Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Dec 15th, 2017, 10:43pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Exploring the Southern Division (Blue Comet)
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Jersey Central Lines
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, Henry)
   Exploring the Southern Division (Blue Comet)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Exploring the Southern Division (Blue Comet)  (Read 16949 times)
JrzWalker86
Railfan
Re: Exploring the Southern Division (Blue Comet)

« Reply #220 on: Aug 16th, 2010, 5:29pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Hi Eddie,

Hopefully things will stir up soon. I have been by Lakehurst quite a few times this past month and haven't seen anything but a bunch of Hi-Lo type vehicles being used by workers to repair or refresh the concrete columns on the Rt. 70 bridge going over the tracks.

Best regards

barnegat.matthew
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #221 on: Dec 3rd, 2010, 3:56am »

About half way between the bridge and whitings there is actually a crossing with the crossing signs still up on a dirt road too.  There is also a cool old pottery factory back there that is pretty cool to explore.

on Aug 31st, 2004, 9:03pm, njvike wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Before and after on the CNJ crossing Rt72  
Before photo furnished by Robert A. Staples web site  
Trail of the Blue Comet  
http://thebluecomet.com/  

JrzWalker86
Railfan

« Reply #222 on: Dec 12th, 2010, 3:08pm »

I don't know of any thread that mentions this but there are electric poles with crossbeams over these tracks from Redbank through Tinton Falls.  Did the Pennsylvania Railroad operate through this section of the line? If so did they actually build this portion of the CNJ Southern Secondary?
Thanks in advance for the replies.

JrzWalker86
Railfan

« Reply #223 on: Jan 2nd, 2011, 10:03am »

This is what I know about the line through Redbank, Tinton Falls.
Despite the Northeast corridor looking electric poles with crossbeams, it could never have been electrified simply because the current NJ Transit Coastline that feeds into it (though the PRR Brown's Yard) was not electrified past South Amboy until around 1983. It is nonetheless interesting that these type of poles were erected over a CNJ Secondary line.

Eddie M.
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #224 on: Feb 19th, 2011, 12:51pm »

King George IV and Queen Elizabeth I made a stop in Red Bank via the CNJ
June 10,1939.  
Here now is this story: http://www.monmouthcountylife.com/a-monmouth-life/royalty-in-monmouth-county/

« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2011, 12:53pm by Eddie M. » Logged

Railroads are a weakness we all share..
JrzWalker86
Railfan

« Reply #225 on: Aug 17th, 2011, 8:53pm »

Hi Folks,

There is some great news happening from Lakehurst to Whiting. All I have to say is read from pages 70 to 74 from this link.  
http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=127&t=31458&p=940899&hilit=woodmansie+cleared#p940899
You can form your own opinions to what will happen soon.

JrzWalker86
Railfan

« Reply #226 on: Aug 29th, 2011, 6:24pm »

I just thought I would post images of the new Rt. 530 crossing in Whiting. The tracks had previously been paved over before years ago with the crossing signals removed.

JrzWalker86
Railfan
  153_777x580.jpg - 102902 Bytes
« Reply #227 on: Aug 29th, 2011, 6:28pm »

Here is one image of the new Rt. 530 crossing in Whiting. The tracks had previously been paved over before years ago with the crossing signals removed. Now part of the trail of the Blue Comet may see some new activity. The crossing on Diamond Rd. was redone as well in a similar fashion.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/CNJ/153_777x580.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Eddie M.
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #228 on: Sep 5th, 2011, 2:16am »

Seeing is believing!  I'm a little surprised to see the wooden cross bucks in favor of the automated signals.

Railroads are a weakness we all share..
JrzWalker86
Railfan

« Reply #229 on: Sep 6th, 2011, 8:19pm »

The rest of the old track was not hooked up yet to the new crossing. I'm sure the wooden crossbucks are temporary just to let the locals know that indeed something will be coming back soon.

Andy_S
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #230 on: Sep 13th, 2011, 12:29pm »

The past several business days has seen many trucks hauling material out of the Heritage Mineral site in Manchester Twp between Whiting and Lakehurst.  I presume that they are loaded with sand, but according to law, the loads are covered.  I'm talking about trucks every 5 minutes in or out.  It would have been nice to see trains used for this purpose, but I have seen no signs of activity south of Lakehurst to the sand site.  Haven't been to Whiing though.  When I see the same kind of crossing work done on Rte 539 as on Rte 630, I'll know that someone is serious about restoring traffic on this stretch.  I live closer to this area now, so I'll try to keep those interested up to date.

Andy_S
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #231 on: Sep 13th, 2011, 4:41pm »

I had to check it out for myself.  It appears that they replaced ties on both sides of the road for about 30 feet and laid down new ballast.  They also removed the "EXEMPT" signs from the post that had the yellow X crsg on them.  Also, no sign of work anywhere south of Whiting up to Pasadena Rd, although it looks as if someone sprayed weed killer along the ROW.  Much of the weedy vegetation is starting to turn brown in that area anyway.  If someone did spray weedkiller, it wasn't with a flanged wheel vehicle, as no vegetation was mashed to the rails.  South of Pasadena, I could see from my truck that there were 2 pine trees across the tracks.  We shall see what comes of this.

Hulka
Railfan

« Reply #232 on: Sep 8th, 2012, 2:56pm »

It has been almost a year since anything was posted.  I gather that nothing has changed sine then?

Andy_S
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #233 on: Sep 18th, 2012, 11:13am »

Nothing but that the weeds have grown ranker.  My friends in Whiting keep hearing whispers of sand service again, but I will only post facts.

JrzWalker86
Railfan

« Reply #234 on: Sep 26th, 2012, 6:27pm »

According to this website,  

http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=127&t=31458&hilit=woodmansie+cleared&start=1245

there was a crew at the Rt. 530 crossing installing a signal along the tracks. Also, at Wranglebrook Rd. there was a new signal box installed. There are pictures of both. Perhaps that will be all for the rehabilitation for the year.....JK

JrzWalker86
Railfan
  061-comp.jpg - 81900 Bytes
« Reply #235 on: Oct 14th, 2012, 10:39am »

Here are some photos for those who have read the link I have posted in the past two weeks concerning the track work of the former CNJ secondary southern and addition of signals and gates in the Whiting area. This is Wranglebrook Road and Manchester Blvd.

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (81900 bytes, 1024x577 pixels)

Click Here to View Image 061-comp.jpg - 81900 Bytes

JrzWalker86
Railfan
  069-comp.jpg - 100138 Bytes
« Reply #236 on: Oct 14th, 2012, 10:48am »

These are some recent photos of the Lacey Road and Manchester Blvd. intersection. Note the new cross bucks with no lights but a feature which looks like a torch top. As told by another person. This is an electronic bell speaker. Also, take notice of the new semaphore type signals on either side of the crossing in which I believe tells the train engineer that the traffic signals regulating the intersection are working well.

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (100138 bytes, 1024x577 pixels)

Click Here to View Image 069-comp.jpg - 100138 Bytes

JrzWalker86
Railfan
  067-comp.jpg - 97490 Bytes
« Reply #237 on: Oct 14th, 2012, 10:52am »

Another angle of Rt. 530 and Manchester Blvd, from the nearby park looking southward.

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (97490 bytes, 1024x577 pixels)

Click Here to View Image 067-comp.jpg - 97490 Bytes

JrzWalker86
Railfan
  062-comp.jpg - 91532 Bytes
« Reply #238 on: Oct 14th, 2012, 10:55am »

One more of Rt. 530 (Lacey Rd.) and Manchester Blvd looking more North and East.

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (91532 bytes, 1024x577 pixels)

Click Here to View Image 062-comp.jpg - 91532 Bytes

JrzWalker86
Railfan
  065-comp.jpg - 93157 Bytes
« Reply #239 on: Oct 14th, 2012, 11:11am »

A couple of extra images,

This is at the park right north of the Rt. 530 and Manchester Blvd crossing. The track has new rail joint plates, in blue, installed right before the switch. The track which goes to the right is the old connector track to the PRR when that used to run through Whiting. Many rail joints from this park area down to Diamond Rd. (next crossing south of Rt. 530), have had new wires brazed in between and many new rail joint plates have been installed.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/CNJ/065-comp.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »