Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 22nd, 2017, 8:35pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

B&O P7 peach.....
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Baltimore & Ohio
(Moderator: Alco83)
   B&O P7 peach.....
« No topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: B&O P7 peach.....  (Read 262 times)
davy_mac
Railfan
B&O P7 peach.....
  BO_P7C_Sam.jpg - 113756 Bytes
« on: Feb 4th, 2007, 7:46am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Hi Guys,
     Long time no here ! but got this beauty on E bay.  5317 as she was in 1950. An HO model which I'll be using as a source of detail info for a new 1/29th scale kitbash of an Aristo pacific.  Adam (Alco83) sent me a couple of pics of this loco a while back , great to have the model and its extremely accurate to my eyes.   DAVY

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/BandO/BO_P7C_Sam.jpg
Click Image to Resize

davy_mac
Railfan
Re: B&O P7 peach.....
  bo-s5317ahn.jpg - 64674 Bytes
« Reply #1 on: Feb 4th, 2007, 7:52am »

One of the pictures Adam (alco 83)sent me for comparison purposes with the model. The tender variant in this pic shows 5317 with the same type tender as fitted to 5300 in the B&O museum today,in later life she sported  
the 6 axle box type tender.   DAVY

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/BandO/bo-s5317ahn.jpg
Click Image to Resize

hutton_switch
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: Feb 4th, 2007, 8:26am »

Davy, at other forums, such as the B&O Yahoo forum, whenever anyone asks a particular question about a locomotive, passenger car, etc., in order to get an accurate answer, a question is answered with a question:  "What era or timeframe are you modeling on your layout?"  That is the decision you will have to make when you go to model the tender for this nice P7c you just obtained.

From what I've seen of the pics you've posted in the past, you seem to have a preference for the late 'forties and early 'fifties on your layout.  In this case, you'll likely want to go with the six-axle tender for your P7c.  Good luck!

Wade

P.S. - That photo of the 5317 looks like she's subbing for one of the streamlined P7d's of the famous Cincinnatian, and is located at Grafton, West Virginia.  Apparently one of the bullet locos needed shop work on that day.

« Last Edit: Feb 4th, 2007, 8:32am by hutton_switch » Logged

Wade Rice
Member, B&O RR Historical Society
http://www.borhs.org
Daniel Willard (1860-1942) and Jervis Langdon, Jr. (1905-2004) - Two of B&O's best presidents and managers!
President Leonor Loree (1858-1940) brought the B&O into the 20th century!
davy_mac
Railfan
  bo5309s.jpg - 134109 Bytes
« Reply #3 on: Feb 4th, 2007, 10:27am »

Hi Wade,
    I'm only interested in the 1950 till end of steam period 57/58.  5317 was practically identicle in detail latterly to 5309,but 5309 sported the short 8 axle type tender till the end as far as I am aware. So I may use this tender with a different variant P7 ,or re-number 5317 to 5309. Only detail difference I can see is in the sandpipe detail.5309 and 5317 were two of a only a few P7s to have standard spoked wheels at the end.

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (134109 bytes, 1225x729 pixels)

Click Here to View Image bo5309s.jpg - 134109 Bytes

davy_mac
Railfan
  bo-s5309alr.jpg - 82311 Bytes
« Reply #4 on: Feb 4th, 2007, 10:39am »

5309 in colour attached

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (82311 bytes, 1100x468 pixels)

Click Here to View Image bo-s5309alr.jpg - 82311 Bytes

Waltg30
TRAINing

« Reply #5 on: Oct 29th, 2017, 6:43pm »

Davy,   I am Walt G and I sold you 5317 years ago.  I thought I recognized my pictures.  I am leaving modelling since I recently moved. So, I have 5316 and 6179 which I will probably put on EBAY, plus E8's, E7, FA's, Sharks and a great passenger car fleet. Before I moved, I modelled Wheeling, WVa trains so my passenger car fleet reflects that plus.

I also have the original number plate from P7c 5305, which I will probably try to sell for big bucks.

If you know anyone that might be interested in any, let me know. U can reach me at Waltg30@att.net

Walt

hutton_switch
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #6 on: Oct 30th, 2017, 10:22am »

on Oct 29th, 2017, 6:43pm, Waltg30 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Davy,   I am Walt G and I sold you 5317 years ago.  I thought I recognized my pictures.  I am leaving modelling since I recently moved. So, I have 5316 and 6179 which I will probably put on EBAY, plus E8's, E7, FA's, Sharks and a great passenger car fleet. Before I moved, I modelled Wheeling, WVa trains so my passenger car fleet reflects that plus.

I also have the original number plate from P7c 5305, which I will probably try to sell for big bucks.

If you know anyone that might be interested in any, let me know. U can reach me at Waltg30@att.net

Walt

Walt,

Here is something for you to give serious thought to......

The models you want to sell could go to private individuals for whatever price you ask or whatever interested individuals are willing to pay.  Models are one thing that charitable railroading organizations have limited interest in for the fact that they're reproductions of an original historical artifact.

But original artifacts such as the number board from the P7c 5305 you have DO have significance to charitable organizations (ones that are Federally certified as 501.c.3) such as the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Historical Society of Sykesville, MD or the B&O Railroad Museum in Baltimore.  Obviously, you seem to have your eyes set on trying to get the maximum amount of money for this number board.  But 501.c.3 organizations nowadays are so strapped for cash that purchase of original artifacts are pretty much out of the question.

Think of it this way:  Would you rather that number board be a donated significant display piece to a museum or historical society to be seen by the public as opposed to being sold and hid away in someone's basement collection seen by no one other than that individual until he finally passes away years later?  These organizations have expertise that can appraise that number board for its current value and give you an official document of appraised value for you to use as an instrument to act as a tax write-off on your income tax for the year in which you donate the number board to the given organization.

As each generation comes along, probably 99% of those kids don't know that a given set of tracks they may see were once B&O.  They only see them as CSX, unless someone else who knows tells those kids what they once were.  And meanwhile, what there is left of the B&O keeps fading away with every year........very sad.

If you intend to pursue the donation route, I can put you in contact with the appropriate individuals at the B&O Railroad Historical Society, of which I'm a member and a former member of their Board of Directors.

Wade Rice

Wade Rice
Member, B&O RR Historical Society
http://www.borhs.org
Daniel Willard (1860-1942) and Jervis Langdon, Jr. (1905-2004) - Two of B&O's best presidents and managers!
President Leonor Loree (1858-1940) brought the B&O into the 20th century!
Waltg30
TRAINing
  BO_5305_No_Plate.jpg - 273849 Bytes
« Reply #7 on: Oct 30th, 2017, 12:10pm »

Wade,
I agree with everything you say!  I was a member of the B&O Historical Society for years, but I neglected to maintain my membership for whatever reason- don't remember any more.  Playing in a few bands became my priority(music).  

I would like to call the B&O Museum and see if they are interested. But, years ago they were selling number plates (I bought 4477 then) and I now wonder if they would keep 5305 or sell it.  I personally regard a P7 plate as "Gold" and I wouldn't want it to just go anywhere tat wouldn't keep it.

Walt G

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (273849 bytes, 2012x1927 pixels)

Click Here to View Image BO_5305_No_Plate.jpg - 273849 Bytes

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« No topic | Next topic »