Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 29th, 2017, 9:26am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Fundraising Idea for Black River Railroad Historical Trust
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Black River & Western
(Moderators: brw60, J. M. Fusco, strasburg90)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Fundraising Idea for Black River Railroad Historical Trust  (Read 358 times)
David_Notarius
TRAINing

« on: Sep 29th, 2007, 6:49pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Hi Guys,  
This is a fundraising idea that was originally floated to the Black River Volunteers Association back in the late 1970s by David Bishop (Dave where are you?) and myself. This idea was never acted upon. At the time, the BRVA was trying to raise funds for the purchase of another steam locomotive. Its 30 years later, but I still think it could raise some much-needed funds for restoration projects, no mater how small. The idea was simple and cheap. We proposed that sets of decals for Black River and Western rolling stock and locomotives could be produced in O, HO, & N scales. They would have been sold via advertising through various model railroad magazines (RMC at the time offered a free ad for 3 issues) and the BR&W gift shop. Not a high-ticket item, we did expect to raise enough money to by a locomotive, but it would have helped promote the BR&W/BRVA and bring in some cash. The main objection at the time was there were not enough prototype models available on the market to justify selling enough decals to break even.

Well, 30 years later, the prototypes are available. Bethlehem Car Works has produced the CNJ coaches in HO, a number of manufactures have made GPs, RSs, cabooses and passenger stock that are a near match for BR&W prototypes in most scales. Even Atlas has produced RS1s for the Black River in both HO & O. The decal sets could also include lettering diagrams and a brochure for the Black River Railroad Historical Trust with a membership application. What do you guys think?  

David Notarius, London UK

Anthony_SRR
Former Member
Re: Fundraising Idea for Black River Railroad Historical Trust
  newcar_1.jpg - 57006 Bytes
« Reply #1 on: Sep 29th, 2007, 8:27pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Not a bad idea. Were I volunteer the Railroad Museum of Long Island we have the same problem, so what we are doing is having Lionel Trains custom make cars as a fundraiser, that people preorder. From what I understand it made some profit. The BRW could probably do some coaches and maybe an engine. I know I would buy some

So Far we have done 2 and 1 is on the way and hoppefully we will do a 4th. I have the 2nd and the 3rd has not come out yet, but I found some where to get the first one. Here are some pictures

The newest one

The first one

The 2nd one

Anthony

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/BRW/newcar_1.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Sep 29th, 2007, 8:30pm by anthonyd_SRR » Logged
Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Sep 30th, 2007, 4:09am »

on Sep 29th, 2007, 6:49pm, David_Notarius wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hi Guys,  
This is a fundraising idea that was originally floated to the Black River Volunteers Association back in the late 1970s by David Bishop (Dave where are you?) and myself. This idea was never acted upon. At the time, the BRVA was trying to raise funds for the purchase of another steam locomotive. Its 30 years later, but I still think it could raise some much-needed funds for restoration projects, no mater how small. The idea was simple and cheap. We proposed that sets of decals for Black River and Western rolling stock and locomotives could be produced in O, HO, & N scales. They would have been sold via advertising through various model railroad magazines (RMC at the time offered a free ad for 3 issues) and the BR&W gift shop. Not a high-ticket item, we did expect to raise enough money to by a locomotive, but it would have helped promote the BR&W/BRVA and bring in some cash. The main objection at the time was there were not enough prototype models available on the market to justify selling enough decals to break even.

Well, 30 years later, the prototypes are available. Bethlehem Car Works has produced the CNJ coaches in HO, a number of manufactures have made GPs, RSs, cabooses and passenger stock that are a near match for BR&W prototypes in most scales. Even Atlas has produced RS1s for the Black River in both HO & O. The decal sets could also include lettering diagrams and a brochure for the Black River Railroad Historical Trust with a membership application. What do you guys think?  

David Notarius, London UK

David, this is a great Idea. Making decals for any scale is really good. As you can see I have painted some custom BRW stuff in another thread, but thats just for me. Now talking to some decal manufacturer like microscale or woodland scenics could be helpful here. Since the BR&W is a small tourist railroad in NJ it could be very hard to get alot of people to buy decals because you have the BR&W just in NJ. I mean I would buy all the decals if they were produced but thats just me. I like the idea of putting a trust brochure with the decals, because this will probably get us more volunteers for the railroad.

Anthony: with your cars we could use the Unity Bank logo for the "newest car" and just change it to BR&W. By the way, how did the RR museum of Long Island pursuade Lionel to make those?

Help!!! Restore the BRW equipment by joining the Black River Historical Trust. www.brrht.org

Currently working on CNJ 1009 coach.
David_Notarius
TRAINing

« Reply #3 on: Sep 30th, 2007, 9:39am »

Howdy again folks;

An alternative idea that Dave Bishop, Jim Dickey (a BR&W fireman back in the 70s) and I had was to paint up one of the ex CNJ x29 clone boxcars being used as storage in Flemington at Turntable Junction as a BR&W boxcar, complete with herald. We would of had a hundred or so custom painted to match the car in HO and O scale by whoever made the model as close to the prototype as possible. These would have been limited run cars marketed the same way as the decals. The same idea could now apply to maybe some limited edition Bethlehem Car Works R-T-R CNJ coaches. Maybe this model coach could be used as a fundraiser for the marooned CNJ coach in Phillipsburg? Also another candidate would be some limited run custom painted North Eastern cabooses in both O scale and HO. A caboose would be something that most modeller would pick up when visiting the BR&W gift shop, even if just for their collections. What do you guys think? Hope all is well Dave Notarius, 372 Old Street, Suite 2, London, EC1V9LT, UK  

Anthony_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #4 on: Sep 30th, 2007, 4:02pm »

on Sep 30th, 2007, 4:09am, brw_60_752 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Anthony: with your cars we could use the Unity Bank logo for the "newest car" and just change it to BR&W. By the way, how did the RR museum of Long Island pursuade Lionel to make those?

A man at the museum contacted Lionel and they got together and designed it. Im not sure whom he called but I remember herring you have to have atleast 450 models made of the car.  Lionel does this stuff for other organizations like the LOTTS and many more

Anthony

de-rail
Historian

« Reply #5 on: Sep 30th, 2007, 7:08pm »

I think the biggest problem with my making custom run BR&W model trains would be picking a manufacture. The ideal thing would be to have one manufacture that would make the trains in 3 scales (N, HO, and O). The only company that I can think of that makes all 3 scales would be Atlas (including Atlas O).

Just making decal sheets would be easier, just like any BRRHT project all you would need is someone who know how to make decals and who would be willing to make large numbers. 2 BRRHT directors are on this site let's see what they think.

« Last Edit: Sep 30th, 2007, 7:12pm by de-rail » Logged

"We do not ride on the railroad; the railroad rides upon us." - Henry David Thoreau.

Hudson Revival Project's Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hudson-Revival-Project/151566048238757
Anthony_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #6 on: Oct 1st, 2007, 6:18pm »

This is a little different but I made some decals by taking pictures of the SRR coaches and cropping them and stuff on the computer. I also have some BRW coach #'s along with 752, so if they do modern stuff it would work out nice and this year Lionel made some nice engine that would be good for 752, while the coaches are easy to find along with cabooses are easy to find

Anthony

Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #7 on: Oct 17th, 2009, 12:34am »

Well same concept....just a little bit different.  

We are trying to design a calendar to sell in the Stations on the BR&W RR.

Help!!! Restore the BRW equipment by joining the Black River Historical Trust. www.brrht.org

Currently working on CNJ 1009 coach.
PRR4811
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #8 on: Oct 18th, 2009, 10:09pm »

The BRE Gift Shop in Ringoes sells "Temporary Tatoos" that are really decals. I have used them on HO scale trailers for a trailer train. They are perfect for that. They would also work for G, O and S. They are, I think, 50 each.

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »