Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jan 21st, 2018, 4:18am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

New locos out West
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   North American Railroads
   CN Discussion
(Moderators: , CN5710)
   New locos out West
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: New locos out West  (Read 452 times)
CN Sparky
Enthusiast
View Profile  

New locos out West

« on: Mar 31st, 2008, 10:19pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I've been working on some of the latest units recently... nice to see them when they're still somewhat clean

The first of the new GE's, 2290... has a few things different from the 2255-2289 group.. see if you can spot them

The last of the new GM's.. 8849. I had the (dis)pleasure of doing the first electrical inspection. Thankfully, it passed just fine...  

We've been seeing a few other 88xx's coming out West... I was under the impression they were mostly staying back East due to problems... but I guess I was wrong, since the folks back East are sending us the problems!! Ha ha...

And this thing rolled up to the shop tracks just before shift change:

I've never worked on one of these before... it's (apparently) an ex-Conrail ex-LMS lease that was shared 6 months a year with NS?? And CN ended up buying half of the bunch. Looks to be a C40-8? I didn't jump on it, just grabbed a quick pic.

Sorry about the pic quality... all I carry with me is my cell phone!!

Piglet
Historian
Re: New locos out West

« Reply #1 on: Apr 1st, 2008, 12:44am »

There are few of the nice new clean ones coming through Edmonton regularly now but I did see one of the blue meanies the other day too.  I also saw an IC SD40 running west out to Ram River the other day in company of a pair of GE's.  
There was a semi that crashed onto the tracks from the Yellowhead over pass today that tied up traffic on the line for a  while when the truck burnt to a crisp.

we learn from the past
towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: Apr 1st, 2008, 2:51pm »

Sparky, That is def a ex LMS C40-8W. Towards the end of Conrail they included the LMS units into the conrail fleet. Dead give away would be the red class lights on the nose. Do you know how many of these CN purchased?

Railfan Safely, And always respect private property.
CN Sparky
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #3 on: Apr 1st, 2008, 7:45pm »

I looked them up at work today... IC 2455-2466 (12 units), "formerly LMSX 727" I'm assuming that refers to the original unit number of one of them, but I couldn't tell you which one. They're listed as class EF-640c, model Dash 8-40CM.

I didn't get onboard yesterday, and of course it was long gone today. Probably back in Edmonton by now...! Are the red marker lights indicating it was DP equipped?

missthealcos
Historian

« Reply #4 on: Apr 2nd, 2008, 8:27pm »

I believe the red marker lights have something to do with the Northeast Corridor, don't they?

Chris_de_Vries
Chaser

« Reply #5 on: Apr 4th, 2008, 12:34pm »

I do believe they are DPU. A freight locomotive would only have red lights if it had a pupose for bringing up the rear of a train.

Its a C40-8W. I would be an C40-8M if it was a full body like CN's 2400's.

CN Sparky
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #6 on: Apr 4th, 2008, 12:57pm »

Alright, so someone at CN HQ has it categorized wrong   ha ha...

Sbhinder273
Enthusiast

« Reply #7 on: Dec 28th, 2010, 6:23pm »

the C40-8W's numbered in the high 2400's are former LMSX leasers for Conrail numbered 700 - 739

after the split of Conrail CSXT took several and numbered them in the 7900's [ 7918 - 7929 ] retaining the classification lights

NS took several and numbered them in the 8400's [ 8452 - 8467 ] removing the classification lights

CN took the remaining and sublettered for IC in the 2400's [ 2455 - 2466 ] retaining the Classification lights

Since CN retained the classification lights for DPU service they would probably be used for DPU however I haven't seen any C40-8M in DPu service yet

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #8 on: Dec 30th, 2010, 1:52pm »

I wouldnt say CN kept the lights for DPU service. Most likely they just didnt remove them like NS has. CSX also kept the red class lights on excons. Often you find train crews running with them on when in the lead.

Railfan Safely, And always respect private property.
Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #9 on: Dec 30th, 2010, 5:34pm »

I see a few of them from time to time. They seem to stack up around the Colton area. And so far, they are clean. LOL

Dyed in the wool PRR fan.
CN Sparky
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #10 on: Jan 9th, 2011, 3:52pm »

Those Blue IC's do not have the equipment for DPU service. If they had such equipment at one time, it's been since removed. The short nose has very little equipment in it - pretty much just an event recorder. The red marker lights were retained, but aren't used.

I do not know how long CN's lease on these ex-Conrail units is for. Nor do I know if CN would purchase them at the end of that lease... if so, then I could imagine them seeing CN paint and cab upgrades at that time. Now with the purchase of the ex-BNSF and Ex-UP Dash 8's which are similarly equipped, these are no longer oddballs in the fleet.

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »