Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 28th, 2017, 11:57pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Corn Maze
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Black River & Western
(Moderators: brw60, J. M. Fusco, strasburg90)
   Corn Maze
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Corn Maze  (Read 234 times)
BRWRuckus
Railfan
Corn Maze

« on: Sep 22nd, 2008, 7:38am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Did anyone get a chance to visit the "preview night" for the new corn maze event last Friday? If so, what did you think about the operation?

Michael Shea
Vice President
Black River Railroad Historical Trust
www.brrht.org
Black_River_Joe
Historian
Re: Corn Maze

« Reply #1 on: Sep 22nd, 2008, 5:25pm »

I personally didnt get to attend the event, but this past sunday I was riding in the converted flatcar which was very interesting. The northbound trip to flemington was fine, the southbound on the other hand wasnt so good....Apparantly 1202 spits out oil when under power...I think its a good idea that we use 752 for the PJX...some families were not happy after they disembarked the train. Other than that... I thought it was very the ride was very fun.

Help!!! Restore the BRW equipment by joining the Black River Historical Trust. www.brrht.org

Currently working on CNJ 1009 coach.
moresteam
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: Sep 25th, 2008, 4:40pm »

It sounds as if no one went through the Corn Maze.
Kind of ashame, I was wondering what it was like.

moresteam

moresteam
de-rail
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Sep 25th, 2008, 6:16pm »

Come to think of it there was a passenger on Sunday who went through it and spoke very highly about it. Although it is a more seasonal way of having an open car, it provided the ride in a new and unique way. Folks who came out of the converted flat car may have come out dirty but that is the mind set that needs to be established for when 60 pulls the train again. For the up coming trains putting a caboose between the converted flat car and the engine should probably solve this.

"We do not ride on the railroad; the railroad rides upon us." - Henry David Thoreau.

Hudson Revival Project's Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hudson-Revival-Project/151566048238757
moresteam
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: Oct 21st, 2008, 4:14pm »

So no one has personally gone through the maze? I heard people had gotten COVERED in oil from the NEW Green Engine. From what I hear, they were NON to happy!!!!  

moresteam

moresteam
Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #5 on: Oct 21st, 2008, 4:48pm »

i have started to go through the maize, but then I heard 752 and ran out to take a picture...I was also crew that day and was not about to get my shoes covered with dirt. BUT...I can imagine what it would be like at night... i think its awesome.

Help!!! Restore the BRW equipment by joining the Black River Historical Trust. www.brrht.org

Currently working on CNJ 1009 coach.
BRWRuckus
Railfan

« Reply #6 on: Oct 22nd, 2008, 8:19am »

So far so good. I've never seen so many satisfied passengers at once. In three weekends of maze operation we've had close to 3000 people visit the maze.

The incident moresteam speaks of with the oil from the 1202 occurred during the robbery in September. The 1202, when under heavy load does occassionally belch, and this is what happened. 1202 is assigned to the PJX, the shuttle train between Pumpkin Junction and Ringoes Station. Since this is a very short run made at low speed, we have not had this problem since the robbery.

The flatcar is definitely a hit. Hopefully we'll be able to offer this at other times throughout next year!

Michael Shea
Vice President
Black River Railroad Historical Trust
www.brrht.org
NHIWW
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #7 on: Oct 22nd, 2008, 5:49pm »

Could be worse...

I know a neighboring railroad to the south which has had a similar hay car in operation for years, had a situation some years back where their diesel was setting the hay on fire with sparks thrown from the stack while attempting to acsend their steepest grade....and yes, there were about 60 people on it.

Good to hear you're having a good turnout!

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »