Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jul 29th, 2014, 2:49pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Reporting Marks Question
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Jersey Central Lines
(Moderators: Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Henry)
   Reporting Marks Question
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Reporting Marks Question  (Read 1444 times)
hudsonelectric
Historian
Reporting Marks Question

« on: Feb 9th, 2004, 4:02am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I'm finishing up a Funaro & Camerlengo CNJ war emergency gon kit that will be put into service on my railroad as an MW gon. The kit came with decals for both the CNJ and for 'CRP'. What was CRP?

Al T
Historian
Re: Reporting Marks Question

« Reply #1 on: Feb 9th, 2004, 7:32am »

Here's a simplified version without going into all the legal mumbo-jumbo and corporate wheeling and dealing:

In the 1940s, CNJ believed they were being unfairly taxed by the State of New Jersey on their properties including those in the State of Pennsylvania.

CNJ created (which for lack of a better word I will call a subsidiary) known as CRP the "Central Railroad of Pennsylvania" hoping they would avoid the unfair taxation.  

It probably didn't work, because CRP - as a corporation - ceased somewhere in the early 1950s.

In the meantime, much CNJ equipment was re-stencilled with CRP reporting marks including a number of new diesel deliveries.  This may also be why equipment into those years was stencilled "Jersey Central Lines" rather than "Central Railroad of New Jersey", Lines possibly implying that more than one railroad was included, CNJ and CRP.

W&N reporting marks were also seen on some equipment.  W&N was a branch or subsidiary known as the Wharton and Northern in northern New Jersey.  The Baldwin double-ender passenger diesels were delivered with W&N reporting marks, though they probably never ran on those rails, unless as a PR photo stunt.  

PRR and CNJ both ran trains on and operated the New York and Long Branch, but I don't know of any equipment carrying NYLB reporting marks.

Richard C
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Feb 10th, 2004, 1:04pm »

There was also the CRNY.  Central Railroad of New York.  Although the trackage was confined mostly to Busch terminal, some car floats and a few other consignees in New York City, it was part of the tax maneuver the CNJ felt best served their interest..  
 The reason that the CNJ sold off the Pennsy division to the LV was to rid themselves of a money draining, low profit return portion of the system. Coal as the king fuel was all but dead and passenger service to Pennsylvania was too low to continue service.  It had little to do with the tax arrangement the CNJ had at the time.  
  As with all of the other anthracite roads in New Jersey, the CNJ was deep in the red and was doing whatever possible to keep from going under.
  The NYLB did have a few pieces of M&W equipment I remember seeing at Long Branch many years ago. Other than that it was strickly a paperwork railroad between the CNJ and the PRR.  rc

cbaer

View Profile  

« Reply #3 on: Feb 11th, 2004, 9:57am »

The Central Railroad Company of Pennsylvania (CRP) was created by renaming the former Easton & Western, which originally built a short branch that looped around on the west side of Easton.  This was the only part of the PA/L&S Division that the CNJ built and owned outright.  Everything else was leased from the Lehigh Coal & Navigation Company.  When the courts ruled that this attempt to avoid NJ taxes was not legal, the CRP went back to being the owner of the E&W Branch.

You are correct that the "Jersey Central Lines" named was used to combine the CNJ and CRP and downplay the fact that the CNJ was a NJ corporation.

The first batch of double enders was owned by the Wharton & Northern because at that time the CNJ was still in bankruptcy and the W&N was not.

I am not aware of and CRRofNY.  There is no mention of it in the CNJs annual reports or minutes.  Bush Terminal (in Brooklyn) was a private operation not connected with the CNJ.  The CNJ operated a Bronx Terminal.  There was a dummy NY corporation that owned some of the real estate there.

Chris Baer

Richard C
Historian

« Reply #4 on: Feb 11th, 2004, 10:58am »

I stand corrected Chris,  I meant the Bronx terminal complex..  rc

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »