Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jan 21st, 2018, 4:11am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

CN names new CEO
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   North American Railroads
   CN Discussion
(Moderators: , CN5710)
   CN names new CEO
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: CN names new CEO  (Read 268 times)
cn2220
Historian
CN names new CEO

« on: Apr 22nd, 2009, 12:43pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

As most of you have probably heard already, CN has named Claude Mongeau CFO as Hunter Harrison's replacement.  

CN's official press release:
http://www.cn.ca/en/media-news-cn-board-selects-claude-mongeau-20090421.htm

bye bye Hunter, don't let the door hit you on the way out...in 7 months.

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
towny72
Historian
View Profile  

Re: CN names new CEO

« Reply #1 on: Jun 29th, 2009, 8:55pm »

Hunter Harrison,  

You love or you hate him and more hate then love with this man. I am personally amazed by what he became, and respect what he accomplished with his life. Now when I say that I say it from a historical aspect and not as a “fan”. The way he drove operating ratios down to bare minimal makes railfans cry and investors cheer. Also by using his ruthless tactics the CN was able to build the assets to continue to expand throughout North America. As a person growing up along the Bessemer and Lake Erie tracks Mr. Harrison is a bit of a “big bully” to my childhood and like I said he is not a champion of the railfan, but he is a very successful CEO of a railroad. We should all remember one thing when he leaves, often what replaces a jerk is an even bigger jerk….

Railfan Safely, And always respect private property.
cn2220
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Jun 30th, 2009, 2:37am »

His cost cutting killed more than a few employees. Remember the bridge collapse in McBride, BC? What about the runaway at Lillooet? Caused by he and his minions trying to squeeze every penny out of the assets. I have absolutely no respect for the man.  

The infrastructure is falling apart, CN will not maintain anything until it breaks, often in the cases of track and bridges catastrophically. Locomotives and rolling stock aren't much better. Crews turn in locomotives for safety or mechanical defects and are threatened with disciplinary action for delaying the assignment because CN doesn't make any money if the locomotives are in for repairs.  

I can understand sweating the assets, but he's pushed them to the breaking point.

As I said earlier, I have absolutely zero respect for the man and I know many who would not even brake if they saw him crossing the street.

« Last Edit: Jun 30th, 2009, 2:50am by cn2220 » Logged

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #3 on: Jun 30th, 2009, 10:23pm »

hmmm sounds like a shortline I know of... Making crews violate rules.... Na that never happens when money is on the table   Fire them if the complain about units that set the woods on fire everytime they go over N5.....

Railfan Safely, And always respect private property.
Piglet
Historian

« Reply #4 on: Jul 1st, 2009, 1:07pm »

I agree with bcr4604 on dear E dot.  After all the lovely things he has said about Canadains over his reign over the company I will not miss him and his attitudes.  His attitude has filtered down and infected the company and I hope the new fellow has a different attitude and works to repair the damage and decay of the last "great leader".   I just spent about 12 hours in Lilloet and didn't hear or see a thing in that time and I wouldn't have missed it being 30 feet from the mainline.  What a shame to see that.

we learn from the past
cn2220
Historian

« Reply #5 on: Jul 1st, 2009, 9:05pm »

on Jul 1st, 2009, 1:07pm, Piglet wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I agree with bcr4604 on dear E dot.  After all the lovely things he has said about Canadains over his reign over the company I will not miss him and his attitudes.  His attitude has filtered down and infected the company and I hope the new fellow has a different attitude and works to repair the damage and decay of the last "great leader".   I just spent about 12 hours in Lilloet and didn't hear or see a thing in that time and I wouldn't have missed it being 30 feet from the mainline.  What a shame to see that.

Train time in Lillooet is about 1 to 6 AM for the northbound and 10 AM to 6 PM for the southbound.

« Last Edit: Jul 1st, 2009, 9:08pm by cn2220 » Logged

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
penn_senseless
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #6 on: Aug 10th, 2009, 10:54pm »

In reading some of the descriptions on how the CN system "up there" is going to hell in a handbasket, while profits correspondingly soar, makes you wonder if he's helping himself to more of his share of company funds on the side as well.

After all, he has to look no farther than some of his CEO co-horts down here in the states to find PLENTY of examples of fraud, mis appropriation of funds, phantom bookkeeping and accounting tactics, etc...

Down here in the US, well, thats what we seem to do best anymore. Im sure Bay Street has been infected with that sort of corporate pus as well.

CP8673
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #7 on: Aug 11th, 2009, 1:16am »

on Aug 10th, 2009, 10:54pm, penn_senseless wrote:       (Click here for original message)
In reading some of the descriptions on how the CN system "up there" is going to hell in a handbasket, while profits correspondingly soar, makes you wonder if he's helping himself to more of his share of company funds on the side as well.

After all, he has to look no farther than some of his CEO co-horts down here in the states to find PLENTY of examples of fraud, mis appropriation of funds, phantom bookkeeping and accounting tactics, etc...

Down here in the US, well, thats what we seem to do best anymore. Im sure Bay Street has been infected with that sort of corporate pus as well.

Why does the thought of him being cellmates with Conrad Black make me smile ?

ENRFAN
Historian

« Reply #8 on: Aug 11th, 2009, 10:04am »

I think it is pretty sad that CN no longer stands for Canadain National. Its to bad that BC rail had to be sold to CN. I'm sure other people feel the same way about the other shortlines that the wet noodle has eaten up. i just hope the next CEO knows what he is doing. Maybe spend a little money on infastructure.

missthealcos
Historian

« Reply #9 on: Aug 11th, 2009, 1:57pm »

As I've said before, any 5 year old could have figured out the things this "genious" and "visionary leader" has. If you spend nothing, you'll have a favourable operating ratio. Has nothing to do with smart or far sighted business savy, just a bully with absolutley no regard for ANYTHING but profit(which yes, is the ultimate goal, but not at any cost) If there were any regulation, and actual enforcement of same, he'd likely practically be in jail.  

I doubt he'll lose a wink though, on top of his comfortable mountain of money.

CN was once a highly respected, pioneering, somewhat gentle giant, whose troubles could have easily been cleaned up. I doubt anyone anywhere who is not consumed entirely with $$ and nothing else, has an ounce of respect for it now.

« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2009, 2:05pm by missthealcos » Logged
penn_senseless
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #10 on: Aug 11th, 2009, 6:27pm »

I think some new terms are in order. Economic terrorism and economic terrorists for another. thats what people like hunter harrison truly are.

bin laden knocks down a couple of buildings and ruins a few thousand lives. These corporate terrorists ruin a perfectly good company and thousands of lives as well through layoffs, alcoholism and drug abuse, broken homes, suicides, wrecked communities. i wonder how they stack up morally.

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »