Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Aug 19th, 2017, 7:23am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

What happened to the former BRW Pullman cars?
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Black River & Western
(Moderators: brw60, J. M. Fusco, strasburg90)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: What happened to the former BRW Pullman cars?  (Read 390 times)
The_Rising
TRAINing
View Profile  

« on: Aug 4th, 2008, 2:07am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Hello All,

Just had a couple of quick questions I am trying to find some answers to. Hopefully someone here can help.

Back in the 1970's or 1980's, the BR&W had two former Pullman cars on the property.

One was a former Pullman parlor car used for a time on the LIRR. It was called the Syosset.

Today, the Syosset is on the New Hope and Ivyland RR awaiting restoration. I believe it will one day be restored, however, it doesn't seem to be a priority on the NHIR.

The other was a former PRR heavyweight diner-lounge car called Enterprise.

Mr. Tim Darnell has posted of photo of the car, which appears to be taken in Flemington, at RR Picture Archives. Here is a link to the photo:

http://ww.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1140999

My questions are:

What became of this car?  

When did it leave the roster/property?  

and most importantly,

Where did it go?

Well that's all for now folks...

See ya all later!!!

trainspot
Railfan
Re: What happened to the former BRW Pullman cars?

« Reply #1 on: Aug 8th, 2008, 10:07pm »

I've heard the "Chenango" and the "Enterprise" are one & the same. Can anyone confirm / deny?

"As veteran B&LE engineer 'Tex' McCann observed, if Pennsylvania had a drawbar on it, a Bessemer 400 (DRS6-6-1500) would surely try to 'shake and wiggle' it."
The_Rising
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: Aug 9th, 2008, 1:52pm »

Hello all,

Hello Trainspot,

The Chenango and the Enterprise are not one in the same, but rather two different cars.

The Chenango was originally built as a 6 Compartment - 3 Drawing room Pullman sleeper. Pullman only built 200 or so of this type of "all bedroom" cars. They were used as the premier sleeping space on most of the famous name trains of the day. While it continues to wear NYO&W lettering, the car was never owned by the O&W. It is the same type of car as Pullman's famous "Glen" series cars.

It's current (private) owner has heavily modified the car into a business car configuration. While the work as been slow going, the quality of what is going on inside that car is amazing.  

The Enterprise was a diner lounge car built for service on the PRR. It featured a kitchen area, 30 seat dining section, and a 10 chair lounge section.

Here is a link to a photo of the Enterprise taken in service, which is posted on the Passenger Car Index page at Trainweb.com.

http://bcoolidge.com/ANG%20Pix/ANG-PRR-Parlor-Enterprise_11_28_64editd.jpg

I am told a sister car to the Enterprise, the Defender, is undergoing restoration in the Carolina's somewhere. There are photos of the Defender posted on the web as well, both today and yesteryear photo's. As soon as I find them again, I'll  post a link to them.

Anyway, I hope to find out what happened to the Enterprise. It just seemed to disappear. I hope it wasn't scrapped.  

Well, that's all for now folks,

See ya all later.

The_Rising
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #3 on: Aug 31st, 2008, 3:02am »

Hello All,

Hello Trainspot!!!! And Thank You so much for the info!!!

Well, thanks to Trainspot, I have found the "Enterprise". (And no, it was not destroyed by the plasma beams from a Klingon Battle Cruiser, uh, I mean, scrappers torch.....lol...Sorry, I couldn't resist......   )

So, here it is today, located in St. Charles, MO:

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCC&cp=qfxqtg7ft1xf&style=b&lvl=2&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=7907130&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&ss=yp.ACF~pg.1~sst.0&encType=1

Thank you Trainspot for the information....

That's all for now folks,

See ya all later........

PRR4811
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: Sep 13th, 2009, 10:59pm »

The CHENANGO is originaly the PRR HERALD SQUARE and is privately owned.

The ENTERPRISE was built in 1912 and is nee-PRR #7000.

The BRW does have a Pullman car in service, Combine #297 which is ex-CNJ.

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »