Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 22nd, 2018, 8:10am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

C.N. Passenger car "Mount Robson"
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   North American Railroads
   CN Discussion
(Moderators: , CN5710)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: C.N. Passenger car "Mount Robson"  (Read 141 times)
grobrailman
Chaser
View Profile  

« on: Aug 29th, 2010, 12:35pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I am looking for information/location/picture of C.N. Rail car "Mount Robson"
Built by PS in 1954 CN 1101 800090a  . This information I got off The train source inc.
I am  new to computers/web sites etc.  but I have always loved trains.
Any ideas on what I need to do to get information on this car?  I have checked some other sites to no avail.  Any help will be appreciated.  Thank you.

missthealcos
Historian
Re: C.N. Passenger car "Mount Robson"

« Reply #1 on: Aug 31st, 2010, 2:17pm »

I can't find a pic of a Mount, but there were 6 Mount cars, they were 5 drawing room, 3 bedroom cars. 3 were converted to 3 bedroom/lounge cars(similar to the Cape cars), Albreda, Fitzwilliam, and Resplendent, by dropping the mount prefix, and lasted until the 1990 cuts. The other 3 were withdrawn in the first cuts in 1981, so unless it's hiding somewhere out of sight, Mount Robson is likely gone.

Norm_Anderson
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Aug 31st, 2010, 6:03pm »

grobrailman, on the theory that "anything is better than nothing," perhaps this might be of some limited value?

Forum member Jerry LaBoda has amassed an incredible wealth of passenger car photo links at his website,  

http://www.trainweb.org/passengercars

If you visit his homepage, you will need to scroll a bit more than halfway down the page, until you come to the "Passenger Cars" category.  Then, click on "Canadian National I" and you will see two links labeled "CN 1092 Mount Resplendent"

First, the caveats-- the car, as shown, has been repainted blue, lettered for "Louisville & Nashville," and has been re-named "Oliver Hazard Perry"

But here's the good news-- all these changes are purely cosmetic.  It is likely that the window arrangements, underbody details, and truck configurations have remained unchanged.  I gather that Mount Resplendent was an identical twin sister to Mount Robson (in CN service it carried number 1104 to Robson's 1101).  Mr. LaBoda's photo links show both sides of the car, so perhaps... perhaps... for reference purposes she may serve as a suitable "stand-in."

Regards,

Norm

P.S. Gratitude is owed, also, to the "RR - Fallen Flags" and "New England Rails" websites for providing the photos in the first place.

« Last Edit: Aug 31st, 2010, 6:11pm by Norm_Anderson » Logged
missthealcos
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Sep 1st, 2010, 3:16pm »

I had tried that resource for pictures. The car listed as former Resplendant/Mount Resplendent, is one of the 3 that were modified to sleeper/lounges in the early 80's. The original 5-3 window arrangement was significantly changed, on both sides of the car. If you compare it to a photo of one of the CN Cape cars, you'll see that Resplendent was made to be quite similar during modifications. The original arrangement on the Mount sleepers is very different. Finding pictures of an original Mount car online is going to be tough, it was a small group, and does not appear to have been photographed much. There are 2 pictures of original Mount cars(Mount Albreda, Mount Edith Cavell, one of each side) in Rail Canada volume 4, that I know for sure.

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »