Mark J
Former Member

« Reply #14 on: May 4th, 2005, 4:37am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

on May 2nd, 2005, 12:59pm, ENR3005 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
...I am curious as to how these two green towers would aid in the loading of cars. They almost look like LPG unloading towers.

Those green towers are fall restraints, there to prevent someone from falling off the top of the car and hitting the ground when it becomes necessary to climb up on the cars to place dunnage or to tie down the lumber.  You can see stairs going up and a platform which extends over the top of the cars.  Also you can make out in your photo a cable running between the two towers on which a pulley is mounted which is attached to a harness which the worker wears thus preventing a very danderous tumble from the top of the load.

on May 2nd, 2005, 1:09pm, ENR3005 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Here is a shot of the chip loader. CP must of fudged the contract for this back in their day as it does not look like it has been used in a number of years. You can see the pipes on the right hand side that now lead to the truck loader. I am suprised that BNSF and the GFR have not tried to take this traffic back.

As for CP, they quit hauling chips on this line in the late eighties, unable to compete with the trucking industry.   The trucking industry can charge a whole lot less than the railway can because they operate over government maintained highways where the railway is solely responsible for maintenance of their own line, thus this creates a huge offset in shipping rates.

If I'm not mistaken, BN hauled chips or more specifically sawdust out of here more recently than 1988, not too sure when they quit doing this.

Hey did you stop for a beer and lunch at the Station pub?  Its the old CP station which has been renovated into a pub and grill. They have good food and worth a visit.

ENR3005
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #15 on: May 4th, 2005, 11:03am »

on May 4th, 2005, 4:37am, Mark J wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Those green towers are fall restraints, there to prevent someone from falling off the top of the car and hitting the ground when it becomes necessary to climb up on the cars to place dunnage or to tie down the lumber.  You can see stairs going up and a platform which extends over the top of the cars.  Also you can make out in your photo a cable running between the two towers on which a pulley is mounted which is attached to a harness which the worker wears thus preventing a very danderous tumble from the top of the load.

Thanks for the explanation on that. We don't see many of those down here in the lower mainland probally due to the harsh winters that those folks have.

on May 4th, 2005, 4:37am, Mark J wrote:       (Click here for original message)

As for CP, they quit hauling chips on this line in the late eighties, unable to compete with the trucking industry.   The trucking industry can charge a whole lot less than the railway can because they operate over government maintained highways where the railway is solely responsible for maintenance of their own line, thus this creates a huge offset in shipping rates.

If I'm not mistaken, BN hauled chips or more specifically sawdust out of here more recently than 1988, not too sure when they quit doing this.

Hey did you stop for a beer and lunch at the Station pub?  Its the old CP station which has been renovated into a pub and grill. They have good food and worth a visit.

We went camping with some friends at Christina Lake back in the summer of 2003 and I got a chance to check out the station / pub and grill when we decided to go for dinner one night to escape the heat. Great food and beer there but it would be better if there were some tracks in front of the station though.

ENR3005
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #16 on: May 4th, 2005, 11:09am »

on May 4th, 2005, 4:15am, Mark J wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Good start Chris.  Grand Forks is a mere shadow of what it used to be but atleast it is still served by rail, now even the BN line is operated by a shortline , Omnitrax as of december 2004.  I would assume that you weren't able to catch the Grand Forks Railway's ex CP SW8 6703 so I'll post one taken by P. Kovanda in august 2004.  I'm sure 6703 is a veteran of the E&N, I think I caught it in Esquimalt myself on one occasion.

That unit is a veteran of the E&N. I did manage to get away for a morning while camping to get some shots of the 6703 which was parked right beside the mill. There was a crew doing finishing maintenance work on the unit when I took the shots. These shots were taken with my digital and are stuck one of my Wife's CDs that I will have to dig out.

pa_sub1
Railfan
  Aug_15_Misc_087.jpg - 157023 Bytes
« Reply #17 on: May 6th, 2005, 12:17am »

Grand Forks is a great place to take photos and video of trains cause nothing grows there (very fast).  The right of ways are wide open and ripe for the camera.  Unfortunately it's difficult to get the shots because of the infrequent traffic.  When I was there last summer, I was lucky enough to catch the BNSF picking up the train at the interchange.  This was on a Friday afternoon.  They picked up around 18 cars.  Grand Forks Railroad operated on the following Monday and spotted 6 cars on the interchange track.  If you do the math, there may only be one train coming into Grand Forks a week to pick up cars.  Maybe Omnitrax will operate differently.  If Shaw gets their webspace fixed, I'll try to upload a couple of short video shots of Grand Forks Railroad and BNSF operating.  For now a few pictures.  The first is a picture of the pony truss railway bridge which crosses the Granby River just south of Lynch Creek.  This was part of the Kettle Valley Railway's Fifth (or North Fork) Subdivision, otherwise known locally as the "Hot Air Line".  The pilings for the original wooden Through Howe Truss bridge can be seen at the water's edge.

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (157023 bytes, 1578x1183 pixels)

Click Here to View Image Aug_15_Misc_087.jpg - 157023 Bytes

pa_sub1
Railfan
  Aug_15_Misc_097.jpg - 306285 Bytes
« Reply #18 on: May 6th, 2005, 12:21am »

This second picture is of the bridge piers which carried CP's Granby Subdivision trackage over the Granby River to the smelter at Grand Forks.  Originally there was a wooden howe truss bridge here, it was replaced with steel spans before the subdivision was abandoned.  The Great Northern crossed over top of this bridge to reach the smelter.

Image exceeds Forum display limit of 300000 bytes. (306285 bytes, 1183x1578 pixels)

Click Here to View Image Aug_15_Misc_097.jpg - 306285 Bytes

pa_sub1
Railfan
  Aug_15_Misc_109.jpg - 209232 Bytes
« Reply #19 on: May 6th, 2005, 12:24am »

This picture is of the two through Howe Truss bridge which crossed the Kettle River on the way to the CPR station in Grand Forks.  It's kind of a bridge to nowhere now as the Grand Forks Railroad track ends at the other end of it.

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (209232 bytes, 1578x1183 pixels)

Click Here to View Image Aug_15_Misc_109.jpg - 209232 Bytes

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »