Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Aug 23rd, 2017, 4:25am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

What if: 142 to TrainFest 2009
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Black River & Western
(Moderators: brw60, J. M. Fusco, strasburg90)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: What if: 142 to TrainFest 2009  (Read 545 times)
BRW_Fan
Enthusiast

« on: Mar 9th, 2009, 5:39pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

We should try to see if the 142 would be able to make it to trainfest 2009. It would e great to see the 142 up there.

Edit: title changed to be less misleading.

« Last Edit: Mar 30th, 2009, 12:39am by J. M. Fusco » Logged

Go Black River & Western!
Go New Hope & Ivyland!!!
J. M. Fusco
Historian
Re: 142 to TrainFest 2009

« Reply #1 on: Mar 9th, 2009, 10:10pm »

Uhh... You shouldn't get people excited.  

The title of this topic is very misleading... "142 to TrainFest 2009" seems more like an announcement...  

Either way there will be plenty of steam there.

shayfan
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Mar 9th, 2009, 10:34pm »

Well I am sure that if you had several, and I mean several thousands of dollars to donate, then it could go. Transportation by truck costs a ton.

Walter Scriptunas II
Climax S/N #1551 restoration volunteer
Photographer
www.scriptunasimages.com
BRWRuckus
Railfan

« Reply #3 on: Mar 10th, 2009, 7:40am »

142 is not owned, operated, leased, or otherwise under the control of the Black River & Western Railroad, Black River Railroad Historical Trust, or the Black River Railroad System...so I'm not sure why this was posted on the BR&W forum.

Michael Shea
Vice President
Black River Railroad Historical Trust
www.brrht.org
joneau261
Historian
Re: Can we get 142 to TrainFest 2009?

« Reply #4 on: Mar 10th, 2009, 8:14am »

Likely because the person couldn't find the Bel-Del topic.

My guess is that 142 is too big to travel to Train Festival via truck, but too small to travel to it by rail (well, so long as NS and CSX are the only routes to there).

That, and it makes more sense to keep it at the Bel-Del. It just fits in better.

My question is, was this idea based on an actual rumor, or did it just come out of thin air? (My bet's on the latter)

- Jonathan

"Railfans are clingy, complaining dumbsnots who will never ever be grateful for any concession you provide. The moment you shut out their shrill tremulous complaints, the happier you'll be for it.
Incidentally, how about donating to Railfan.net?"
rwk
Historian

« Reply #5 on: Mar 11th, 2009, 5:13am »

Why doesn't 142 do the big trips anymore? Like Steam on the Susquehanna from North Bergen to Baird's Farm, Warwick, NY and back? I was on that trip Oct 2000. At Pburg the only way they can go is south because apparently they can't run an excursion on NS, which is all other existing trackage in Pburg east-west and north, BRW owns the track to the south toward Milford. The train is not owned or operated by BRW, but the track it runs on is. I live just west of Allentown, PA and the Pburg train is the closest steam train ride to me besides WK&S. Does the NYSWTHS have an agreement with BRW/BDRV for use/lease of their tracks in Pburg and south? It would be neat someday to have a ride to Milford and back and possibly Frenchtown if they rebuild about two miles of track. Then, they could possibly rebuild to Lambertville and connect with the BRW's southern end. Pburg to Lambertville, what would the mileage be on that? Why was the track removed between south of Milford and north of Lambertville?

SR4501
Historian

« Reply #6 on: Mar 11th, 2009, 10:31am »

on Mar 11th, 2009, 5:13am, rwk wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Why doesn't 142 do the big trips anymore? Like Steam on the Susquehanna from North Bergen to Baird's Farm, Warwick, NY and back? I was on that trip Oct 2000. At Pburg the only way they can go is south because apparently they can't run an excursion on NS, which is all other existing trackage in Pburg east-west and north, BRW owns the track to the south toward Milford. The train is not owned or operated by BRW, but the track it runs on is. I live just west of Allentown, PA and the Pburg train is the closest steam train ride to me besides WK&S. Does the NYSWTHS have an agreement with BRW/BDRV for use/lease of their tracks in Pburg and south? It would be neat someday to have a ride to Milford and back and possibly Frenchtown if they rebuild about two miles of track. Then, they could possibly rebuild to Lambertville and connect with the BRW's southern end. Pburg to Lambertville, what would the mileage be on that? Why was the track removed between south of Milford and north of Lambertville?

I am not an expert, but I may be able to help..
The NYSW no longer runs any passenger excursions
The NYSWTHS leases the #142 and operates over the BDRV which is a company owned by the BRW
The tracks you are talking about, have been abandoned for over 30 years and most of it is suppose to become a rail to trail.  
Have you seen Lambertville recently or the tracks that go to Ringoes? If the BRW does not plan (not yet at least) to rebuild the Lambertville branch then why would then need to rebuild an old right of way for what purpose? They have yet to fix there own part of the RR between Flemington and Ringoes.  

If any members on this forum want to correct me or add any information please do so. Thank you!  

http://www.rvcmr.org

"I am the thoroughbred of steam- Born to run- Born to be free- Forgive them Lord, for they know not what they do!"
BRWRuckus
Railfan

« Reply #7 on: Mar 12th, 2009, 8:26am »

The NYSWTHS was leasing the #142. I believe they may actually now be the owners (although still paying it off), but I am NOT sure about this. Perhaps someone more familiar with that organization can comment.  

The NYSWTHS does indeed operate the #142 on the Black River System through an agreement with same.

The BDRV is intact from Phillipsburg to Milford, although the southern portion of the line is not in service. There are no plans for abandonment and/or removal of any portion of the line.

The former Penn Central right-of-way between Milford and Lambertville was indeed removed around 30 years ago and has been converted to a rail-trail.

You are correct - there is no need to even consider the acquisition of right-of-way and rebuilding of trackage on the former Penn Central between Lambertville and Milford. There is zero potential for freight traffic, zero potential for through freight, and minimal (at best)  potential for passenger service. While it is certainly a beautiful route (and I'd LOVE to see steam on it!), unfortunately it's safe to say that section of railroad is gone for good.

You are also correct that there are no immediate plans for restoration of Lambertville service (freight or passenger) on the Black River System. While this is certainly in our long term plans there are many other projects that are considered more worthy and feasible for the time being. Also, while everyone, myself included, can always appreciate better track conditions, there is nothing wrong with the BRW track between Ringoes and Flemington, NJ. I enjoy a smooth ride as much as the next guy, but the current infrastructure is sufficient to meet our needs, and unfortunately a smooth ride is not a goal that justifies thousands/millions of dollars of investment in track work on a railroad such as ours.

Anyway, I can't speak for the P'burg folks, but I believe their intentions are to continue investing in the track on the BDRV in order to extend their excursion trains further south, with the eventual goal being Milford. So far they're doing quite well, and they've had quite a bit of success with their buy-a-tie program.

on Mar 11th, 2009, 10:31am, SR4501 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I am not an expert, but I may be able to help..
The NYSW no longer runs any passenger excursions
The NYSWTHS leases the #142 and operates over the BDRV which is a company owned by the BRW
The tracks you are talking about, have been abandoned for over 30 years and most of it is suppose to become a rail to trail.  
Have you seen Lambertville recently or the tracks that go to Ringoes? If the BRW does not plan (not yet at least) to rebuild the Lambertville branch then why would then need to rebuild an old right of way for what purpose? They have yet to fix there own part of the RR between Flemington and Ringoes.  

If any members on this forum want to correct me or add any information please do so. Thank you!  

Michael Shea
Vice President
Black River Railroad Historical Trust
www.brrht.org
SR4501
Historian

« Reply #8 on: Mar 12th, 2009, 9:21am »

on Mar 12th, 2009, 8:26am, BRWRuckus wrote:       (Click here for original message)
The NYSWTHS was leasing the #142. I believe they may actually now be the owners (although still paying it off), but I am NOT sure about this. Perhaps someone more familiar with that organization can comment.  

The NYSWTHS does indeed operate the #142 on the Black River System through an agreement with same.

The BDRV is intact from Phillipsburg to Milford, although the southern portion of the line is not in service. There are no plans for abandonment and/or removal of any portion of the line.

The former Penn Central right-of-way between Milford and Lambertville was indeed removed around 30 years ago and has been converted to a rail-trail.

You are correct - there is no need to even consider the acquisition of right-of-way and rebuilding of trackage on the former Penn Central between Lambertville and Milford. There is zero potential for freight traffic, zero potential for through freight, and minimal (at best)  potential for passenger service. While it is certainly a beautiful route (and I'd LOVE to see steam on it!), unfortunately it's safe to say that section of railroad is gone for good.

You are also correct that there are no immediate plans for restoration of Lambertville service (freight or passenger) on the Black River System. While this is certainly in our long term plans there are many other projects that are considered more worthy and feasible for the time being. Also, while everyone, myself included, can always appreciate better track conditions, there is nothing wrong with the BRW track between Ringoes and Flemington, NJ. I enjoy a smooth ride as much as the next guy, but the current infrastructure is sufficient to meet our needs, and unfortunately a smooth ride is not a goal that justifies thousands/millions of dollars of investment in track work on a railroad such as ours.

Anyway, I can't speak for the P'burg folks, but I believe their intentions are to continue investing in the track on the BDRV in order to extend their excursion trains further south, with the eventual goal being Milford. So far they're doing quite well, and they've had quite a bit of success with their buy-a-tie program.

I do believe you answered those questions pefectly!!!  
SR

http://www.rvcmr.org

"I am the thoroughbred of steam- Born to run- Born to be free- Forgive them Lord, for they know not what they do!"
Warren
TRAINing

« Reply #9 on: Mar 25th, 2009, 11:54pm »

on Mar 11th, 2009, 5:13am, rwk wrote:       (Click here for original message)

The insurance cost and the cost to get the equipment in place might cost upwards of $300,000 or more to do the ride you mention. Finesville is the goal for now and the cost is about $100,000 a mile. It's about 3 miles to go from where it stops now. Come and ride Thomas in July.

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »