Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Mar 22nd, 2017, 6:27pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Why were the SPV's a failure?
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Locomotives and Rolling Stock
   Budd RDC and SPV
(Moderators: rdc_jay, cn2220)
   Why were the SPV's a failure?
« No topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Why were the SPV's a failure?  (Read 1248 times)
George_Harris
Historian
Re: Why were the SPV's a failure?

« Reply #20 on: Dec 19th, 2005, 7:39pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on Dec 17th, 2005, 3:55pm, Dutchrailnut wrote:       (Click here for original message)
This is main reason so much fails these days, to many people with engineering degrees trying to prove themselves.
 BUDD did it right with the RDC and their stainless steel coaches and first MU cars they were designed with the KISS plan.
Keep It Simple Stupid.
People with engineering degrees don't understand the way railroads operate.   

IMHO, the main problem with a lot of engineers is that they have never had to deal with the results of what they designed.  I was very fortunate in working first in maintenance, then in construction before ever doing any design.  I am a civil engineer, but since we are talking about equipment, I will say for the mechanical side that every mechanical engineer should spend time in the maintenance shop before being allowed to design anything.  It used to be in railroad work that most engineers doing design had spent time in the shop or at the least had close family or friends that did.  Also, when they all rode trains, they learned what worked and what did not just by observation.  Now we have people making basic decisions on the functionality of things that they never have used and know little about.  

This problem is actually worsened by the end of US design of passenger equipment.  In most of the rest of the world there is a huge social gap between those that do the design and those that do the work, so they not only do not get any feedback from the users and maintenance forces, they do not want any, and have no respect for what they do get.  

Unfortunately, good engineering is invisible.  If it works and is easy to maintain, nobody notices.  There is a real tendency for a design engineer that is relatively unfamiliar with the normal service of the device he is designing to design for many unlikely situations and through ignorance inadequately consider the normal.  And also through ignorance, not consider developing a final product that is simple to fabricate and use.  I could give a number of examples from experience.  One was a track fastener with 13 pieces above the anchor bolts designed to cover all improbabilities when a slight modification of a good and proven design with only 3 pieces above the anchor bolts, none of which needed torqueing or other adjustment could have been used.  The second was actually more sophisiticated in design, but it was much simpler to install and maintain.  That is the real key.  You can and should consider all reasonable possibilities in design including "graceful" failure, a term I once heard and really like, but no matter how fancy your design, the final product should be idiot simple to install and maintain.  

George

« Last Edit: Dec 19th, 2005, 7:42pm by George_Harris » Logged
spv_man
TRAINing

« Reply #21 on: Feb 8th, 2017, 3:42am »

on Dec 16th, 2005, 9:00pm, Dutchrailnut wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Mr Harris how many spv's did you work on or how many did you run ??
I worked on half fleet ever build and ran about same amount as engineer.
 so please don't would should and speculate on how they worked. Ive been there.

If you are so knowledgeable about the cars, maybe you should have been the maintenance foreman.....

George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #22 on: Feb 8th, 2017, 12:25pm »

on Feb 8th, 2017, 3:42am, spv_man wrote:       (Click here for original message)

If you are so knowledgeable about the cars, maybe you should have been the maintenance foreman....

on Dec 16th, 2005, 9:00pm, Dutchrailnut wrote:  
Mr Harris how many spv's did you work on or how many did you run ??  
I worked on half fleet ever build and ran about same amount as engineer.  
 so please don't would should and speculate on how they worked. I've been there.  

I have no idea what your point is or who it is aimed at, Dutchrailnut or me.  Also, note that the post you are responding to is 11 years old.  By the way, Dutchrailnut's most recent post was in 2009, so I doubt he visits this site any more.

« Last Edit: Feb 8th, 2017, 1:33pm by George_Harris » Logged
HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #23 on: Feb 8th, 2017, 4:02pm »

George - Lodge Members -

Our FORUM here, most blessedly, with long memories and apparently the entire thread here dates a dozen years back.  
The entire discussion well done. It is quite plain how the BUDD SPV, now thirty-five years back, simply an historic artifact.

It clearly obvious why the units failed account its quite minimal sales. It hardly the first venture in rail rolling stock which  
did not work out. Example? Anyone care to revisit the GM Aerotrain? The ACF Motor Cars, which with episodes wherein  
the built in prime mover motor caught fire?

Noted and appreciate your own observations, provided as generic rules of thumb and maxims. The way your writer reads it,  
simply an appeal to common sense, sturdy and reliable solutions. Oh, well... (FWIW?)

........................  Vern   ..........................

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #24 on: Feb 10th, 2017, 11:36pm »

The SPV is 35 years back!!!  Say it is not so.  Can't be that long.  Guess it really is.  Symptom of getting old, I guess.

Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« No topic | Next topic »