Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jun 23rd, 2017, 7:57pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Black River & Western Railroad Days 2008
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Black River & Western
(Moderators: brw60, J. M. Fusco, strasburg90)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Black River & Western Railroad Days 2008  (Read 1279 times)
Black_River_Joe
Historian

« on: Mar 23rd, 2008, 9:04pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I know this may seem a little bit early to post.  

I wanted to know if anyone had some ideas for RR Days this year?
This includes Mixed Freight, and regular trains on saturday and sunday.

Just list some things that you wanted to do but couldnt, maybe this year those ideas might happen. Now remember, think of FRA rules before you put an idea down  

Help!!! Restore the BRW equipment by joining the Black River Historical Trust. www.brrht.org

Currently working on CNJ 1009 coach.
Anthony_SRR
Former Member
Re: Black River & Western Railroad Days 2008

« Reply #1 on: Mar 24th, 2008, 11:09am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

I hope it is on the 27th of June. I will be stopping at the Bel Del and there.

Suggestions...

-Caboose Rides, keep them going
-Add the Bishop to the train
- A yard ride, that bring you to the run around to see the cars back there. With a speeder or something.
- Models of the BRW in O gauge...might be hard to pull off LOL
-Let people through some of the cars in the yard(cabooses, Doodlebug)

Anthony

Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Mar 24th, 2008, 4:35pm »

on Mar 24th, 2008, 11:09am, Anthony_SRR wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I hope it is on the 27th of June. I will be stopping at the Bel Del and there.

Suggestions...

-Caboose Rides, keep them going
-Add the Bishop to the train
- A yard ride, that bring you to the run around to see the cars back there. With a speeder or something.
- Models of the BRW in O gauge...might be hard to pull off LOL
-Let people through some of the cars in the yard(cabooses, Doodlebug)

Anthony

We all think alike dont we?  

The Caboose Rides are Definetly Running.
The bishop can probably be added to the train.

There are a few problems with the yard ride and yard equipment.
1. BRW still needs permission for people to ride in speeders.  
I had mentioned leaving one trainman on for the runaround, and anyone who wanted to go could, but thats still a possiblity.
2. Going in the eqipment would be difficult because most of it is privatly owned meaning "off limits". Most of the cabooses would be on the caboose train. All the other stuff is used for storage or is broken.

I would think the two NJ transit cars should have tours. But thats not up to me.

As far as modeling the BRW...I think I will have it covered

As far as the Mixed freight #60 is supposed to be the engine that is running.

Help!!! Restore the BRW equipment by joining the Black River Historical Trust. www.brrht.org

farok
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #3 on: Mar 24th, 2008, 6:03pm »

With a little brush cleanup, you could put 3 coaches and a locomotive into the north side of Copper Hill run-around.  This is not listed as excepted and could make for some interesting two-train operations on the weekend.

If there are not two trains running on the weekend, I wonder what the possibility is for a photo freight in addition to the mixed on Friday (assuming excepted track towards TB is repaired)?

Maybe have a multi-day/ride ticket option as well?

Just some thoughts.  Not sure how feasible any of them are.

Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #4 on: Mar 24th, 2008, 9:52pm »

on Mar 24th, 2008, 6:03pm, farok wrote:       (Click here for original message)
With a little brush cleanup, you could put 3 coaches and a locomotive into the north side of Copper Hill run-around. †This is not listed as excepted and could make for some interesting two-train operations on the weekend.

If there are not two trains running on the weekend, I wonder what the possibility is for a photo freight in addition to the mixed on Friday (assuming excepted track towards TB is repaired)?

Just some thoughts. †Not sure how feasible any of them are.

The track to TB may be in service for passengers by then. The Photo Fright is basically the mixed.  

The Multi-ride ticket is a great idea. I will suggest it to a higher authority than me.

The copper hill runaround is covered with a bunch of stuff, plus the tracks are disconnected in the middle. This probably wont happen soon, but we will see what happens.

robertjohndavis
Railfan
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #5 on: Mar 25th, 2008, 9:11am »

With a little brush cleanup, you could put 3 coaches and a locomotive into the north side of Copper Hill run-around.  

Now that brings back memories of when I was a kid. I would beg my mom to drive to Copper Hill to watch #148 go by. I loved that engine!

Rob

Ahead of the Torch
http://www.robertjohndavis.com/

de-rail
Historian

« Reply #6 on: Mar 25th, 2008, 10:06am »

With a little brush cleanup, you could put 3 coaches and a locomotive into the north side of Copper Hill run-around. †This is not listed as excepted and could make for some interesting two-train operations on the weekend.

Just some thoughts. †Not sure how feasible any of them are.

Thats what I was thinking, clean up that siding and instead of having the caboose train fallow the regular trainís schedule by a few minutes, use the "Copper Hill run-aroundĒ and each train can run in opposite direction then the other and use the runaround as a passing track.

"We do not ride on the railroad; the railroad rides upon us." - Henry David Thoreau.

Hudson Revival Project's Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hudson-Revival-Project/151566048238757
Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #7 on: Mar 25th, 2008, 10:19am »

Copper hill probably is not going to happen. The switch on the hill was taken out which makes it a harder option for BRW to have the difference in train directions. †

The all day/weekend ticket is now considered a great idea for RR days this year.  

« Last Edit: Mar 25th, 2008, 10:32am by Black_River_Joe » Logged

Penn Rail Videos
Former Member

« Reply #8 on: Apr 23rd, 2008, 7:53pm »

on Mar 24th, 2008, 4:35pm, brw_60_752 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

HA! You know Joe, you should be a stand up comedian, because that's gotta be the biggest joke I've heard! Must be your closing line or something... Well... I guess there's gonna be dissappointment there, because I'm sure people are gonna see a big red GP9 on the point.

C'mon. Let's think realistically. I think that they should stage photo runbys with a mixed train. Not just grain cars either. I saw a beautiful Pennsy ballast hopper in the siding. I'm sure the railroad has more halfway decient (and able to run) freight equipment. That 1202 I'm sure will be in Ringoes for this... why not use that on the frieght?

- Adam

« Last Edit: Apr 23rd, 2008, 9:33pm by adam17 » Logged
de-rail
Historian

« Reply #9 on: Apr 23rd, 2008, 8:35pm »

If 60 is running, she will probably run the mixed like she did years ago, but that's a big if.  

But there will probibly be no guarantee on the motive power either way. It sounds like you would like to see more of a fake vintage mixed, similar to what ran last year instead of the regular mixed, I would like to see that consist incorperated in a night photo session.  

And for the record it is not a ballast car it is a privately owned Ore jenny.  
http://www.prrllc.com/projects_g38b_main.html

"We do not ride on the railroad; the railroad rides upon us." - Henry David Thoreau.

Hudson Revival Project's Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hudson-Revival-Project/151566048238757
Anthony_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #10 on: Apr 23rd, 2008, 9:33pm »

This year I will probably not be makeing RR days. It is on the 21st not the 28th (my trip date) I will also be going to the Bel Del, but since that is my last week of school and if I don't have a final on Monday maybe I'll talk my dad into taking me a week sooner.

Anthony
BTW check out the trust's new website. Very Nice

Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #11 on: Apr 23rd, 2008, 10:32pm »

on Apr 23rd, 2008, 7:53pm, Penn Rail Videos wrote:       (Click here for original message)

HA! You know Joe, you should be a stand up comedian, because that's gotta be the biggest joke I've heard! Must be your closing line or something... Well... I guess there's gonna be dissappointment there, because I'm sure people are gonna see a big red GP9 on the point.

C'mon. Let's think realistically. I think that they should stage photo runbys with a mixed train. Not just grain cars either. I saw a beautiful Pennsy ballast hopper in the siding. I'm sure the railroad has more halfway decient (and able to run) freight equipment. That 1202 I'm sure will be in Ringoes for this... why not use that on the frieght?

- Adam

The 1202 is probably going to be used for passenger service because it has lower fuel economy.  Last year on the 2007 Mixed, they used all the PRR cars in Ringoes.  This year the train is consisting of hoppers and pipe cars.

Anthony_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #12 on: Apr 30th, 2008, 3:11pm »

It looks like I may be making RR days on the 21st after all. I'll also be stopping by the Bel Del first, though, I figure I have been at RR days before so I will not have to spend a lot of time there and the Bel Del should not take long at all.

I wonder of 752 will be pulling a train though. Iíll be glad to see another engine but Iíll still miss seeing her

Anthony

Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #13 on: Apr 30th, 2008, 4:42pm »

752 will be running, I just dont know if it is pulling passenger or cabeese?

Anthony_SRR
Former Member
  brw092.jpg - 86047 Bytes
« Reply #14 on: Apr 30th, 2008, 6:24pm »

I would imagine passanger and 1202 would take the place of 8159. There will be 2 engines letterd BLACK RIVER now

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/BRW/brw092.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Apr 30th, 2008, 6:27pm by anthonyd_SRR » Logged
Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #15 on: Apr 30th, 2008, 9:01pm »

on Apr 30th, 2008, 6:24pm, Anthony_SRR wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I would imagine passanger and 1202 would take the place of 8159. There will be 2 engines letterd BLACK RIVER now

And not CP Rail
? as the letters fade even more. lol

« Last Edit: Apr 30th, 2008, 9:02pm by Black_River_Joe » Logged

New_Haven_I-5

« Reply #16 on: May 1st, 2008, 10:08am »

on Mar 24th, 2008, 4:35pm, brw_60_752 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

We all think alike dont we? †

The Caboose Rides are Definetly Running.
The bishop can probably be added to the train.

There are a few problems with the yard ride and yard equipment.
1. BRW still needs permission for people to ride in speeders.  
I had mentioned leaving one trainman on for the runaround, and anyone who wanted to go could, but thats still a possiblity.
2. Going in the eqipment would be difficult because most of it is privatly owned meaning "off limits". Most of the cabooses would be on the caboose train. All the other stuff is used for storage or is broken.

I would think the two NJ transit cars should have tours. But thats not up to me.

As far as modeling the BRW...I think I will have it covered

! The #60 IS hopefully gonna run!

Colin Barner
Former Member

« Reply #17 on: May 1st, 2008, 10:22am »

Mark my words, #60 will NOT, I repeat, will NOT be running for the mixed freight, railroad days, or anytime in the summer for that matter. †She'll be lucky to make it out for the 09 season.  

The hydro still needs to be completed along with the installation of the super heater elements, not to mention putting everything back together again. †If it takes us a year to install tubes and flues, I can't understand why anyone would believe for one minute we can do all this in a month.  Honestly guys, wake up.

« Last Edit: May 1st, 2008, 10:28am by wm734_fan » Logged
Cumbres and Toltec fan
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #18 on: May 1st, 2008, 11:30am »

on May 1st, 2008, 10:22am, Colin Barner wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Mark my words, #60 will NOT, I repeat, will NOT be running for the mixed freight, railroad days, or anytime in the summer for that matter.  She'll be lucky to make it out for the 09 season.  

The hydro still needs to be completed along with the installation of the super heater elements, not to mention putting everything back together again.  If it takes us a year to install tubes and flues, I can't understand why anyone would believe for one minute we can do all this in a month.  Honestly guys, wake up.

LOL.     Denial is not a river in Egypt...

"Buy me a ticket on the last train home tonight."
Super_foamer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #19 on: May 1st, 2008, 11:38am »

on May 1st, 2008, 10:22am, Colin Barner wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Mark my words, #60 will NOT, I repeat, will NOT be running for the mixed freight, railroad days, or anytime in the summer for that matter.  She'll be lucky to make it out for the 09 season.  

The hydro still needs to be completed along with the installation of the super heater elements, not to mention putting everything back together again.  If it takes us a year to install tubes and flues, I can't understand why anyone would believe for one minute we can do all this in a month.  Honestly guys, wake up.

Eh, it could happen, it is definitely possible that 60 could be out in the summer.  I personally don't think it will happen, but it is in fact definitely  possible.  I will say the chances are low to have 60 as anything more than a display for railroad days.

"I totally just splooged my pants." ~ rail pacer while he was working on a passenger car.

Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »