Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Aug 20th, 2017, 5:14pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Brightening up the Ohio River Sub
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Baltimore & Ohio
(Moderator: Alco83)
   Brightening up the Ohio River Sub
« No topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Brightening up the Ohio River Sub  (Read 3089 times)
dirttrackphenom
Enthusiast
Re: Brightening up the Ohio River Sub

« Reply #120 on: Jun 19th, 2005, 4:01pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Does anyone have anymore pictures/information of the B&O in Huntington? I believe this route had some interesting trackage through town. C&O had the best trackage, but I think the B&O had a tougher time and may even have had some steet trackage. I don't have any old maps to verify the route though. Some remains of this route can still be seen around town, but between 1st street and the C&O shops, there isn't any trace of the tracks remaining.

Jim

View Profile  

« Reply #121 on: Jun 8th, 2006, 11:30am »

B&O tracks ran close to the Ohio River, but at some point in time were severed on the west side of town.  Formerly they went as far as Kenova, WV.  The Victorian-era B&O station in Huntington has been restored as a railroad-themed restaurant, on 2d Ave. at 10th St.  

« Last Edit: Jul 5th, 2006, 8:51am by Jim » Logged
NS_conductor
Historian

« Reply #122 on: Dec 1st, 2007, 3:49pm »

To an earlier response regarding the unsignaled territory and the form A's.Seeing that I have railroad experience and have ran on dark terrritory.If im not mistaken today the crew dials up the dispatcher and gets a track warrant to go from point a to point b.For picking up and setting out cars they need a form 23-A to do that.Thats what I have had to do on dark territory.Sure is nerveracking listening to the dispatcher ratle of a lot of info real fast and trying to keep up.Then hear the frustration in his voice when you ask him to repeat what he had just said!

M.A. Payne
On cable TV they have a weather channel -- 24 hours of weather. We had something like that where I grew up. We called it a window.
WVaJon
TRAINing
View Profile  

Guyandotte_CPL_signal_in_summer_1987.jpg - 66795 Bytes
« Reply #123 on: Jun 30th, 2013, 8:09pm »

This particular thread hasn't had much activity in a while, so as my first post, may I offer an update. The Ohio River sub has only two signals, that I'm aware of, westbound--south of Point Pleasant, anyway. One is a CPL signal in Guyandotte, and the other is a dwarf signal just short of where the old B&O tracks join the C&O mainline. This is just east of the Guyandotte River and the C&O's rather substantial bridge.

Something I hadn't seen until last summer was the relatively new dwarf signal near Gallipolis Ferry. A recently built (circa 1990?) passing siding has that signal at the south end, and it appears to be continuously lit.

According to some materials I received from Jim Mischke, on the Yahoo B&O list, there were other signals in and around Huntington. Needless to say, these probably were gone quickly after the 1965 "rationalization" of the line from Huntington to Kenova.

Here's the first photo, one of the CPL signal I mentioned.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/BandO/Guyandotte_CPL_signal_in_summer_1987.jpg
Click Image to Resize

CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #124 on: Jul 1st, 2013, 6:43am »

Nice WVaJon, you are off to a good start. Welcome to The Forums.
CHESSIEMIKE

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
hutton_switch
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #125 on: Jul 1st, 2013, 7:50am »

on Jul 1st, 2013, 6:43am, CHESSIEMIKE wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Nice WVaJon, you are off to a good start. Welcome to The Forums.
CHESSIEMIKE

Likewise!  Hope to hear more from you here, as well as over at the Yahoo List!

Wade Rice
Member, B&O RR Historical Society
http://www.borhs.org
Daniel Willard (1860-1942) and Jervis Langdon, Jr. (1905-2004) - Two of B&O's best presidents and managers!
President Leonor Loree (1858-1940) brought the B&O into the 20th century!
DannyR

« Reply #126 on: Sep 29th, 2013, 12:38am »

Unless it has been dismantled or replaced, there is also one at Brooklyn Junction (New Martinsville) on the east end north of Parkersburg.

WVa_Jon
Chaser

« Reply #127 on: Mar 14th, 2014, 12:13am »

on Jun 30th, 2013, 8:09pm, WVaJon wrote:       (Click here for original message)
This particular thread hasn't had much activity in a while, so as my first post, may I offer an update. The Ohio River sub has only two signals, that I'm aware of, westbound--south of Point Pleasant, anyway. One is a CPL signal in Guyandotte, and the other is a dwarf signal just short of where the old B&O tracks join the C&O mainline. This is just east of the Guyandotte River and the C&O's rather substantial bridge.

Something I hadn't seen until last summer was the relatively new dwarf signal near Gallipolis Ferry. A recently built (circa 1990?) passing siding has that signal at the south end, and it appears to be continuously lit.

According to some materials I received from Jim Mischke, on the Yahoo B&O list, there were other signals in and around Huntington. Needless to say, these probably were gone quickly after the 1965 "rationalization" of the line from Huntington to Kenova.

Here's the first photo, one of the CPL signal I mentioned.

It took me a while, but here is the link to the photo, showing the dwarf signal at the Huntington end (south? west?) of the siding.  

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=3163823

Again, I don't know when the siding was built but let's hope there is still plenty of traffic on the Ohio River sub to keep any track from getting taken up!

***Addendum*** Don't ask me how, but my "handle" changed from WvaJon to F74472. Any suggestions on how to change it back?

« Last Edit: Mar 14th, 2014, 12:16am by WVa_Jon » Logged
Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #128 on: Mar 14th, 2014, 7:19pm »

on Mar 14th, 2014, 12:13am, F74472 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

***Addendum*** Don't ask me how, but my "handle" changed from WvaJon to F74472. Any suggestions on how to change it back?

Hi there,

Go to "profile" toward the top of the page and click on it. Then underneath "username" and "passwords" you'll see "Name:" and you change it there. Save it and you should be all set!  

Charlie

~Charlie Ricker

WVa_Jon
Chaser

« Reply #129 on: Mar 15th, 2014, 8:14pm »

on Mar 14th, 2014, 7:19pm, Charlie Ricker wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Hi there,

Go to "profile" toward the top of the page and click on it. Then underneath "username" and "passwords" you'll see "Name:" and you change it there. Save it and you should be all set!  

Charlie

Worked just fine after I followed your advice. Thanks!

WVa_Jon
Chaser

« Reply #130 on: Sep 22nd, 2015, 12:50am »

In reply to dirttrackphenom's question, you're right, B&O's trackage was very close to the Ohio River in Huntington. Coming in from, say, Parkersburg, the line traveled some very bucolic (ok, rural) scenery heading south into Huntington itself.

In Guyandotte, just north of Huntington, there was one industry that kept using the railroad until sometime after 1972, Corrugated Container was the name then but it's been changed, maybe for years. The former B&O track to Kenova used to cross Buffington Street, then 29th St., and ran a little north of the C&O shops! George Elwood's Fallen Flags site has a hand-drawn map showing the eventual connecting track to the C&O line, completed sometime in 1965, IIRC.

BTW, there is still a part of the Huntington/Guyan River floodwall that has an open section in it, and that's where the B&O line used to be. There were actually two gaps in the floodwall, one on the Huntington side and the other over in Guyandotte. I have pictures of the floodwall on the RR picture archives site. Just look for either my batch of photos or use the location search feature.

Both the C&O and B&O crossed Third Avenue in Huntington just past 26th St, where there was a major AC&F plant. At one time, that was a three-shift operation but the building has been empty for years. They seemed to produce around a dozen or so new cars each day--at least, there was always a batch of new or new-looking cars for the northbound/eastbound B&O freight.

B&O did indeed cross First Street in Huntington! I remember one of my aunts taking me to "nursery school" when I was 3 or 4 years old, and I still think of the (to a kid!) giant spaces between the "steel things" in the road. The line went between Adams and Washington Avenues in Huntington's west end. First Street was and is where the names changed from numbers to presidents, and you can still get a hint of where the line was by noticing the little extra bit of space between the buildings, even though the track has been gone for 50 years now.

Not much of anything remains past the bridge into Wayne county (Westmoreland) but up until a few years ago you could see parts of the old roadbed, cinders and all; a former trestle bent or two in someone's back yard; even a former concrete "W" whistle post. There is another open space in the floodwall going into Ceredo but, again, it's hard to tell a railroad was ever there. Strangely, the Chessie/CSX crews still have a track or two near the Ceredo/Kenova yard called "the B&O". It's used for storage, at least some years back.

If you really want a lot of info (more than my recollections, as Huntington was my hometown!), contact Jim Mischke on the Yahoo B&O group. He's probably forgotten more about the B&O than a lot of us.

Granted, it's been a long time since you posted the original question but I hope some of this shed some light for you. Truly, this line was the "railroad of my youth" and I love it to this day--even though my beloved F's and Geeps are gone, replaced by those ugly GE six-axle jobs!

« Last Edit: Aug 18th, 2016, 8:54pm by WVa_Jon » Logged
WVa_Jon
Chaser
  BO_depot_1.jpg - 252047 Bytes
« Reply #131 on: Aug 18th, 2016, 8:58pm »

One of my children found a batch of photos which I had taken back in June 1992. I'll upload one of them, if possible, then perhaps the other one. Both are "grab" shots of the former B&O, originally Ohio River Railroad. I've not been able to get very many photos of any kind in a long time but at least we have these.

The station was basically abandoned back around 1965, with the track going to Kenova removed around that time. Some years afterwards, the station was reopened as "Heritage Station", when a former Elk River Coal & Lumber Co. 2-8-2 was repainted to stand in for B&O Mike 4559. The engine and a few cars (a passenger car or two and at one time a pair of boxcars) were in place there for some time. Again, I haven't had a chance to do much research for several years--I now live five states away!

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (252047 bytes, 1800x1200 pixels)

Click Here to View Image BO_depot_1.jpg - 252047 Bytes

« Last Edit: Aug 18th, 2016, 9:10pm by WVa_Jon » Logged
WVa_Jon
Chaser
  BO_depot_2.jpg - 278781 Bytes
« Reply #132 on: Aug 18th, 2016, 9:08pm »

This view shows the west wall, looking south and east towards Huntington's downtown section. Compare this view with some of those dating back to 1964 or so, and the classic 1895 photo of the train coming into town.

To me, there's just something special about this depot and when I get another chance to visit, I'm going to do my best to get some better photos (it was raining like crazy that day in June 1992!) and maybe even a meal in the restaurant!

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (278781 bytes, 1800x1200 pixels)

Click Here to View Image BO_depot_2.jpg - 278781 Bytes

« Last Edit: Aug 18th, 2016, 9:09pm by WVa_Jon » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« No topic | Next topic »