Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jun 28th, 2017, 8:41pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Track & Equipment Conditions
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Black River & Western
(Moderators: brw60, J. M. Fusco, strasburg90)
   Track & Equipment Conditions
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Track & Equipment Conditions  (Read 4189 times)
BRWRuckus
Railfan
Re: Track & Equipment Conditions
  DSC02896.jpg - 61325 Bytes
« Reply #80 on: Mar 7th, 2008, 8:58am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

The truck.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/BRW/DSC02896.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Michael Shea
Vice President
Black River Railroad Historical Trust
www.brrht.org
BRWRuckus
Railfan
  DSC02895.jpg - 50586 Bytes
« Reply #81 on: Mar 7th, 2008, 8:59am »

Will it fit??!!

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/BRW/DSC02895.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Michael Shea
Vice President
www.brrht.org
BRWRuckus
Railfan
  DSC02898.jpg - 49118 Bytes
« Reply #82 on: Mar 7th, 2008, 9:00am »

Here's a view of the crash bar on the bridge. Notice how the bar is totally bashed in, but the bridge structure itself is fine. How about that? It works!

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/BRW/DSC02898.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Michael Shea
Vice President
www.brrht.org
BRWRuckus
Railfan
  IMG_7090_640x480.jpg - 50566 Bytes
« Reply #83 on: Mar 7th, 2008, 9:16am »

Remember hearing about coach #1009? This is a former CNJ coach that was donated to the BRRHT by Steamtown. It currently is stranded on the Bel-Del until we get a set of roller bearing trucks under it to bring it home to Ringoes. That move will most likely be happening this summer, but you know how these things go.

Most of the BoD took a field trip up there last weekend to see the general condition of the coach. We were very encouraged. The exterior shows very little signs of rust and rot. There are only small rust patches here and there. The frame appears to be in good shape, as are the trucks. Once we get the car to Ringoes it will be returned to its original trucks. The air brake system is good, and actually has another year left on its inspection time. It still has steam heat which we will need to fix in some way. Probably connect it to a furnace somehow since we do not have any steam generators. (No we will not use steam from 60). The interior of the car is also in decent shape. 95% of the seats are in perfect condition and just need a deep cleaning. There is some minor water damage inside to some of the curved ceiling panels. Fortunately they're easy and cheap to replace. The rest of the ceiling is in perfect condition. The window glazing all needs to be replaced since it is currently green tinted plexiglass. There are only a couple glass windows in there now, one of which is broken. The car still has an original toilet and water fountain. Hopefully we'll be able to restore the fountain to operation, perhaps with bottled water (5 gallon jugs). Going through the car was pretty cool...I actually found some CNJ and Penn Central ticket stubs in one of the closets.

This car is in far better shape than the BR&W boonton cars and it's already owned by the BRRHT so it will almost certainly be first in line for restoration later this year.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/BRW/IMG_7090_640x480.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Michael Shea
Vice President
www.brrht.org
BRWRuckus
Railfan
  IMG_7127_640x480.jpg - 62701 Bytes
« Reply #84 on: Mar 7th, 2008, 9:18am »

Whoever left he car here left it halfway on a bridge. Can anyone say rules violation?

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/BRW/IMG_7127_640x480.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Michael Shea
Vice President
www.brrht.org
Anthony_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #85 on: Mar 7th, 2008, 3:16pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

I'm glad to see the bridge structure is OK. Trains can still go over it, but that truck driver must have to get the award for STUPITEST OF 2008. How can he not of known he would not fit. The clearance sign is pretty big  .  

The CNJ coach does not look half bad, but being on the bridge is not that great. Will it end up being BRW coach 5 painted up like the other cars when it gets to Ringoes? Also why is it in the Bel Del to begin with?

Thanks,
Anthony

de-rail
Historian

« Reply #86 on: Mar 8th, 2008, 7:07pm »

I don't know what the BoD wants to paint the coach, but as I have said before, I hope it stays in CNJ lettering. The way I look at it, railfans may or may not come out to see steam, but historians would come to the RR to see an authentic CNJ coach.

"We do not ride on the railroad; the railroad rides upon us." - Henry David Thoreau.

Hudson Revival Project's Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hudson-Revival-Project/151566048238757
Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #87 on: Mar 8th, 2008, 11:20pm »

Just My Opinion,I usually like to see the same type of cars in the same train. For example, Steamtown has both CNJ and Lackawanna coaches. Ok, Fine I have nothing against either RR but the height of the coaches are different and the CNJ are smaller compared to the Lackawanna. So I think that the BOD should paint it BR&W just to match it with the #297 and the #322(bishop) because those were CNJ coaches and #491 and #494 were the canadian coaches. I just think it would make the Railroad look a little bit better as compared to adding a bunch of random RR coaches in one train. That likes putting Santa Fe coach with PRR coach. As far as the historian prospective thats a great consideration. As for now, we will just have to wait.   Remember Dont Bash at me, this is just what I think should happen.

Help!!! Restore the BRW equipment by joining the Black River Historical Trust. www.brrht.org

Currently working on CNJ 1009 coach.
Anthony_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #88 on: Mar 9th, 2008, 10:48am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

on Mar 8th, 2008, 11:20pm, brw_60_752 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Just My Opinion,I usually like to see the same type of cars in the same train. For example, Steamtown has both CNJ and Lackawanna coaches. Ok, Fine I have nothing against either RR but the height of the coaches are different and the CNJ are smaller compared to the Lackawanna. So I think that the BOD should paint it BR&W just to match it with the #297 and the #322(bishop) because those were CNJ coaches and #491 and #494 were the canadian coaches. I just think it would make the Railroad look a little bit better as compared to adding a bunch of random RR coaches in one train. That likes putting Santa Fe coach with PRR coach. As far as the historian prospective thats a great consideration. As for now, we will just have to wait.   Remember Dont Bash at me, this is just what I think should happen.

This is also what I think.  

Anthony

Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #89 on: Mar 9th, 2008, 8:25pm »

getting off topic yet again....BR&W has SW-1200 #8142 the black one that was at the Bel Del. #297 has been worked on, adding metal sheeting to the walls as to prevent another fire. #491 the vestibule door has broke on the bottom, and the door will not open. Looks like more track is being put down near the shed where #60 is. one Window has fallen out of #297 and a light cover has fallen down as well.

Help!!! Restore the BRW equipment by joining the Black River Historical Trust. www.brrht.org

NHIWW
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #90 on: Mar 10th, 2008, 9:21am »

The Bridge got hit AGAIN!? How many times is this now?

With the CNJ Coach, if it's in such good condition, why did Steamtown get rid of it?

BRWRuckus
Railfan

« Reply #91 on: Mar 17th, 2008, 8:26am »

There isn't an official plan yet for how the coach 1009 will be painted, but it's a safe bet that it will be repainted in an origanal CNJ scheme.

Why is it on the Bel-Del? LONG STORY. I'll make it real short: As we all know, NS doesn't do friction bearings. When moving the car from Scranton, somewhere between Allentown and Phillipsburg, NS realized they had this friction bearing car on their train. NS dropped the car off at Phillipsburg and washed their hands of it.

on Mar 7th, 2008, 3:16pm, Anthony_SRR wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I'm glad to see the bridge structure is OK. Trains can still go over it, but that truck driver must have to get the award for STUPITEST OF 2008. How can he not of known he would not fit. The clearance sign is pretty big  .  

The CNJ coach does not look half bad, but being on the bridge is not that great. Will it end up being BRW coach 5 painted up like the other cars when it gets to Ringoes? Also why is it in the Bel Del to begin with?

Thanks,
Anthony

Michael Shea
Vice President
www.brrht.org
BRWRuckus
Railfan

« Reply #92 on: Mar 17th, 2008, 8:31am »

I agree that a train of like coaches is definitely more aesthetically pleasing than a mixed-set.  

The BRRHT can only get restoration grants for equipment that we are conducting historical restorations on...and that means original paint and lettering among other things. For that reason, it's likely that over time the BR&W coaches will be returned to original paint and lettering. It's possible we'll have a CNJ train and a DL&W train!

on Mar 8th, 2008, 11:20pm, brw_60_752 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Michael Shea
Vice President
www.brrht.org
BRWRuckus
Railfan

« Reply #93 on: Mar 17th, 2008, 8:34am »

The original plan was for the BR&W to purchase this coach. For some reasons that were probably political and some that had to do with a National Park selling historical equipment to a private corporation, Steamtown could not make the sale. Instead, when they found out about the then newly formed BRRHT they agreed to donate the car to us since we are a not-for-profit.

on Mar 10th, 2008, 9:21am, NHIWW wrote:       (Click here for original message)
The Bridge got hit AGAIN!? How many times is this now?

With the CNJ Coach, if it's in such good condition, why did Steamtown get rid of it?

Michael Shea
Vice President
www.brrht.org
NHIWW
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #94 on: Mar 17th, 2008, 2:23pm »

...sheer luck!

Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #95 on: Mar 17th, 2008, 3:25pm »

on Mar 17th, 2008, 8:31am, BRWRuckus wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I agree that a train of like coaches is definitely more aesthetically pleasing than a mixed-set.  

The BRRHT can only get restoration grants for equipment that we are conducting historical restorations on...and that means original paint and lettering among other things. For that reason, it's likely that over time the BR&W coaches will be returned to original paint and lettering. It's possible we'll have a CNJ train and a DL&W train!

Dont you mean a CNJ, DL&W, and Canadian Pacific train? Have to be technical Mike.  

BRWRuckus
Railfan

« Reply #96 on: Mar 18th, 2008, 8:22am »

Indeed. I stand corrected.  

Michael Shea
Vice President
www.brrht.org
NHIWW
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #97 on: Mar 27th, 2008, 8:52am »

on Mar 7th, 2008, 8:52am, BRWRuckus wrote:       (Click here for original message)

A PERFECT example of what we are striving for is the Wilmington & Western in Delaware. The W&W is owned by a not-for-profit (Historic Red Clay Valley, Inc.). They contract for freight services on their railroad to help pay the bills, and they operate a top-notch tourist passenger business in keeping with their mission. This model allows them to get the best of both worlds: they still offer freight service to the community and to help pay the bills, and they are able to keep that business at arm's length so that they maintain focus on their primary mission of serving the public with their passenger business.

Don't kid yourself, the W&W didn't get this way overnight. They have had their share of ups and downs over the last 49 years of life..( HRCV founded in 1959). Even as little as a decade ago, things were not on the high note that most imagine. But the deep pockets of one of it's initial founded helped out a good bit in the late 80's and early 90's when they were going through managerial and financial problems. After some major adjustments ...some really good years....a couple floods, some minor track work   and some direction have gotten them to where they are today.

I honestly don't believe they would be as far as they are now had they not been hit with the floods. Those two events made the BOD realize that they cannot band aid the ROW and that true maintanence is a MUST.

The BR&WHT is still in its' infancy stage....it will take time and alot of effort to get to where everyone wants it.  

Steps are being taken in the right direction but the momentum cannot stop.

« Last Edit: Mar 28th, 2008, 8:36am by NHIWW » Logged

rwk
Historian

« Reply #98 on: Mar 27th, 2008, 1:39pm »

Why is NS against friction bearings? What's the big deal? What could happen? What are they going to do with the coach now? Use it on the Bel-Del train? How would they get it to Flemington without using NS? Truck it? NS's hatred of friction bearings has meant almost zero steam-powered excursions with open window coaches on NS (or CSX).

Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #99 on: Mar 27th, 2008, 2:34pm »

NS doesnt like friction bearings because they cause more problems than roller bearings. The Plan for the #1009 CNJ coach is that two sets of roller bearing trucks are being trucked up to the Bel-Del. then they will use a crane put the trucks on and move it to three bridges via NS. When in Ringoes, another crane will lift up the coach again and place the friction bearing trucks underneath. The Friction bearing trucks are already in Ringoes Yard.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »