Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jan 18th, 2018, 5:14pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Illinois Central "Hawkeye" in 1957
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   North American Railroads
   CN Discussion
(Moderators: , CN5710)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Illinois Central "Hawkeye" in 1957  (Read 187 times)
Dr. Richard Leonard
Historian
  IC_Hawkeye_1957.jpg - 67142 Bytes
« on: Jan 8th, 2010, 12:40pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I took photos of what must be Illinois Central's eastbound "Hawkeye" at Storm Lake, Iowa in August 1957 (see one below). However the photo was taken at midday, and what little schedule information I have shows it in Storm Lake at a different time. Can anyone provide 1957 schedule information to enlighten me? Thanks. -- Richard Leonard

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/CN/IC_Hawkeye_1957.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Dr. Richard Leonard, Hamilton, Illinois. Richard Leonard's Rail Archive, http://www.railarchive.net
Dr. Richard Leonard
Historian
Re: Illinois Central "Hawkeye" in 1957

« Reply #1 on: Jan 8th, 2010, 6:08pm »

Well, I had a response on another forum indication that the westbound "Hawkeye" went through Storm Lake at 10:30 in the morning. My memory has evidently played a trick on me, because I thought the depot was on the south side of the tracks. Looking at my photos, there are no shadows to verify directions (must have been an overcast day) but I guess it shows the westbound train, after all.

Dr. Richard Leonard, Hamilton, Illinois. Richard Leonard's Rail Archive, http://www.railarchive.net
Norm_Anderson
Historian
Re: Illinois Central "Hawkeye" in 1957

« Reply #2 on: Jan 13th, 2010, 3:29pm »

Dr. Leonard,

What a delightful surprise to stumble across this thread!  There will always be a soft spot in my heart for the Hawkeye, even though I only rode it once (in early June of 1957, just a few days after my fifth birthday).

My memories, of course, are dim, but I do remember the ride from Rockford to Chicago aboard Train No. 12.  I recall being intrigued by the chocolate-and-orange paint scheme (up to that time, I had only seen Santa Fe stainless steel).  We arrived in Chicago in a driving rainstorm, where we took a cab from Central Station to Dearborn for our connection to the westbound Chief for Los Angeles.

According to IC's timetable for April 29, 1956, westbound No. 11 did indeed call at Storm Lake in mid-morning (my timetable says 10:50am).  Eastbound No. 12 called at 7:36pm, en route to a next-morning arrival in Chicago.  It appears that, in both directions, Storm Lake was just a handful of minutes over twelve hours from Chicago.

Equipment listed included two Sleepers--  

12 Roomettes, 2 Single bedrooms, 2 Double Bedrooms, Chicago - Sioux City

12 Roomettes, 1 Drawing Room, 2 Single bedroom, 1 Double Bedroom, Chicago - Waterloo

There was also a Diner carried on No. 12 only, between Freeport and Chicago, presumably serving very early breakfast.  (The car returned to Freeport in the late afternoon/evening aboard No. 13, the Land O'Corn).

I don't have scanning ability, but if you are interested, send me a private message with an address, and I would be happy to mail you a photocopy of the timetable page from April, 1956.

Thanks again for the memories.

Regards,

Norm

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »